Windows 10: Not getting back space even after disk clean up and ccleaner

Discus and support Not getting back space even after disk clean up and ccleaner in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Well, i notice the space keep on decreasing even without downloading anything, I tried disk clean up and use ccleaner but still not getting back any... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by gradeabra, Jul 29, 2016.

1. gradeabra Win User

Not getting back space even after disk clean up and ccleaner

Well, i notice the space keep on decreasing even without downloading anything, I tried disk clean up and use ccleaner but still not getting back any space, I would like to know what is the cause of this?

Thanks

:)

gradeabra, Jul 29, 2016

2. How To Restore Lost Memory From Disk Optimization?

So I recently tried out Iobit Systemcare 10.1 (Free) and I ran disk optimization. I look at my D: drive and I notice that I have used 30gb (791gb to 751gb) of space, any way I can remove or I guess get back that lost space? I have tried disk cleanup and
    there were no files to remove and I also checked disk management but there is no unallocated space available. Any help would be appreciated Not getting back space even after disk clean up and ccleaner :)

Solved

-------

Edit: So friend advised me to use ccleaner and in the program and use it's "analyze & clean" which I did and after looking at what would be removed (sorry I can't remember names of files which had a lot
    of space) saw a couple that took up a lot of space (useless files) removed, and got my space back Not getting back space even after disk clean up and ccleaner :)

Windows 10 is annoying, Jul 29, 2016
  3. Ken Blake Win User
    No disk space even after cleaning the disk

See mig63's reply, and also consider that it's likely that you are infected with a virus or other malware. WHat security software do you run?

Ken Blake, Jul 29, 2016
  4. marsmimar Win User

Sometimes disk space can be eaten up by updates to the operating system or even multiple daily updates to anti-malware programs. You mentioned using Disk Cleanup. Did you also use the option to clean up System Files (Option One, Step 5) in this tutorial? First time I cleaned System Files I gained back over 5GB of hard drive space.

Disk Cleanup - Open and Use in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Not getting back space even after disk clean up and ccleaner [​IMG]
    Warning Before cleaning System Files it would be a good idea to make a System Image of your hard drive because these system files probably include your old Windows files if you upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

marsmimar, Jul 29, 2016
  5. gradeabra Win User
    I clean everything except old window files but still not getting back space, btw anyway to clean those unwanted update file? I remember Window 7 does not have space problem like this at all..

gradeabra, Jul 29, 2016
  6. marsmimar Win User
    1. When you open Disk Cleanup make sure you check appropriate items in the left column. (On my machines I use Windows Defender as my anti-malware. I leave that item un-checked otherwise Defender thinks it's never run a scan before.)
    2. Use the scroll bar on the right side to see additional items to be cleaned.
    3. When you click on the "Clean up system files" button, Disk Cleanup will open another dialog box with additional items to be check marked. If you decide to initiate the cleanup your old system and update files will be deleted.

Not getting back space even after disk clean up and ccleaner [​IMG]

Another thing to check is how much disk space is being set aside for Restore Points. The below tutorial explains how you can change the amount of disk space being set aside. Depending on the size of your hard drive, this could be another disk space hog. Just as an example, if you have a 1TB hard drive (1000GB) and the restore points have 10% of the drive set aside, you're losing 100GB of space. In this situation you could reduce the maximum disk space to maybe 3% (30GB) and free up 70GB of space.

System Protection Max Storage Size for Drive - Change in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

marsmimar, Jul 29, 2016
  7. spunk Win User
    To see what is using up all of your disk space, download SpaceSniffer.
    Did you update from another version of Windows to Windows 10? If so, you will have a large folder at C:\Windows.old this is your previous Windows installation. You can remove this folder using Disk Cleanup as previously mentioned.
    Also, you may see a large hidden folder called System Volume Information. This is your System Restore file. You can reduce the size of System Restore. Go to Start/Search and type SystemPropertiesProtection press enter. Highlight your C: drive and choose Configure, choose to resize.

spunk, Jul 30, 2016
  8. Samuria Win User

Samuria, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Not getting back space even after disk clean up and ccleaner - Similar Threads - getting space disk

2. Need to Back up data for cleaned Disk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need to Back up data for cleaned Disk: Hi,This is shrinivas, while installing windows 10 over windows 7 to my personal Laptop,by mistake i have cleaned the disk and installed the windows 10 OS.Know can i get the old DISK data,kindly help me on this....
  3. Need to Back up data for cleaned Disk

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need to Back up data for cleaned Disk: Hi,This is shrinivas, while installing windows 10 over windows 7 to my personal Laptop,by mistake i have cleaned the disk and installed the windows 10 OS.Know can i get the old DISK data,kindly help me on this....
  4. Need to Back up data for cleaned Disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Free Up Disk Space does not list Windows Update Cleanup even after Selecting Clean Up...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Free Up Disk Space does not list Windows Update Cleanup even after Selecting Clean Up...: Hi My Windows 11 install on my Desktop PC never ever lists Windows Update Cleanup using Free Up Disk Space module even after selecting Clean Up System files. However I can use Dism.exe under a command window to carry out the task. Any reason why this would not be listed under...
  6. Free Up Disk Space does not list Windows Update Cleanup even after Selecting Clean Up...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Free Up Disk Space does not list Windows Update Cleanup even after Selecting Clean Up...: Hi My Windows 11 install on my Desktop PC never ever lists Windows Update Cleanup using Free Up Disk Space module even after selecting Clean Up System files. However I can use Dism.exe under a command window to carry out the task. Any reason why this would not be listed under...
  7. Back up space on disk

Back up space on disk: It looks like this. My question is, how much can I delete without loosing my files. I have 945gb on my disk. So I need only to backup whats on the computer. [ATTACH] [ATTACH] Is each file with the same data in, but just updated with new files, or do I need all the...
  8. Windows Update “insufficient disk space” even after disk clean up.

Windows Update “insufficient disk space” even after disk clean up.: I have a tablet pc loaded with Windows 10 version 1511. I cannot use Windows Update to change to latest version because it responds “insufficient disk space”, even though I have done everything possible to clear the “C” drive of unnecessary files etc. I understand...
  9. Disk cleaning selection to free up space.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk cleaning selection to free up space.: Hello I need free space on my disk C: because now I only have 27 GB of free space. I would like to know if it is recommended to select "compress the operating system drive" in disk cleanup to free up space. Thanks in advance...
  10. Cleaning up space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cleaning up space: [ATTACH]are those files safe to delete? I need to clean up my SSD storage :D https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cleaning-up-space/2812011b-4116-4185-9894-646e0b17d140"