Windows 10: Not recognising any USB devices

Discus and support Not recognising any USB devices in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Suddenly, from one day to the next, my W10 stopped to recognise any externally connected devices. I've tried using my USB hub, I've tried plugging 4... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by binks, Jul 1, 2017.

1. binks Win User

Not recognising any USB devices

Suddenly, from one day to the next, my W10 stopped to recognise any externally connected devices. I've tried using my USB hub, I've tried plugging 4 different usb->micro USB cables(to get the faulty cable out of the equation) to the front of my PC as to the back where the majority of USBplugs are. But nothing. My devices only detect that some sort of power has been connected. I can't transfer any data between devices. It's not only one specific device. It happens to whatever I plug into USB. Regardless if it is a flash drive, my camera, tablet or my phone. It did work perfectly but one morning when I got up from the bed and wanted to transfer some files from the PC to my phone as I needed them for work, I just couldn't do it. The strange thing is that device manager doesn't show any errors in the USB section of the tree. So what's going on here? What happened??

:)

binks, Jul 1, 2017

2. usb device not recognised.

i'm running windows 10 on my pc. the os does not recognise any usb device connected and flashes a message "usb device connected not recognised" always.

the devices are all functional as i tested them by connecting elsewhere but i do always get a message saying that the device must have malfunctioned.

what could be a possible resolve to this issue?

AjaySalaskar1, Jul 1, 2017
  3. NevNevin Win User
    Why does my audio system not recognise my Lumia 620 when connected to the USB port

When I plug my Nokia Lumia 620 into the USB port of my audio system to play the music tracks on the phone, the audio system doesn't recognise the phone, but it recognises every other phone/usb storage device I plug into it.

Any ideas how to set the phone up to be recognised?

NevNevin, Jul 1, 2017
  4. pepanee Win User

1) Plug it in
    2) Uninstall it from Device Manager
    3) Unplug it
    4) Replug it in (make sure it installs again, if necessary)
    5) Try it out again

pepanee, Jul 1, 2017
  5. binks Win User
    I think it's more than that. Have one of those USB hubs that when you plug the device to and it's detected by the system, light lights on the hub to let you know that device is operational. Now it doesn't even do that. I mean light is off all the time on the hub. But I will try it. Plug devise directly to my PC and follow your steps. We'll see what happens.

binks, Jul 1, 2017
  6. pepanee Win User
    Assuming you try what I suggested didn't work:

Let's use a method to figure out if the device is working or not:
    1) Try plugging it into another computer, if possible. That's the best method to verify if the device is still working.
    2) If there is no other computer that you can use to check, start Windows in Safe Mode and try it there.

pepanee, Jul 1, 2017
  7. binks Win User
    I know for sure that any devices I want to plug into my PC are indeed working. I had to transfer some files on the first day USB been stopped recognised by my PC, fortunately, some part of my work already was on my phone, I just need to update it, I grabbed it to work then and plugged it to the PC at work, and yes. It did work. I could transfer files to and from my phone to my heart content.
    Edit. The same was with my tablet, camera and flash drive. Different circumstances, but it had the gist.

binks, Jul 1, 2017
  8. zbook New Member

See if there is any conflicting software by placing your computer in clean boot:

Open administrative command prompt and type or copy and paste these commands:

1) msconfig (in the pop up system configuration > move the dot from normal startup to selective startup > uncheck load startup items > click service tab > in left lower corner check hide all Microsoft services > in the lower right side click disable all > click apply or ok > do not reboot)

2) taskmgr (in the pop up task manager > click on the start up tab > click on status so that the column sorts with enable rising to the top > right click on each row with enable and change to disable)

3) shutdown /r (you will reboot the computer so that it is in clean boot)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...oot-in-windows
    How to perform a Clean Boot in Windows 10 - TechNet Articles - United States (English) - TechNet Wiki

Also see if you can update drivers from your computer manufacturer's website.

zbook, Jul 1, 2017
  9. binks Win User
    Performed a clean boot, the only problem was that when I opened task manager from MSConfig, the button to disable, the one at the bottom, was greyed out, so not accessible to me. But restarted disabling anything (hide MS app option was on) and it was exactly the same as before.

binks, Jul 1, 2017
  10. zbook New Member
    The button for disable should be only on msconfig or system configuration.
    When you hide all Microsoft services you should be able to uncheck the remaining items either one by one or all at once with the disable all and then click apply or ok. If you are not able to do that there is something else misbehaving.

Check the integrity of the operating system and drive by opening administrative command prompt and typing or copying and pasting:
    1) sfc /scannow
    2) dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    3) chkdsk /scan

When these have completed > right click on the top bar or title bar of the administrative command prompt box > left click on edit then select all > right click on the top bar again > left click on edit then copy > paste into the thread

zbook, Jul 1, 2017
  11. binks Win User
    Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.14393]
    (c) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc/scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>dism/online/cleanup-image/restorehealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 10.0.14393.0

Error: 87

The online/cleanup-image/restorehealth option is unknown.
    For more information, refer to the help by running DISM.exe /?.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log

C:\WINDOWS\system32>chkdsk/scan
    The type of the file system is NTFS.
    Volume label is System.

