Windows 10: Notifocation of W-10 update genuine? Freezes computer, can"t verify.

Discus and support Notifocation of W-10 update genuine? Freezes computer, can"t verify. in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Thursday night a red box appeared on my computer screen. lt locked my computer, would not allow me to close it or remove it. It contained a text along... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Ron S, Jun 25, 2017.

1. Ron S Win User

Notifocation of W-10 update genuine? Freezes computer, can"t verify.

Thursday night a red box appeared on my computer screen. lt locked my computer, would not allow me to close it or remove it. It contained a text along the lines of "It's Here! The new update for windows 10. This apparent virus would not allow task Manager to operate and could not be removed from the computer. To prevent the virus from proceeding to damage my computer, I shut down the computer, un-plugged it and removed the ethernet cable to prevent additional damage. I spent an entire day researching how to remove such a persistent virus.
    Then I discovered that coincidentally Microsoft issued an update to windows 10 the same evening as I experienced the infection with this virus. So I wonder:
    Would Microsoft create a virus that locks my computer and demands my cooperation with its operation while supplying no authentication and no opportunity to learn anything about it? Could the delivery of this virus possibly be an intentional act of Microsoft? I would like to know for certain whether this apparent virus is a Microsoft- created abomination.
    Has anyone trusted this red box enough to click on it? What were the results?

:)

Ron S, Jun 25, 2017
  2. Louvers Win User

Installing Windows 10

Hi. I can download windows 10 but installation is stopped by the requirement to uninstall a "Samsung Recovery Solution" programme which does not exist on the computer programmes list and which the computer (Samsung of course) fails to uninstall when requested
    and simply shows "refresh" which it won`t. Thereafter we start again - any ideas about how to install W 10? Thanks

Louvers, Jun 25, 2017
  3. PC + NET Win User
    Windows 10 Anniversary Updates caused boot loop and loss of applications

've been there, done that. The trouble with system restore is that as soon as the "BAD" updates needs to be installed it will create the same problem. Is there any way to stop or ignore W 10 updates until (or forever) there is a fix from Windows 10 genius
    team. My computer became totally useless booting in loop and ALL MS and Windows original apps free and eventually freeze the PC. strange enough not any of 3rd party apps will do that. I guess I can run Ubuntu for that.

PC + NET, Jun 25, 2017
  4. essenbe Win User

*Ditto Whatever you have did not come from Microsoft.

essenbe, Jun 25, 2017
  5. Ron S Win User
    Can you or anyone suggest a way to remove the virus? Haven;t been able to enter safe mode. I did trya windows repair program called system restore, which failed at two restore points.

Ron S, Jun 25, 2017
  6. Download MalwareBytes and run a Full scan then run a full scan with Defender

Josey Wales, Jun 25, 2017
  7. Ron S Win User
    When I turn on the computer either the W-10 update or the virus starts to run, displaying the message "do not turn off your computer" in a manner resembling a real update. I have to turn the power on and off a few times to access the MS repair programs. Windows defender is not available in the selection at that point. I think it may be available in safe mode, I imagine it would be preferred to use the Malwarebytes program before running the W-10 update program if I can make safe mode work.
    The problem seems exquisite because the update program likely reduces the operating system's defenses as it runs. How would I activate Malwarebytes under these circumstances?

Ron S, Jun 25, 2017
  8. Notifocation of W-10 update genuine? Freezes computer, can"t verify.

It is not a Virus. Pull out your Ethernet cable then shut off your PC. Turn on your PC and let it boot. When it gets to windows Right Click on The Task Manger and stop the Windows Update. Then open administrative Tools and run Disk Cleanup as an admin. Thia is to all be done without your internet on. After you do this place a check mark in every box and run the program. Let us know what happens after this.

9. Well I have things to do..

10. Ron S Win User
    Will try. Don't know whether task manager will come up using alt/ctrl/delete on the keyboad during the update. I'll let you know.

Ron S, Jun 25, 2017
  11. essenbe Win User
    I'm curious. Why do you think it is a virus? Have you ever gone through an upgrade with Windows 10 before? It is changing portions or all of your Operating System if that's what is happening. Of course nothing would work. IF it is an update/upgrade it is normal. IF it is in fact a virus, there is a problem. WE do not have enough information to tell which it is. But, if it is a normal upgrade it is not a virus.

