Windows 10: Notepad open on startup

Discus and support Notepad open on startup in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; When I boot up, reboot, Windows Notepad opens automatically with an error box "! Access Denied" - when I ok that it leaves a Notepad blank screen open.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by carrotmuseum, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Notepad open on startup

When I boot up, reboot, Windows Notepad opens automatically with an error box "! Access Denied" - when I ok that it leaves a Notepad blank screen open. I close that and boot up is complete and I can work normally.

Driving me nuts! any ideas? Cannot see anything in startup.

:)

carrotmuseum, Feb 13, 2016
  2. medotdev Win User

Notepad opens on startup

Go to live.sysinternals.com - / and download a program called Autoruns.exe and run it as administrator and you can uncheck the culprit startup or any that you do not need.

medotdev, Feb 13, 2016
  3. Notepad opens on startup

Hi:

I think I fixed it myself. I disabled desktop.ini in Startup. Now Notepad does not open and everything else seems to be ok.

Thanks

WilliamDilworth Jr, Feb 13, 2016
  4. Notepad open on startup

Can you please post the screen shots for startup and services.

tanujchadha, Feb 14, 2016
  5. There you.
    Notepad open on startup [​IMG]

carrotmuseum, Feb 14, 2016
  6. philc43 Win User
    philc43, Feb 14, 2016
  7. Deleted all startuop items. Problem still occurs. Only change is that options do not appear when I right click taskbar. Restoring windows host process (rundll32) makes it work again. But notepad still launches.

carrotmuseum, Feb 17, 2016
  8. davidhk Win User

Notepad open on startup

Questions if you don't mind:

1. Are you using a Windows 10 or a Windows 7 ? Your profile does not mention Windows 10.
    2. Is this problem started since day one or just a recent issue ?
    3. If just recently, how long ago ?
    Is it possible for you to do a system restore and pick a date when you did Not have this problem as your restore point ?
    System Restore Windows 10

davidhk, Feb 17, 2016
  9. Win 10 upgraded from Win 7 last year.
    It all happened after a large update last week. There are no system restore points showing.

10. philc43 Win User
    Did you get as far as exploring the desktop.ini files which were the issue in the previous thread? Read through to post #16.

philc43, Feb 17, 2016
  11. davidhk Win User
    For future references only :
    I recommend to create restore point regularly when the system is running fine, or before and after Windows updates installed.
    I would also recommend that you create system image backup so that you can restore your system to the time computer is running fine.

Meanwhile, wish you luck finding a solution.

davidhk, Feb 17, 2016
  12. Ok thanks - the ownership details did not work for me. Will try again tomorrow. Brain hurts today with this. Spent more time prattling round with Win 10 than any other Win o/s since 3.1!
    Do you know if it is possible to take the desktop.ini file from my laptop and use it on the problem pc?

13. davidhk Win User

Notepad open on startup

Sorry. I don't have answer for that.

davidhk, Feb 17, 2016
  14. philc43 Win User
    From this I assume that you have confirmed that one of those hidden .ini files triggers the Notepad error you are seeing. I don't think you can copy from another PC- you will need to delete the offending file. When you feel like having another go at this try option 2 or 3 in the following tutorial to take ownership of the file so that you can delete it:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3...dows-10-a.html

philc43, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Notepad open on startup

1. Notepad open on startup - Similar Threads - Notepad open startup

2. Notepad File Opening at Startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Notepad File Opening at Startup: A day i created a file with some informations about my Laptop and setted to auto-run when i log in my local account, now i want make the file stop running automatically when i login, i tried to delete but Notepad keeps opening. File was on my DesktopHow i can fix that?I put...
  3. Notepad File Opening at Startup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Notepad File Opening at Startup: A day i created a file with some informations about my Laptop and setted to auto-run when i log in my local account, now i want make the file stop running automatically when i login, i tried to delete but Notepad keeps opening. File was on my DesktopHow i can fix that?I put...
  4. Notepad open at startup?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Notepad open at startup?: Hi, I recently made my first purchase of my own refurbished laptop to learn with. The operating system on it is Windows 10 and I’ve only used my cellular phone to access the internet via tethering twice so far. Today, I turned it on and notepad was active in the bottom tool...
  5. Notepad open at startup?

Notepad open at startup?: Hi, I recently made my first purchase of my own refurbished laptop to learn with. The operating system on it is Windows 10 and I’ve only used my cellular phone to access the internet via tethering twice so far. Today, I turned it on and notepad was active in the bottom tool...
  6. Notepad open at startup?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  7. Notepad Opens at Windows Startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Notepad Opens at Windows Startup: After I turn on my computer, After Windows starts, Notepad opens a file for editing.This behavior only recently started; I'm sure I did something to cause it but I don't know what. The file that is opened is in the root on the c: drive, and I don't recognize the contents. The...
  8. Notepad Opens at Windows Startup

Notepad Opens at Windows Startup: After I turn on my computer, After Windows starts, Notepad opens a file for editing.This behavior only recently started; I'm sure I did something to cause it but I don't know what. The file that is opened is in the root on the c: drive, and I don't recognize the contents. The...
  9. Notepad opening on startup

in Windows 10 Customization
    Notepad opening on startup: When I start the laptop - HP DV6, notepad opens with a permission window. "C:\User\user\AppData\roaming\Microsoft\Windows\StartMenu\Programs\Startup\desktop.ini" You do not have permission to open this file. See the owner of the file or an administrator to obtain...
  10. Notepad on startup

Notepad on startup: I recently had to do a factory reset on my Windows 10 laptop. As a result, Notepad began to pop up on startup and display a message. I'd like it to not do that, but haven't figured out how to get it to stop. It doesn't show on the startup menu. I deleted the particular...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. block notepad opening startup

2. how to open notepad at startup

3. windows how to open notepad on startup

4. after open html open notepad,
  5. sif documents set to be opened by notepad,
  6. startup notepad,
  7. notepad startup