Windows 10: Notepad opens on boot

Discus and support Notepad opens on boot in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Since installing windows 10 notepad automatically opens on Boot. I have found solutions to remove ini file on win 8, but don't seem to work on 10 9015 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by louberk29, Jul 25, 2015.

1. louberk29 Win User

Notepad opens on boot

Since installing windows 10 notepad automatically opens on Boot. I have found solutions to remove ini file on win 8, but don't seem to work on 10

:)

louberk29, Jul 25, 2015
  2. medotdev Win User

Notepad opens on startup

Go to live.sysinternals.com - / and download a program called Autoruns.exe and run it as administrator and you can uncheck the culprit startup or any that you do not need.

medotdev, Jul 25, 2015
  3. Notepad opens on startup

Hi:

I think I fixed it myself. I disabled desktop.ini in Startup. Now Notepad does not open and everything else seems to be ok.

Thanks

WilliamDilworth Jr, Jul 25, 2015
  4. wzor Win User

Notepad opens on boot

Install and open CCleaner. Under "Tools" there should be something called "Autostart". Try to disable things there that may be the notepad. Please read my signature, especially the first line. Cheers!

5. Fafhrd Win User
    What is the .ini file you mention? Ini files are editable text files which by default would open with notepad. It may be some modification gone wrong.

Fafhrd, Jul 26, 2015
  6. louberk29 Win User
    While I do not totally understand I have learned that there is a hidden attribute for the desktop.ini file that has somehow been removed and this causes notepad to open

louberk29, Jul 26, 2015
  7. Fafhrd Win User
    This sounds like it may help your problem, from what you describe:

Open Windows File Explorer (Press WIN+E)
    Paste the following address in Address bar: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp
    Right click on desktop.ini file and access properties.
    Click on “Hidden” and Apply >> OK.
    Restart / Reboot PC and hopefully you won’t see any notepad file on next startup.
    However there may be many other causes, so get back if this does not work.
    A screenshot may help to identify the location of the problem.

Fafhrd, Jul 26, 2015
  8. louberk29 Win User

Notepad opens on boot

Thanks for the reply, however it doesn't seem to cure the problem, Windows 10 boots normally, and then Notepad loads and opens with the message "access denied" . The program can be closed, and the OS functions normally after that.

louberk29, Jul 26, 2015
  9. Fafhrd Win User
    Ok. that tells me that there is a file (an editable file, like an ini, bat, txt, log etc., (there are many types possible) registered to be opened by Notepad) that is protected by permissions (access denied), in a location that opens at startup, such as:
    *C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp
    There are also programs that may be set as startup items by placing them in certain locations in the registry with a run or runonce heading.
    *Startup items can also be found using Task Manager under the Start-up tab
    So It could be almost anywhere, and that's all I can say without closer examination.
    You could post screenshots of the things Marked with a * above if you wish, but the registry would be a long search.

Fafhrd, Jul 26, 2015
  10. louberk29 Win User
    thanks again, I think that gives me enough clues to search for the problem file so will work on it

louberk29, Jul 26, 2015
  11. paddy69 Win User
    I am having the same problem. I disabled everything in the start up folder and still get Notepad opening with access denied on startup!
    Any more clues anyone???
    Thanks!
    Phil

paddy69, Jul 31, 2015
  12. louberk29 Win User
    I havn't had time to work on this further, but if I find a cure I will post it.

louberk29, Aug 1, 2015
  13. YOU
    You Win User

Notepad opens on boot

Next time Notepad opens, don't close it. Open Task Manager (ctrl+shift+esc), go to Details tab (if can't see the tabs, click "More Details", right click the column names at the top (Name, PID, Status, User Name, etc.), click "Select columns", find and check "Command Line", click OK, find notepad.exe in Task Manager, hover the mouse cursor over the text under the command line column next to notepad.exe, and something like "C:\Windows\system32\Notepad.exe" with some other text after it should pop up. Does it say "C:\Users\Public\Desktop\desktop.ini"?

14. YOU
    You Win User
    If I enable hidden system file viewing, two files appear on my desktop, both named desktop.ini. One is located at "C:\users\<my username>\desktop" and the other "C:\users\Public\desktop". 1st opens in Notepad normally, but the latter causes Notepad to open with the same error as the one are getting when log in.

15. YOU
    You Win User
    For the record, the desktop.ini file stores settings for specific folders, like how zoomed in the icons are. The 1st desktop.ini on my desktop stores settings specific to my account, and the other one stores settings which are applied to new accounts made on my computer. Basically, when create a new user, it copies the settings from the invisible Public account, including the 2nd desktop.ini, creating a clean slate.

Thema:

Notepad opens on boot

1. Notepad opens on boot - Similar Threads - Notepad opens boot

2. notepad open twice

in Windows 10 Gaming
    notepad open twice: Hello.I nnotice from yesterday that win notepad that i am using for ope srt files when clik on a specific file, open two files at the same time!What is going? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/notepad-open-twice/9eeaab91-a82a-485a-baf5-520682f3ebae
  3. notepad open twice

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    notepad open twice: Hello.I nnotice from yesterday that win notepad that i am using for ope srt files when clik on a specific file, open two files at the same time!What is going? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/notepad-open-twice/9eeaab91-a82a-485a-baf5-520682f3ebae
  4. Notepad open at startup?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Notepad open at startup?: Hi, I recently made my first purchase of my own refurbished laptop to learn with. The operating system on it is Windows 10 and I’ve only used my cellular phone to access the internet via tethering twice so far. Today, I turned it on and notepad was active in the bottom tool...
  5. Notepad open at startup?

Notepad open at startup?: Hi, I recently made my first purchase of my own refurbished laptop to learn with. The operating system on it is Windows 10 and I’ve only used my cellular phone to access the internet via tethering twice so far. Today, I turned it on and notepad was active in the bottom tool...
  6. Notepad open at startup?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  7. my notepad is not opening

in Windows 10 Customization
    my notepad is not opening: my notepad is not opening and working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-notepad-is-not-opening/e90b3e5a-e506-4d51-ac8a-1e187419dbe8
  8. Notepad won't open

Notepad won't open: I have Windows 10 v 10.0.19041 Build 19041. Today, for some reason, Notepad won't open. I tried downloading it again from MS but received a message that it was already installed in my PC. I ran an SFC scan and everything was okay. My updates are up to date. How can I...
  9. open with notepad

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    open with notepad: when opening a GPX file I selected notepad and unintentionally clicked always open with this. I how do I undo this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/open-with-notepad/736714d7-c63b-4e76-a581-7568d00a2118"
  10. Notepad open on startup

Notepad open on startup: When I boot up, reboot, Windows Notepad opens automatically with an error box "! Access Denied" - when I ok that it leaves a Notepad blank screen open. I close that and boot up is complete and I can work normally. Driving me nuts! any ideas? Cannot see anything in startup....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. desktop.ini opens at each boot