Windows 10: Not indexing (searching) truecrypt volume

Discus and support Not indexing (searching) truecrypt volume in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I can't get windows 10 to search mounted truecrypt volumes, ie, type part of the file name into the "search windows" box and it doesn't bring up a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Jon Doe, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Jon Doe Win User

Not indexing (searching) truecrypt volume

I can't get windows 10 to search mounted truecrypt volumes, ie, type part of the file name into the "search windows" box and it doesn't bring up a "best match", I just get "no results found".
    I have added the volumes to indexing locations in the indexing options (eg local disk W) and it appears to be indexing it. They are listed in the "included locations" and after a few minutes indexed items goes up from 3,000 to 10,000 but the search box doesn't find any of the files.
    I have tried restarting the services
    net stop wmpnetworksvc
    net stop WSearch
    net start Wsearch
    net start wmpnetworksvc
    And also "rebuild index" but it still doesn't function.

Any suggestions?

:)

Jon Doe, Jan 16, 2018
  2. John Cole Win User

Windows 10 BSOD Kmode exception not handled

I can reproduce this error 100 percent of the time on two different machines running Windows 10 Academic:

1. Bring up Truecrypt and click "Select File"

2. In the file selection box, navigate to a different machine and enter credentials.

3. Select the Truecrypt file you want to open

4. Press "Mount" to mount the file as a drive

5. Edit a text file with Notepad

6. Close the text file.

7. Dismount the volume.

8. Mount the Truecrypt volume again

9. Bring up Notepad to edit a file on your Truecrypt volume.

10. System crashes.

Any thoughts? This does not happen when the Truecrypt file is local. From my fairly extensive research online, it appears to be related to the network driver. However, I have the current version. I'm running an ASUS motherboard with the Intel networking
    chip, but the processor is an AMD Ryzen 1800. I tried an aftermarket network card and disabled the on-board network with the same result.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum topic.***

John Cole, Jan 16, 2018
  3. Windows 10 Keeps Reseting Default Browser on Encrypted Partition After Reboot/Logon

Thank you for the quick response, but this didn't really resolve my issue as this is an issue with windows 10 and its resetting of the defaults behavior that is not present on windows 7 .

This is not a failing in TrueCrypts operation, it is a failing in the way windows 10 RESETS the default apps without being prompted too. The apps are reset if the volume isnt mounted yet and the application isn't accessible.

This PC is an upgraded win7 pro x64 and I had the same truecrypt volume that behaved in the same way. I had my default apps set to applications installed on those encrypted volume and windows 7 didn't reset those apps if the volume wasn't mounted yet.

Ethernet Guru, Jan 16, 2018
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, which search box? Cortana's or file explorer's?

Could you give an example of your search string and the file name you're hoping to find?

Note: never tried indexing a mounted volume, so I've no idea if there's a specific problem with that. Maybe someone else has tried this.

dalchina, Jan 17, 2018
  5. Jon Doe Win User
    The search box in the bottom left corner of the desktop, hover over it and you get a "search windows" label.

An example of the problem. Say I have some photos called DSG001.JPG, DSG002.JPG.... etc, if they are located in "my documents" or any other indexed location on the C: drive I can type "DSG" into the search box and it will list them under "best match". If they are located on a mounted truecrypt volume, in this example drive W: they will not be found, even though the indexing options has local drive W: as an indexed location.

Jon Doe, Jan 17, 2018
  6. dalchina New Member
    Oddly I find the drive letter created by Truecrypt does not appear in the list of drives shown in Indexing Options, so I can't add it to be indexed, so you're doing better in that respect.

I'd suggest you experiment with file explorer: browse to your mounted Truecrypt drive, and see if you can then find a file instantly (i.e. indexed).

dalchina, Jan 17, 2018
  7. Jon Doe Win User
    The drive letter wont show unless it was already mounted when the indexing service was started. Restarting the windows search service, either in services or using the command lines (as admin) in my original post, should make them show in the indexing options.

Searching in explorer does work but very slow, it takes several minutes if the file is in a sub-directory, it appears to be searching from scratch without using any kind of index.

Jon Doe, Jan 17, 2018
  8. dalchina New Member

I can only agree- I've got a mounted volume supposedly indexed now (number of items increased once volume added in Indexing Options) - but no sign it's indexed when searching.

