Windows 10: not allowing me to drag in order to move files

Discus and support not allowing me to drag in order to move files in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Anytime I use windows explorer, I can move files by clicking them and then moving them to another place. It's not working from the last time I tried it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ironfist, Mar 8, 2017.

1. ironfist Win User

not allowing me to drag in order to move files

Anytime I use windows explorer, I can move files by clicking them and then moving them to another place. It's not working from the last time I tried it today. I click on it and take it somewhere else and it stays put. I click on it again and do it once further and then the same thing happens, although this time it wants me to type a new title in. I'm not sure what's happening.

:)

ironfist, Mar 8, 2017

2. Moving photos within a file to change order

I have moved any pictures to one file, but wish to move them around to change order. I have tried click and drag and it won't let me. Any advice?

EllenDePalma, Mar 8, 2017
  3. Files and folders

Hi thank you for your help however I did that and that's what causes it to be saved

in order of date modified...I added to the list *date created* and I chose that option so it appears from date created and not date that I reopened the file. that seems to work ok...I have another question, how do I move the icons freely? in order to place
    them where I want them in that particular file...we used to be able to move them in other versions, now when pick them up and drag them to another position in the list it does not allow me to move them . thank you

ROSYGUCCIARDO, Mar 8, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi,
    1. What happens if you rt click on a file and drag it?
    Is that any different from left clicking and dragging it?

2. If you are referring to the desktop, try rt click an empty area, click View, make sure Auto arrange is deselected.
    Does that help?

3. Is there any change if you boot to Safe Mode and try the same?

4. Do you have any system restore points or disk images previously created that you can use?
    (We constantly and strongly recommend the routine use of disk imaging (e.g. Macrium Reflect (free) ( so you can usually get yourself out of trouble without technical help - even if your disk fails).

Can you clarify:
    1. Are you talking about files on your desktop?
    2. Does this mean
    'I left click and drag a file to a new position on the desktop, but it remains in its original place'
    or
    'I left click and drag a file to a new position on the desktop, and it stays in the new position'
    or
    something else

This sounds as if when you drop the file, it already thinks there is a copy of the file there, hence the prompt to rename it.

dalchina, Mar 8, 2017
  5. ironfist Win User
    I mean I click on the file, the button is held in, and I try to move the file somewhere else however the file does not move. When you do this, you see the file kind of follow the cursor; something that is not happening. This was happening with folders and files.

ironfist, Mar 9, 2017
  6. It's happened to me a couple of times. The only way to fix it for me was to log off, and then back on.

Bobby Phoenix, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. not allowing me to drag in order to move files - Similar Threads - allowing drag order

2. moving/extract the zip files with original order

in Windows 10 Gaming
    moving/extract the zip files with original order: The picture shows here that the the extracted file don't have option like "sort by" to set it at orignal order, it is only automatically alphabetically, these images are pages, so it's need to be ordered, how can I do that to other folder? because i will convert it at once on...
  3. moving/extract the zip files with original order

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    moving/extract the zip files with original order: The picture shows here that the the extracted file don't have option like "sort by" to set it at orignal order, it is only automatically alphabetically, these images are pages, so it's need to be ordered, how can I do that to other folder? because i will convert it at once on...
  4. File Explorer issues with drag and drop moves and renaming files

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer issues with drag and drop moves and renaming files: Problem 1: I've been having an intermittent problem with moving files in Windows Explorer via drag 'n' drop for quite some time. I typically have two or more File Explorer windows open and position one where the file is and the other where I want the file to go; then I drag...
  5. How to drag or move a file using keyboard?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to drag or move a file using keyboard?: How to drag or move a file using keyboard? When using two finger click - it work as right most click but how to select and drag a file from on folder to other?...
  6. drag and move

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    drag and move: This is my first computer using windows 10, I am unable to drag or move anything, can anyone please help me I have tried everything I know I must be doing something wrong. I am not use to using the padI have always used a regular mouse....
  7. Dragging a file keeps copying it and won't let me drag

Dragging a file keeps copying it and won't let me drag: I was trying to do a return for health insurance but whenever I tried to drag a receipt from Word onto the health insurance website, it just kept copying it and wouldn't drag. Can anyone help please? I tried Googling it and tried many suggestions but nothing worked. I have...
  8. move a file w/drag & drop doesn't work

in Windows 10 Customization
    move a file w/drag & drop doesn't work: win 10 update & now I can't move a file w/drag & drop. Instead, the file opens. How to fix? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/move-a-file-wdrag-drop-doesnt-work/2d89380f-9e0b-4922-80f2-a8ec3c0b833a
  9. Drag and Drop to move files not working

Drag and Drop to move files not working: Hi, I've recently bought a new laptop with Windows 10 Version 1803 (OS build 17134.407). I was trying to move a folder to another folder. So I did the following: 1. I dragged the folder to be moved with mouse. 2. Pressed Alt+tab to switch to the target folder. 3. The...
  10. Dragging icons opens the files instead of moving them

in Windows 10 Support
    Dragging icons opens the files instead of moving them: If the solution above does not fix your problem ... Perhaps your mouse button has become hyper-sensitive. You press and hold the left-button to drag. But the button/switch might be defective. It might double-click without you knowing it! A new mouse might solve the problem.

Users found this page by searching for:

1. not allowing me to drag windows

2. windows not allowing to drag files