Windows 10: Nothing seems to be working AT ALL

Discus and support Nothing seems to be working AT ALL in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So I recently upgraded my laptop and desktop to Windows 10, had absolutley no issues with my laptop, however last night 08/06/15 I upgraded my desktop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Danbanna, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Danbanna Win User

Nothing seems to be working AT ALL

So I recently upgraded my laptop and desktop to Windows 10, had absolutley no issues with my laptop, however last night 08/06/15 I upgraded my desktop as well (both were running windows 8 and had no issues with either). When windows loads up the wallpaper is just a black screen, the search button on the taskbar is greyed out, I can not click on the start button, or even try to open it with the windows key. I tried to adjust settings to at least see what windows was doing but when I try to go to any settings associated with Windows I get this message:
    ms-settings*Tongueersonalization-background
    This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Programs control panel.
    I would show a screenshot but microsoft explorer says the same thing, anything that has to do with windows gives me this message. I got into the device manager through a dos prompt, and made sure ALL my drivers were up to date, restarted several times and still get the same thing... Is anyone else having this issue, or has seen this issue on the forums that can maybe help me out a little

:)

Danbanna, Aug 7, 2015

2. Nothing except task manager seems to be working after sign in

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the update and response,

Yes you could reset the system by keeping you files as option and check if the issue persists.

Let us try to reset the PC by choosing Keep my files, this will:

• Reinstalls Windows 10 and keeps your personal files.
    • Removes apps and drivers you installed.
    • Removes changes you made to settings.
    • Removes any apps your PC manufacturer installed. (If your PC came with Windows 10,apps from your PC manufacturer will be reinstalled.)
    Resetting lets you choose whether to keep your files or remove them, and then reinstalls Windows.

I suggest you to refer to the section Reset your PC in the following article and check if it helps.

Recovery options in Windows 10

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-10-recovery-options

Disclaimer: All of your settings will be reset. All apps that you installed will be removed. Only apps that came with your PC will be reinstalled. If you upgraded your PC from previous
    version of Windows, resetting your PC will restore earlier version. You’ll need to upgrade again after the reset has finished.

Note: Please select
    Keep my files. Microsoft is not responsible for any data loss.

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows, we are glad to assist you.

Anup Karkal, Aug 7, 2015
  3. Nothing except task manager seems to be working after sign in

Hi Anup thank you for your response,

I haven't made any settings changes that I know about,

as I said a have received the two error messages:

-exploror.exe -application error:

The instruction at 0x00007FFB7120B6C) referenced memory at 0x0000000002952060. The required data was not placed into memory because of an I/O error status of 0xc0000185.

- Blue screen with the message critical process died

as I said the desktop shows up however the only thing that seems to work is task manager (nothing else will open or stay open).

after much waiting the SFC ran however it returned:

- Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

System maintenance troubleshooter returned:

- No changes or updates were necessary

(I also re-ran as an admin which returned the same)

The clean boot seemed to do nothing different

(is there anything I should do whilst clean booted?)

I got the event viewer open but I'm not sure what I'm looking for; there are 2795 errors in the last 7 days with most being in the last 24 hours, my laptop has not been working properly for a couple of weeks at-least.

I guess if I could (very slowly) accomplish these tasks through task manager I may also be able to delete some un-needed stuff so as to reset my computer and keep all my files?

is there an easy way to accomplish this?

or even back up everything to a portable hard-drive?

thank you,

Adam

AdamRichards95, Aug 7, 2015
  4. seagula Win User

Try making a new user admin account?

seagula, Aug 7, 2015
  5. YOU
    You Win User
    If a new user doesn't work, it looks like there is something wrong with the file associations in the registry. A refresh or reset might work, but 'll lose everything with a reset, although can keep r files if refresh.

6. YOU
    You Win User
    If try to open Notepad manually by opening the Run dialog (Winkey+R), typing notepad.exe, and clicking OK, will it open?

7. Once Windows does its thing and appears to be finished and you're at the desktop you may need to restart one more time.

fracking4oil, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Nothing seems to be working AT ALL - Similar Threads - Nothing seems working

2. Account is Locked Out and Nothing Seems to be Working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Account is Locked Out and Nothing Seems to be Working: I am setting up a new PC and am having the following issue: When I start the computer, despite having logged into my Microsoft account last night, I'm shown the Desktop account with a normal sign in button. Upon pressing "Sign In" I am given the message "The referenced...
  3. Account is Locked Out and Nothing Seems to be Working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Account is Locked Out and Nothing Seems to be Working: I am setting up a new PC and am having the following issue: When I start the computer, despite having logged into my Microsoft account last night, I'm shown the Desktop account with a normal sign in button. Upon pressing "Sign In" I am given the message "The referenced...
  4. NET ERROR 2182--Nothing seems to work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    NET ERROR 2182--Nothing seems to work: I'm running Windows 11 W11 on a Dell laptop. When I try to play Microsoft Minesweeper's Treasure Hunt sub-game, I can't pick anything up. I've repaired, reset and reinstalled the app several times, but the problem won't go away. After running the Windows Store troubleshooter...
  5. NET ERROR 2182--Nothing seems to work

NET ERROR 2182--Nothing seems to work: I'm running Windows 11 W11 on a Dell laptop. When I try to play Microsoft Minesweeper's Treasure Hunt sub-game, I can't pick anything up. I've repaired, reset and reinstalled the app several times, but the problem won't go away. After running the Windows Store troubleshooter...
  6. Clock wont sync, nothing seems to work.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clock wont sync, nothing seems to work.: My system clock is always showing the wrong time and it wont sync, last time it successfully synced was in 2019. I have tried: running an SFC scan, Updating windows, going into services.msc but nothing in the time tab is selectable, I have tried changing where it syncs from...
  7. Clock wont sync, nothing seems to work.

Clock wont sync, nothing seems to work.: My system clock is always showing the wrong time and it wont sync, last time it successfully synced was in 2019. I have tried: running an SFC scan, Updating windows, going into services.msc but nothing in the time tab is selectable, I have tried changing where it syncs from...
  8. Clock wont sync, nothing seems to work.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  9. windows 10 stuck nothing seem to work

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    windows 10 stuck nothing seem to work: this issue appeared today,i turned on my pc and the first thing i noted that my applictions are not working some of them doesnt have symbols and pictures cannot be open and wont loadand when i try to go to my pc settings to recovery it just stuck and a massage appearing...
  10. Nothing works at all

in Windows 10 Support
    Nothing works at all: So I just updated to win10 from win7 and it has given me nothing but problems. Here is a list of features unavailable (when I click them the explorer either crashes, doesn't respond at all, or gives a blank screen): *I cannot connect to the internet. *I cannot open network...