If you use a 3rd party tool such as
    Locate32 (which I've just tried)
    and presumably Ultrasearch, Everything by void tools

- no problem- it just works.

dalchina, Jan 17, 2018
  9. Jon Doe Win User
    Thanks, that has help me identify the problem. Ultrasearch looked great but it states that it only works of NTFS file systems and my Truecrypt volumes are FAT32. I just tried creating a NTFS Truecrypt volume and added some files, restarted the indexing, added the drive to the included locations and the windows search does find it.
    I guess as a sort of fix I can use NTFS instead of FAT32 but that doesn't explain why it appears to index the FAT32 files (i.e. the number of index items goes up) but is unable to find them.
    So the question now is, why doesn't windows search work correctly on FAT32 file systems and how do I fix it.

Jon Doe, Jan 17, 2018
  10. dalchina New Member
    Agreed.. seems odd. I've done a search on indexing truecrypt volumes and found some old historical problems with not indexing changes- but that indicates indexing was working. Then.

Locate32 works with FAT32 too..

Interesting that you've found Windows search working with NTFS Truecrypt.. mine didn't seem to - My Truecrypt container is NTFS. I'm going to try indexing the whole of it - I forgot that if you only index a folder, Windows search doesn't prioritise the indexed folder but searches slowly through the rest first if explorer is open further up in the hierarchy.

- yes, works on NTFS Truecrypt as you say.

dalchina, Jan 17, 2018
  11. dalchina New Member
    Note that indexing a FAT32 USB drive works ok.

dalchina, Jan 17, 2018
  12. Jon Doe Win User
    So now I am really confused. If a FAT32 USB works ok and a Truecrypt NTFS works ok, why doesn't a Truecrypt FAT32?

Jon Doe, Jan 17, 2018
  13. dalchina New Member

Exactly..
    Not indexing (searching) truecrypt volume [​IMG]

dalchina, Jan 17, 2018
  14. dalchina New Member
    Just noted there are 2 fewer permissions for a user for files in a mounted volume than files in a general folder. No idea why or if that would be significant.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Not indexing (searching) truecrypt volume - Similar Threads - indexing searching truecrypt

2. Search and Indexing Issues

in Cortana
    Search and Indexing Issues: I cannot manage to make Windows 10 search find shortcuts inside "%ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\".To be more specific, I created a 'test' folder with a 'test.txt' file inside, I put it in several locations and, each time I move it, I select it as the only option...
  3. Search & indexing not working.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search & indexing not working.: Search & indexing not working & the HELP site from Microsoft Support with the heading Search indexing in Windows 10: FAQ Does Not Help. Using say File Explorer if I search for a file by its name first near the top it reads: Working on it. Then the thinner strip up near the...
  4. Search & indexing not working.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Search & indexing not working.: Search & indexing not working & the HELP site from Microsoft Support with the heading Search indexing in Windows 10: FAQ Does Not Help. Using say File Explorer if I search for a file by its name first near the top it reads: Working on it. Then the thinner strip up near the...
  5. search indexing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    search indexing: i cannot able to on search indexing and when i try to off or on the search indexing it is not connecting https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-indexing/4dfc976c-6238-4bd2-9da5-e390b5e5cbb3
  6. search indexing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    search indexing: i cannot able to on search indexing and when i try to off or on the search indexing it is not connecting https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-indexing/4dfc976c-6238-4bd2-9da5-e390b5e5cbb3
  7. Search Index

in Windows 10 Customization
    Search Index: Sir, I have HP 14s laptop with windows 10 OS and my laptop has been some issue with search index Indexing is not running from few days back and I have to know proper solution to solve this problem. I already done with all step present on Youtube and by HP consultant on...
  8. Search Index Not Consistently Indexing Contents

in Windows 10 Support
    Search Index Not Consistently Indexing Contents: Hello, I think I have hit the limit of my knowledge with an issue I'm hitting and figured I would share in case anyone has any insights! I'm currently running Windows 10.0.19042 on this machine. I am using the Windows Search Index in a powershell script in order to help with...
  9. File Search Indexing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Search Indexing: Hello community, my files from a network mapped drive are not indexed. when i search a file from Windows Search, it does not find the file yet the is there on my network mapped drive. The workstation is running windows 10, my network folder is shared locally from Windows 10...
  10. Search Index not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Search Index not working: I have tried so many different things on forums and I still cannot get my search index to work. Both my C and E drives are set for indexing. And the Search Index properties show no Locations as the Index is not running. My permissions are set for Local Administrator. I do...