Windows 10: Notify Before Downloading?

Discus and support Notify Before Downloading? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi is there anyway of Making Win 10 notify you before downloading & installing updates? Appreciate any help Thx 47792 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by joe2cool, Apr 18, 2016.

1. joe2cool Win User

Notify Before Downloading?

Hi is there anyway of Making Win 10 notify you before downloading & installing updates?

Appreciate any help

Thx

:)

joe2cool, Apr 18, 2016

2. Notify before installing Windows updates - Windows 10

Original title: More of a statement then a question but still

Ok I just updated my windows 10, after about an hour of the PC updating (Which is to be expected since there was a progress bar I didn't mind waiting since I could see my progress I didn't mind it) what urked me though was after Windows 10 said everything
    was '100% updated' it forced me to wait another 10 minutes without a progress bar to tell me about 'exciting new features' and then never showing them.

I know that Microsoft appreciates feedback to improve it's site and services (including those offered in Windows 10). My question is shouldn't that be under the notifications page and can't it be adjusted so that the laptop doesn't freeze and make me think
    there's a problem with it whenever I schedule an update that Microsoft recommends? For awhile I thought my Laptop had broken due to the update.

Rainbowdragon, Apr 18, 2016
  3. Isha Soni Win User
    Notify before installing Windows updates - Windows 10

Hello,

Thanks for posting your query to Microsoft forum. I will certainly help you with this.

I appreciate your feedback on this matter. I understand that you would like to get a notification before installing the updates. Keeping that convenience under consideration, the option has already been provided in Windows settings.

Please check the settings:

Method 1:

• Click the Windows key on the keyboard.
    • Go to Setting
    • Click on Update & security > Advanced options.
    • Under Choose how updates are installed use the scroll to change Automatic (recommended) to
      Notify to schedule restart.

Method 2:

• Press Windows key on the keyboard or click on the search bar.
    • Type Edit Group Policy
    • Go to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates
      > All Settings > Configure Automatic Updates.
    • Under Configure automatic updating, Click on Edit policy settings.
    • Click on Select Enabled option.
    • Select second option labelled Notify for download and notify for install. Don’t make any changes in rest of the settings.
    Hope this information is helpful. If the issue still persists, please post back for further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you.

Thanks & Regards,

Isha Soni, Apr 18, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hello, you'd be looking for 3rd party programs to attempt to do that - I'm not sure how useful it would be to you, or how feasible, or how that would help you to control the updates, if that's what you were seeking to do.

There are some programs that were done for Win 8, with no guarantee they'd work in Win 10.

This claims to be Win 10 compatible.
    Windows Update Notifier Download

- but I would suggest you'd really just have to try it.

In the tutorial section is one on how to disable automatic updates, if that's of any use in what you have in mind.

And if you find an update is buggy or causes you problems, you can hide that specific update (again, see tutorial section).

dalchina, Apr 18, 2016
  5. bro67 Win User
    Nope. That is how Microsoft wanted it. They want to protect the OS from users bad habits. Also third party programs can be disabled by Microsoft if they see one running that restricts updates through BITS.

bro67, Apr 19, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    By the way, I agree with Bro67. I'm just answering the question as posted, and I did indicate it's a dubious idea.

dalchina, Apr 19, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    You might like to see this which I've just found again (forgot before):
    Forcing Windows 10 to Always Notify Before Downloading Updates - AskVG

Note: the Group Policy Editor is only available in Pro; however if you search there is (apparently) a way to enable it in Home
    E.g. search without ''
    'Enable GPO in Home edition "Windows 10" '
    'Enable Group Policy Editor in Home edition "Windows 10" '

dalchina, Apr 23, 2016
  8. joe2cool Win User

OK THhx again will check.......................

joe2cool, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Notify Before Downloading? - Similar Threads - Notify Before Downloading

2. Windows 11 Home notify before downloading updates?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Home notify before downloading updates?: I've found ways to get Windows 11 and 10 to notify you before downloading updates so you can choose when or if to install them.One method involves using gpedit.msc which doesn't exist on Win11 Home and the other way is to simply add a couple registry keys.QUESTION: does this...
  3. Windows 11 Home notify before downloading updates?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Home notify before downloading updates?: I've found ways to get Windows 11 and 10 to notify you before downloading updates so you can choose when or if to install them.One method involves using gpedit.msc which doesn't exist on Win11 Home and the other way is to simply add a couple registry keys.QUESTION: does this...
  4. Set Windows 10 HOME to notify before downloading updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Set Windows 10 HOME to notify before downloading updates: I'm sure this has been asked before, but searching only gives me results that are usable on Windows 10 Pro, not for Windows 10 home.My mother has a laptop with Win10 home. It is a cheap, low-end computer with only 8gb of RAM and a sealed case that makes it problematic to try...
  5. Set Windows 10 HOME to notify before downloading updates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Set Windows 10 HOME to notify before downloading updates: I'm sure this has been asked before, but searching only gives me results that are usable on Windows 10 Pro, not for Windows 10 home.My mother has a laptop with Win10 home. It is a cheap, low-end computer with only 8gb of RAM and a sealed case that makes it problematic to try...
  6. Set Windows 10 HOME to notify before downloading updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. An automatic malicious download on laptop without notifying the user

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    An automatic malicious download on laptop without notifying the user: Hi! I just want to ask about these malicious download on my laptop. Specifically speaking, it automatically download without notifying. However, with the use of kaspersky I was able to know that there is a malicious things that keeps downloading on my laptop without notifying...
  8. how exactly does the notify before download option work

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    how exactly does the notify before download option work: i have windows 10 pro build 1809. in my windows updates i have the download and install link for build 1903. i dont want to upgrade to build 1903 now because there are still some issues in it as i know the end of life of build 1809 is may 2020 and it will start to nag me to...
  9. "Notify for download & Notify for install" missing - GPEDIT

"Notify for download & Notify for install" missing - GPEDIT: Recently did a fresh install of Win10 Spring update.I'm accustomed to using option (2) in Group Policy Editor which lets Windows notify me to download updates and notify me to install them once downloaded. However, this no longer seems to be an option as the only thing i can...
  10. "Notify for Download and Notfify for Install" not working

"Notify for Download and Notfify for Install" not working: I used the Group Policy to select option "2. Notify for download and notify for Install". However, every now and then when shutting down I get a request to perform Windows 10 updates. Why is this? I wasn't notified about the updates and have no choice about the install. Is...