Windows 10: Not able to launch certain .exe files with created .bat shortcuts

Discus and support Not able to launch certain .exe files with created .bat shortcuts in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, To be able to use custom tiles on the Start Menu, I make .bat files of .exe files to use them as shortcuts to launch the .exe files. I make... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by JohnnyGui, Jun 7, 2017.

1. JohnnyGui Win User

Not able to launch certain .exe files with created .bat shortcuts

Hello,

To be able to use custom tiles on the Start Menu, I make .bat files of .exe files to use them as shortcuts to launch the .exe files. I make the .bat file by opening Notepad, pasting the directory path of the .exe file in quotes, and then save it as a .bat file. This usually works perfectly for many .exe files in my case.

However, there are 2 GOG games .exe files that simply don't launch when using a .bat file as a shortcut. One game (Spelunky) gives an error ("Error generating config file") and another one (Stardew Valley) simply doesn't launch when double-clicking its associated .bat file (it shows in the logs that it has crashed). Launching the games by double-clicking the .exe files works perfectly and I've double checked the directory paths that I've put in the .bat files.

What could possibly be the cause of this?

:)

JohnnyGui, Jun 7, 2017
  2. andywebo Win User

Custom keyboard shortcuts slow to execute

Josh, I think you're correct in that it's more complicated than just ApplicationFrameHost.exe being at fault. I tested again this morning after a restart, started calculator which invoked ApplicationFrameHost.exe and yet, when trying
    the shortcut there was no delay.

Anyways, for those where killing that process seems to be enough, I created a quick .bat file that first kills it, then launches whichever programme (in my case the sniping tool). Had to stick a shortcut of the bat file on the desktop
    for the keyboard shortcut to work.

For those interested, here's my simple .bat file:

Taskkill /IM ApplicationFrameHost.exe /F

start SnippingTool.exe

PS. Important to have the 'start' before the .exe else the command prompt window opens

Edit: Err, haha, obviously the 1st time you try run the shortcut that delay will be there still! But at least it minimizes it on subsequent attempts.

andywebo, Jun 7, 2017
  3. e.gray Win User
    MICROSOFT TARGET LOCATION NEEDED

I'm not exactly sure what's your asking.... so let me take a stab in the dark

You want to create shortcut to Microsoft Edge, so you need to find the "target" exe file.

If so, it's not that simple... a lot of the Metro/Modern/Universal apps are not launched via an EXE file. So, there "is no target exe file". Instead, take a look at this article on how to create Edge via a shortcut

Microsoft Edge Desktop Shortcut - Quick Tutorial

e.gray, Jun 7, 2017
  4. philc43 Win User

Try running the .bat files in "Run as Administrator" mode.

philc43, Jun 7, 2017
  5. JohnnyGui Win User
    This doesn't fix it unfortunately.

JohnnyGui, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Not able to launch certain .exe files with created .bat shortcuts - Similar Threads - able launch certain

2. Unable to launch .bat file

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unable to launch .bat file: So as the title suggestsHere is the video of my errorVideo https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-launch-bat-file/2c3d04bd-a739-4cab-b1dd-1353103485ba
  3. Opening certain .exe files

in Windows 10 Support
    Opening certain .exe files: So im currently trying to expand my knowledge of windows 10 by opening and reading files like the winlogon.exe or lsass.exe files. When i right click to open in notepad i am not given an option to do so and when i run "type lsass.exe" in command prompt it displays gibberish...
  4. Create .exe file at editor?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Create .exe file at editor?: Hello, dear people, i may make an exe file at editor in windows 10 but i don't know the code, can you help me? Love regards Jamie .exe datei bei editor erstellen?
  5. Convert Bat to exe?

Convert Bat to exe?: Is there a way to convert a batch file to exe but it is not detected as a trojan? Bat zu exe konvertieren?
  6. Certain .exe files refuse to start

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Certain .exe files refuse to start: I have a problem where certain, not all .exe files refuse to boot. What happens is I start them up and then nothing happens. When I check in task manager, the process is there for a couple of seconds and then disappears. This doesn't happen with all .exe files, as many still...
  7. didnt able to create shortcut

in Windows 10 Customization
    didnt able to create shortcut: hi see this when I tried to create a shortcut thids pop up [ATTACH] and see this [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/didnt-able-to-create-shortcut/b8ff4de1-2577-471c-8ee8-cefb48386410
  8. Create exe files from bat files using native windows commands

Create exe files from bat files using native windows commands: Came across this hidden Windows gem I have never seen about converting bat to exe files. I know there are 3rd party apps but was unaware you could do it from Windows iExpress: Convert BAT-files into EXE-files [How-To] | Maintenance and System Tools | Windows Tools, Help...
  9. Shortcut won't launch iTunes. Can launch from .exe

Shortcut won't launch iTunes. Can launch from .exe: The "target" and "start in" settings are identical: C:\Program Files\iTunes.exe. The "open file location" button goes to the correct folder and file. Each time I click the shortcut a new instance of iTunes appears in Task Manager, but nothing appears on the screen. If I go...
  10. Certain .exe files will not open

in Windows 10 Support
    Certain .exe files will not open: Hello! I have a slightly odd problem. Certain .exe files (seemingly ones that don't require an install to run) on my laptop refuse to open, responding to different commands in different ways. When I first run them, I get a SmartScreen Filter alert. After pressing 'Run...