Windows 10: Not able to delete the contents of a specific location(The fully qualified file name must...

Discus and support Not able to delete the contents of a specific location(The fully qualified file name must... in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi team, I'm trying to delete the content of specific cache location in my application but it's always failing. Command : Remove-Item "E:\Program... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by ManhojViknesh, Aug 25, 2018.

1. Not able to delete the contents of a specific location(The fully qualified file name must...

Hi team,

I'm trying to delete the content of specific cache location in my application but it's always failing.

Command : Remove-Item "E:\Program Files\SAP BusinessObjects\tomcat\work\Catalina\*" -Recurse -Force

Error :

Remove-Item : The specified path, file name, or both are too long. The fully qualified file name must be less than 260 characters, and the directory name must be less
    than 248 characters.
    At line:1 char:1
    + Remove-Item "E:\Program Files\SAP BusinessObjects\tomcat\work\Catalin ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : WriteError: (E:\Program File...alina\localhost:String) [Remove-Item], PathTooLongException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : RemoveItemIOError,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.RemoveItemCommand

Kindly help me in getting the command to delete files with long paths.

Regards,

Manhoj

:)

ManhojViknesh, Aug 25, 2018
  2. Rohn007 Win User

Copying Specific Files from a directory.

You can do it with a 2 step process

First use the XCOPY command with the /T parameter. This will copy the folder structure, but no files.

ie

xcopy c:\user\...\documents\ d:\ /t

Then you can copy just the file(s) you want to the specific location using fully qualified "copy" (or xcopy) commands

Rohn007, Aug 25, 2018
  3. NinjaNife Win User
    BAT File That Deletes Files Below Specific Size

I am wondering how to make a bat file that can delete all files below a certain size (in this case 10kb). I have a folder on my server that has game screenshots in it (taken by Punkbuster) and need to sort out the good shots from the bad, and figure this is easier than manually deleting thousands of files.. The "bad" shots (blanks with failed renders) range in size from 4kb-8kb, so the bat file can delete anything lower than 10kb with no issues. Is this possible, and if so how do I make one? Thanks for your help.

*EDIT*
    I have found a bat file that can delete specific types/sizes, but it only allows you to delete file sizes of 0kb (empty text documents and such), and replacing the "0" with "10" or any other number hasn't worked for me so far.

NinjaNife, Aug 25, 2018
  4. topgundcp Win User

Not able to delete the contents of a specific location(The fully qualified file name must...

Unable to delete a folder - Invalid folder name

Suggestion:
    • Run chkdsk x: /r to make sure that there's no HD corruption.
      x: is the drive containing the folder you want to delete.
    • Try to delete the folder again. If still does not work, go to step 3.
    • Download: Download - Linux Mint and create a bootable USB using: Rufus - Create bootable USB
    • Boot up with Linux Mint and try to delete the folder again.
      NOTE: Unlike WinPE. Linux does not have any Windows permission imposed to it so it is easier to delete.

topgundcp, Aug 25, 2018
Thema:

Not able to delete the contents of a specific location(The fully qualified file name must...

1. Not able to delete the contents of a specific location(The fully qualified file name must... - Similar Threads - able delete contents

2. User Name and Contents

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User Name and Contents: I sent my laptop back to HP for repair. They reloaded the entire operating system. They names my user account "HP" . I have now changed this to "pmaye" except File Manager does not reflect this change as a user in c:\Users\HP. How do I change the HP name to reflect pmayer and...
  3. User Name and Contents

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    User Name and Contents: I sent my laptop back to HP for repair. They reloaded the entire operating system. They names my user account "HP" . I have now changed this to "pmaye" except File Manager does not reflect this change as a user in c:\Users\HP. How do I change the HP name to reflect pmayer and...
  4. User Name and Contents

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Popup boxes not displaying content fully

Popup boxes not displaying content fully: I have a problem with pop up boxes on Edge Chromium not displaying the content fully. Here's the screenshot attached. please advice on how to avoid this. [ATTACH]...
  6. Teredo Tunneling Adapter Not Able to Qualify

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Teredo Tunneling Adapter Not Able to Qualify: Hi all, I've been having some significant trouble with the Teredo Tunneling Adapter in Windows 10. I am attempting to use the Xbox app to play games but I am unable to due to the server connectivity being blocked. My problems: -Teredo Tunneling Adapter does not appear...
  7. How to reset file location name?

How to reset file location name?: How do I change the file location name on my laptop? Currently running with Windows 10. File location example: C:\Users\brook\Downloads. I don't want it to say "brook". I want to be able to change that....
  8. Searching for contents of file NAME not the contents of files?????

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Searching for contents of file NAME not the contents of files?????: I have maybe 500 files in a folder, one file for each model of our products. The thing about the model names is that the number of the model is at the end of the file name, like C19QZHW203 and the name of the next model number might be C19WRZT204, in other words, I cant sort...
  9. Find Files With Different File Names But Same Content

in Windows 10 Support
    Find Files With Different File Names But Same Content: Hi. In Windows 10, is it possible to find documents with the same content but different filenames? 121161
  10. "Hibernate" file name and location

in Windows 10 Support
    "Hibernate" file name and location: What, if any, is the name and location of the file that hibernates Windows, please? I understand that hibernation can be initiated via "shutdown /h" but that's not what I seek. Thanks. 22140