Windows 10: Normal 'shared' folders with company IT Admin?

Discus and support Normal 'shared' folders with company IT Admin? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've just realized that all my folders (desktop, docs, downloads, music, pictures and videos) are shared with an IT admin who I believe setup my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by TenneR, Jul 18, 2017.

1. TenneR Win User

Normal 'shared' folders with company IT Admin?

I've just realized that all my folders (desktop, docs, downloads, music, pictures and videos) are shared with an IT admin who I believe setup my company laptop.

Is this normal as part of the set up (I suppose it's company policy), but I mean somehow setup by default by Windows 10 if an admin creates user?

Fortunately, I shutdown my system daily 90%+, but would the admin have been able to snoop on my files whilst I'm logged on without me knowing?

Are there any other folders which may be affected?

Also, is there a log which can indicate if there's been any sharing over the past year?

Thanks

:)

TenneR, Jul 18, 2017
  2. MiloMen Win User

unable to share folder and Wi Fi disconnects automatically

System Informasi

OS name: Windows 10 Pro

OS Build: 10.0.1586

Version: 1151

The problem that I encountered in the file sharing where company A can be seen in the file folder (network) while company B is not visible in the file folder (network) but in company A can view file folders in company B as well. Folder in the
    file sharing arrangement between the two companies that fit nothing wrong and I set a password to access the file folder.

When using wifi I like experiencing disconnect by itself and can not be determined when the connection is cut off abruptly. Sometimes it just is not often disconnect internet. It turns out things that I experienced was also in alamai by my friend
    and some friends in the forum.

Original Title: Folder sharing & WiFi suddenly disconnect itself

MiloMen, Jul 18, 2017
  3. MiloMen Win User
    unable to share folder and Wi Fi disconnects automatically

Thanks for the response of your answer, but here I said that there was a small bug in the shared file folder (network) operating system Windows 10. You can check back on two computers that you want to share. Later there you will find a problem in the shared
    file folder (network) that is not seen in company B.

In order for file sharing folder visible in the (network) I do by typing in the address bar explorer (sample pc name): \\MILO file sharing folders can be found there. I hope this little bug can be fixed in the next version.

MiloMen, Jul 18, 2017
  4. f14tomcat Win User

Is this a company owned laptop, used for company business while you are on the job? Job use only, or are you allowed to use it for personal business?

f14tomcat, Jul 18, 2017
  5. TenneR Win User
    Hi f14tomcat - Yes, company-owned.

TenneR, Jul 18, 2017
  6. f14tomcat Win User
    Any mods/changes to that laptop must be through your company IT department. Unless advised otherwise by the Tenforums site Administrators, I cannot suggest any course of action for you. I hope you understand. TC

f14tomcat, Jul 18, 2017
  7. TenneR Win User
    Well no, not really.

I understand changes to the laptop is a matter for the company but I don't understand what it has to do with Tenforums?

All I'm seeking are opinions as to what private files could have been compromised, what other areas may be compromised and what logs there may be.

I note that my previous system has no such shared folders - is there anything sinister here?

Thanks.

TenneR, Jul 19, 2017
  8. f14tomcat Win User

It's not Tenforums, per se. If the company owns the laptop, they have the right to set it up anyway they want, administer it any way they want. And have access to anything they want, unless there is an agreement stating otherwise. What I am trying to say is that no outside concern, Tenforums or any other non-company entity, can tell you what your company has set up. We/I cannot advise you on matters we do have proper access to. How you are authorized to use that laptop is between you and your company. Any access to data, private or otherwise, is between you and your employer.

Maybe an Administrator here @Brink ,could explain it in more detail, or correct my understanding.

f14tomcat, Jul 19, 2017
  9. lx07 Win User
    Irrespective of policy, if a folder is shared then the user or group it is shared with can access it. They will then need permission to the files within the shared folder.

Typically in a company the domain administrators will be part of the local administrators group and therefore have admin rights to all PCs on the network. This means they can access anything on your PC.

You can tell if someone has connected to your PC using Samba etc from the event log (Event ID 4624 will show you their IP address) but you can't tell what specific files have been accessed unless they were changed.

For that reason you should not store personal information you consider private on a company PC.