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...
    447744 file records processed.
    File verification completed.
    16586 large file records processed.
    0 bad file records processed.

Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...
    545566 index entries processed.
    Index verification completed.
    0 unindexed files scanned.
    0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found.

Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...
    Security descriptor verification completed.
    48912 data files processed.
    CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
    37123640 USN bytes processed.
    Usn Journal verification completed.

Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.
    No further action is required.

233916415 KB total disk space.
    85416924 KB in 277614 files.
    197740 KB in 48913 indexes.
    0 KB in bad sectors.
    563047 KB in use by the system.
    65536 KB occupied by the log file.
    147738704 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
    58479103 total allocation units on disk.
    36934676 allocation units available on disk.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

binks, Jul 2, 2017
  12. binks Win User
    Minor update. Just checked in Disk Managment. My phone is connected via USB cable directly to the PC. No USB hubs or nothing. Also, tried 3 different USB cables to get a faulty lead out of the equation again, but regardless, I can't even see any USB connected device in the Manager.

binks, Jul 2, 2017
  13. binks Win User

Just had an idea. Maybe it's a wrong one, but at least I'm trying*Smile
    So that's how my Disk Management looks like

Not recognising any USB devices [​IMG]

Maybe I should change the drive letters or something.
    That idea come up to me reading similar post USB Drives not recognised in Windows 10 Solved - Windows 10 Forums that has been already solved.
    Good idea? Bad idea?

binks, Jul 2, 2017
  14. jumanji Win User
    Try this:

Download v1.4.0 of the drivecleanup.zip from Drive Tools for Windows. Drive Tools for Windows

Unzip it to a folder, say drivecleanup.

You will have two folders Win32 and x64 each containing DriveCleanup.exe for 32 bit and 64 bit respectively.

Remove all USB storage devices/Hubs/docks from your system (except your Keyboard and mouse) and reboot.

Right click on the DriveCleanup.exe and run as administrator. (Use the *.exe file appropriate for your bit version of Windows.)

After the clean up act, reboot.

( When you plug in your USB devices after this cleanup these will be installed afresh. What you have done is to remove all non-present devices and drive letters associated with them and start with a clean slate. Hopefully that should resolve the problem.)

jumanji, Jul 3, 2017
  15. binks Win User
    @jumanji tried your solution. The effect is - the same as it was before. So none.*Sad

binks, Jul 4, 2017
Thema:

1. Not recognising any USB devices - Similar Threads - recognising USB devices

2. USB 2.0 device not recognised

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB 2.0 device not recognised: I have a new Windows server 2019 machine which I am accessing remotely. There is a USB 2.0 licence dongle plugged into one of the main board USB ports device has power due to illuminated LED. The drivers for this device have been installed however I cannot see the device in...
  3. USB device not recognised

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB device not recognised: Hello All,Just suddently, my desktop has this kind of issue which it will occassionally pop up an error message saying "USB device not recognised", even though I removed all of my external USB devices, such as mouse and keyboard.However, my desktop is still working fine...
  4. USB device not recognised

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB device not recognised: Hello All,Just suddently, my desktop has this kind of issue which it will occassionally pop up an error message saying "USB device not recognised", even though I removed all of my external USB devices, such as mouse and keyboard.However, my desktop is still working fine...
  5. USB Device not recognised for USB Cable

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB Device not recognised for USB Cable: Dear Microsoft Community, I have 2android devices which I tried to connect to my PC through USB, the one which is running by android11 connected successfully and worked properly but other with android7 always just started charging when connected and in PC it used to show that...
  6. usb device not recognised

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    usb device not recognised: hi my laptop keeps beeping and its telling me the last usb i plugged in malfunctioned and windows doesn't recognise it so i should try and plug it in again however i dont have the usb anymore....
  7. usb device not recognised

usb device not recognised: My usb memory stick has stopped working, I get the following message "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. Code 43 A request for the USB device descriptor failed." Any ideas how I might recover the data from the device?...
  8. USB Device Not Recognised

USB Device Not Recognised: [ATTACH] I keep getting this showing up when this USB works on other computers, just not the computer I need to use it on! the advice from 2015 of; Method 1: Run the Troubleshoot Hardware and Devices. Hardware troubleshooter reviews, diagnose and identifies operational...
  9. USB Device Not Recognised

USB Device Not Recognised: Hi, About a month ago, I received a notification on Windows that my "USB device is not recognised" immediately after my mouse stopped responding to my inputs. I tried unplugging and replugging the connector on the only USB device plugged in, my wireless mouse. It worked the...
  10. USB device not recognised

USB device not recognised: 'The last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned and Windows does not recognise it' This has just started happening since the last Windows update. The Laptop is fully up to date with the manufacturer's software. Every 2-3 second the warning pops up and the...