In the event it is an upgrade, Josey Wales is trying to show you how to stop it. But if it has already begun, you may not have a functioning Operating System to go back to. Hopefully it will roll back to your previous system. All that is, if it is not something other than a normal upgrade, which happens often with Windows 10.

essenbe, Jun 25, 2017
  12. mrgeek Win User
    I think, at this point, if you can post a picture of the screen at startup, it would help us to determine if a real WU is trying to install {displaying the message "do not turn off your computer"=Normal} or it's a fake message generated by malware {red box=Not Normal}. Take it with your phone, if screenshot is not possible.

If you could get to System Restore, that tells me that you can get to the RE, so Safe Mode will be under Startup Settings in Advanced Options

mrgeek, Jun 25, 2017
  13. Ron S Win User

I followed the above instructions and deleted 16+ GB of data. Then was able to enter secure mode, where I used windows defender to identify and delete two trojans which had been present since May. Windows defender hadn't caught them previously; maybe they are newly identified. Couldn't download in secure mode.

On return to regular mode, a blue box appeared, bearing white lettering. Again this box froze the screen, disabled task master and couldn't be deleted. Again this box offered three links, to "upgrade now", "upgrade later" or "sleep". Can it be that the blue background color is sufficient authentication?

Is this the right time to shut down the W-10 upgrade on start-up (Task Master did work immediately on start up) and then download and run Malwarebytes? Seems logical now.

Wondering if anyone has actually clicked on the blue box with white test, and what ensued.

Ron S, Jun 25, 2017
  14. mrgeek Win User
    "this box offered three links, to "upgrade now", "upgrade later" or "sleep"."

This appears legitimate but to be sure, take a screen shot or phone photo of the screen and post so we can see what you see. Highly unlikely the trojans have anything to do with your issue. Good Luck

mrgeek, Jun 25, 2017
  15. Just right click on the taskbar and choose task Manager.

Thema:

1. Notifocation of W-10 update genuine? Freezes computer, can"t verify. - Similar Threads - Notifocation update genuine

2. To verify Windows 10 product is Genuine or not. Please assist

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    To verify Windows 10 product is Genuine or not. Please assist: [ATTACH]To verify Windows 10 product is Genuine or not. Please assist https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/to-verify-windows-10-product-is-genuine-or-not/a115f9c9-229d-4a24-ba9a-fa994d7edea7
  3. cant verify identity on windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    cant verify identity on windows 10: every time I go to click on the verify identity option it closes before it can load it so I can't even do anything with it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-verify-identity-on-windows-10/89070a77-6e04-41d1-a97f-c02a220d8501
  4. Cant verify account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Cant verify account: A few days ago I went to sign into my Microsoft windows account on my PC and it said I was signed into a temporary account until I can verify my account and when I went to verify it it wanted to send a code to an old phone number that is no longer in service and when I went...
  5. TO verify Windows 10 genuine Or Not

TO verify Windows 10 genuine Or Not: Hello Kindly i Hoppe to find Clear Way to confirm windows genuine or Not Some told By if Flag of PC manufacture Found Like attached picture Down [ATTACH] Like This its Shown Acer Flags But i think Due the Licenses key are OEM Come flag of Laptop manufacture...
  6. SoftwareDistribution folder w/ MS genuine content ?

SoftwareDistribution folder w/ MS genuine content ?: Hi, How can I be sure that c:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder receives only certified MS content ( Windows Updates and alike )? Or can this folder's content be tampered somehow ( even theoretically ) ? Just a thought *Think Thank you for taking your time to read this....
  7. Cant log into computer w windows acc

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Cant log into computer w windows acc: when i try to log into my computer, it says incorrect password but it is the right password. I can log into my windows account on my phone but I cant on my computer. I tried changing my password four times and it still doesnt work. I tried using on screen keyboard and booting...
  8. Cant update W 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cant update W 10: Using Windows update error message, Checking for Updates- Your Device is missing important security and quality fixes and so Update does not work. Help please Thanks Thomas...
  9. Updates freezing new computer and verify identity for microsoft account not respondig

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Updates freezing new computer and verify identity for microsoft account not respondig: Hello all, New Asus laptop with Windows 10. Everything goes to hell with automatic updates. Constantly trys and fails to install and then the computer starts to freeze, especially video. I have to reboot everything and prevent updates by claiming to have a metered...
  10. W 10 "freezes"

in Windows 10 Support
    W 10 "freezes": Hi there, I had asked about this yesterday, but mentioned the problem as I see it. I cannot write the password into its space. My query was pushed somewhere else, I checked similar queries, but found no answers. I see now some queries from 2. Aug. 2015 about "freezing" and...