As @f14tomcat said whether you are supposed to have private information on your work PC is another matter and entirely between you and your employer.

10. EdTittel Win User
    One might also observe in this connection that anytime IT is responsible for (and sets up and administrates) a device, it can look at anything it wants to there any time it wants, unless it provides private encryption to the user of the device in question. If you wish to avoid snooping and have access to encryption for which IT doesn't have the decryption keys (often or usually it will) only then can you prevent them from looking at certain items you wish to keep private. But part of what Dick/F14Tomcat was saying is that if you want to keep stuff private, it's better acquired and kept on a private machine that belongs to you. That is true for legal reasons and also to make sure that what belongs to you stays with you: once it goes onto a company machine, most IT policies then also acquire legal ownership of the content and/or intellectual property it represents. Read your company policy for the details, please!
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Jul 19, 2017
  11. TenneR Win User
    Thanks for your comments everyone.

I appreciate that as a company laptop, our IT department has full control and access.

However, I haven't made clear that it's the files of a sensitive nature (rather than a personal nature) which I'm more concerned with.

Having access to my folders (without my knowledge) bothers me though. Not having the system on 24/7 mitigates some of my concerns though.

TenneR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Normal 'shared' folders with company IT Admin? - Similar Threads - Normal 'shared' folders

2. IPC$ and ADMIN$ appear as remote shared folders - and Admin access.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    IPC$ and ADMIN$ appear as remote shared folders - and Admin access.: 1. I noticed in my Management console I have Share Name "IPC$" no folder path, and with description "Remote IPS". As well as I have another Share Name "ADMIN$" folder path "C:\\WINDOWS" and description 'Remote Admin.' I suspect that this may not be good, as it is my computer,...
  3. IPC$ and ADMIN$ appear as remote shared folders - and Admin access.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    IPC$ and ADMIN$ appear as remote shared folders - and Admin access.: 1. I noticed in my Management console I have Share Name "IPC$" no folder path, and with description "Remote IPS". As well as I have another Share Name "ADMIN$" folder path "C:\\WINDOWS" and description 'Remote Admin.' I suspect that this may not be good, as it is my computer,...
  4. IPC$ and ADMIN$ appear as remote shared folders - and Admin access.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Shared Folder accessible remotely with Admin permission but inaccessible locally

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shared Folder accessible remotely with Admin permission but inaccessible locally: I am part of Local Administrator group on a Windows 2016 File server. D:\ drive is shared named "NERC" with Share Permission as Read-Only for Everyone and Security Permission as Full Control to Local Administrator group. When accessing remotely like \\<servername>\NERC\ I am...
  6. Sharing Network folders and printers interfere with normal firewall settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sharing Network folders and printers interfere with normal firewall settings: Hello,Has soon I activate the sharing in Public / Private / All Networks normal sharing the firewall gets deactivated => Public and Private.But it seems that the private mode is activated for no reasons known from mee.. And I am receiving the notification of the...
  7. Sharing Network folders and printers interfere with normal firewall settings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sharing Network folders and printers interfere with normal firewall settings: Hello,Has soon I activate the sharing in Public / Private / All Networks normal sharing the firewall gets deactivated => Public and Private.But it seems that the private mode is activated for no reasons known from mee.. And I am receiving the notification of the...
  8. Shared Folders/ Is this normal??

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Shared Folders/ Is this normal??: Ive Also noticed that on 7/07 another computer is listed in my event viewer. Custom views/windows logs/ and administrative log[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shared-folders-is-this-normal/d447ef24-f90a-46c9-8f17-7bf14f30981c"
  9. Admin share drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Admin share drive: Hi, Before when I was using windows 7 on 2 computers, I was able to access Admin Share drives "\\IP_ADDRESS\C$" When I upgraded one of the PC to Windows 10 I can't access it anymore. From Windows 10 to Windows 7 ==> Network Error- windows cannot access From Windows 7...
  10. Admin share c$

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Admin share c$: Ages ago, one could remotely access any computer connected on the same LAN. One could simply go to Start \ Run, and enter \\computername\c$. With Windows 8 & 10, that does not seem to be an option. In short, if I am at home with multiple computers connected to a LAN (or...