Windows 10: Notepad problem

Discus and support Notepad problem in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Using HP PresarioCQ62 laptop Win 10. (Chrome) Not very tech savvy so bear with me. Must have accidentally touched something on the pad because the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by XBcs87, Feb 5, 2018.

1. XBcs87 Win User

Notepad problem

Using HP PresarioCQ62 laptop Win 10. (Chrome) Not very tech savvy so bear with me. Must have accidentally touched something on the pad because the notepad box that appears has gone out of sync. It moved over to the left and trying to move it back to the centre using <-> arrow to drag it back over will only go so far, not far enough over to the right so that it's centred again. Big part of the box is still off screen to the left.

Have looked around the OS can't see anything anywhere relating to this. Could someone tell me exactly what steps to take to get it centred on the screen again. Have tried typing regedit into the run box but that doesn't present you with anything that appears to be able to fix it.

Advice gratefully appreciated.

:)

XBcs87, Feb 5, 2018
  2. JimWynne Win User

CANNOT GET RID OF EMAIL TEXT THAT KEEPS SHOWING UP IN NOTEPAD?

It's not clear what the problem is. Why are you pasting links in Notepad? Is the problem that you pasted a Craig's List link in Notepad and you see it when Notepad opens? If this is the case, how are you opening Notepad?

JimWynne, Feb 5, 2018
  3. Notepad Problems

We're glad that your issue has been resolved. If you have further concerns, feel free to contact us.

Cheers!

Aileen Alf, Feb 5, 2018
  4. Notepad problem

Josey Wales, Feb 5, 2018
  5. dalchina New Member
    I find a tiny program called Altdrag (donationware) really useful sometimes.
    AltDrag Demonstration Windows - YouTube

This has a number of functions, some not really relevant now, but being able to press a key, the left click anywhere in a window and drag it, can sometimes be really convenient.

Similarly, key plus rt click anywhere on the window to resize it.

All keys definable, various functions available.

Notepad problem [​IMG]

AltDrag

dalchina, Feb 5, 2018
  6. XBcs87 Win User
    Isn't there an easier way of doing this? Opened notepad, box appeared off centre with left of box offscreen as has been the case since problem first occurred. As suggested tried pressing shift then rt click nothing comprehensible appears as a way of fixing it.

Other options didn't understand.

XBcs87, Feb 5, 2018
  7. dalchina New Member
    Guess you'll just have to try it if reading doesn't help.. or be specific about what you don't understand. Pictures help too! Or find your neighbourhood teenage geek maybe..

dalchina, Feb 5, 2018
  8. Notepad problem

If you click the Box as shown in the image I posted it should expand to full screen. You can also use Google to search for "How to re size a Windows in Windows 10"

Josey Wales, Feb 5, 2018
  9. Ztruker Win User
    Your press and hold Shift then right click on the Notepad icon in the Taskbar that represents the open Notepad window. Then you use the up/down/right/left arrows to move the window on the Desktop. If the windows is too big then select Size instead of Move then use the arrows to change the size of the Notepad window.

Tried to make a movie demo (first time) but not sure it helps:

MoveNotepadWindow.zip

It's a zip file so oyu need to download it then unzip it. It will be a wmv file that you can play with Windows Media Player.

Ztruker, Feb 7, 2018
  10. XBcs87 Win User
    Your press and hold Shift then right click on the Notepad icon in the Taskbar that represents the open Notepad window. Then you use the up/down/right/left arrows to move the window on the Desktop. If the windows is too big then select Size instead of Move then use the arrows to change the size of the Notepad window.

Hi thanks tried that but it doesn't work. With Shift pressed and held tried using Move on the box that appears but that didn't do anything. Then tried again holding Shift and using just the right arrow key to move the notepad box to the right, again nothing. However at least I can still maximize the notepad box and use it that way it's just so annoying that I can't use it properly because of some idiotic design/development flaw. Unfortunately couldn't access the movie demo which may have helped.

XBcs87, Feb 7, 2018
  11. Hi,
    Sounds like you resolution is too high for the display personally :/
    What dpi have you switched to so everything is larger for reading... or have you adjusted the text... to a larger size ?

ThrashZone, Feb 7, 2018
  12. See if this works
    Example of an off screen position

Notepad problem [​IMG]

Example of a centered screen position

Notepad problem [​IMG]

If it's a full screen issue (not a maximized issue) press F11 to bring the screen size back to normal
    --- That's also where you can adjust the screen size if you want

MeAndMyComputer, Feb 7, 2018
  13. Ztruker Win User

Notepad problem

Sounds like you are still not doing it right. You only hold the shift key down when you right click on the Notepad icon and select Move. Then you let go of the Shift key. AT that point you should be able to use the Arrow keys to move the window around. When done, press ENter.

Ztruker, Feb 8, 2018
  14. I understand what you see is annoying but the issue isn't related to "some idiotic design/development flaw."
    There have been some excellent recommendations, please select one and follow the instructions to a T.

MeAndMyComputer, Feb 8, 2018
  15. If post #10 1st pic is the bug you have?

Right click on Notepad title bar or any title bar to see move and size. When done, Notepad will always open at the same place.

Right click Notepad on the taskbar with shift key is another ball game. For the rest, maybe you have changed something in Notepad properties?

MikeMecanic, Feb 8, 2018
Thema:

Notepad problem

1. Notepad problem - Similar Threads - Notepad problem

2. I have problem in my Notepad . I am facing Overwriting problem in my Notepad.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have problem in my Notepad . I am facing Overwriting problem in my Notepad.: I have problem in my Notepad . I am facing Overwriting problem in my Notepad so how to disable this feature in my Notepad in window 10.please help to disable this feature....
  3. I have problem in my Notepad . I am facing Overwriting problem in my Notepad.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I have problem in my Notepad . I am facing Overwriting problem in my Notepad.: I have problem in my Notepad . I am facing Overwriting problem in my Notepad so how to disable this feature in my Notepad in window 10.please help to disable this feature....
  4. I have problem in my Notepad . I am facing Overwriting problem in my Notepad.

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. problem when installing the classic notepad

in Windows 10 Gaming
    problem when installing the classic notepad: Hello and Welcome. I have installed classic notepad in windows11 from settings>apps>additional features. Now, when I uninstall New Notepad to use the Classic one, the option Text Document in New submenu does not appear in the context menu. What is the solution? Windows11 pro,...
  6. problem when installing the classic notepad

problem when installing the classic notepad: Hello and Welcome. I have installed classic notepad in windows11 from settings>apps>additional features. Now, when I uninstall New Notepad to use the Classic one, the option Text Document in New submenu does not appear in the context menu. What is the solution? Windows11 pro,...
  7. Everything I download opens under notepad how can I fix this problem?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Everything I download opens under notepad how can I fix this problem?: I accidentally when downloading a file selected open with notepad, and "always open these types of files with notepad" so now whenever I download something Instead of a file it opens as a notepad, and when I do "open with", "more apps" I want to use file explorer but it...
  8. Everything I download opens under notepad how can I fix this problem?

Everything I download opens under notepad how can I fix this problem?: I accidentally when downloading a file selected open with notepad, and "always open these types of files with notepad" so now whenever I download something Instead of a file it opens as a notepad, and when I do "open with", "more apps" I want to use file explorer but it...
  9. Everything I download opens under notepad how can I fix this problem?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  10. Everything I download opens under notepad how can I fix this problem?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Everything I download opens under notepad how can I fix this problem?: Whenever I try downloading .RAR files, they always download as notepad and if I click "open with" it doesn't say file explorer, all it says is notepad paint paint 3D, or internet explorer, any help?...