Windows 10: Nov 2, Windows 10 updated and Defender ran 40+ hours!

Discus and support Nov 2, Windows 10 updated and Defender ran 40+ hours! in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Latest preview 1607 (10.0.14959.1000) (November 3, 2016; 6 days ago Latest release 1607 (10.0.14393.448) (November 9, 2016; 0 days ago The... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by kevomac12, Nov 9, 2016.

1. kevomac12 Win User

Nov 2, Windows 10 updated and Defender ran 40+ hours!

Latest preview 1607 (10.0.14959.1000) (November 3, 2016; 6 days ago

Latest release 1607 (10.0.14393.448) (November 9, 2016; 0 days ago
    The "latest" release has yet to install, however issue is Windows Defender running 40+ hours on Nov. 2, 2016!
    Or does anyone know why and if there exsists a patch for Defender?

Kevin *sarc

He is, and then I am!

:)

kevomac12, Nov 9, 2016
  2. genecxc Win User

updated to newest version of windows 10

After updating to the newest version of windows 10, I ran windows defender QUICK SCAN, which used to take 10 minutes. Today it took 1 hour 40 minutes !!! No threats were found, but I use secure WIFI at a location by my home and my laptop just about
    ran out of battery power waiting for scan to finish !!! I used quick scan, not snail scan !!! Windows needs to address this problem. Who has almost 2 hours to wait for a quick scan !!!! My time is valuable... NOT A HAPPY GUY ............

genecxc, Nov 9, 2016
  3. Windows Defender won't update under Windows 10

I ran an update again today, and after 2 hours of "installing" I receive the same error code. Other than the nuclear option, what is the next step to fix this? All of a sudden, today in fact, my gmail spam went from 1-2 a day to more than 40 this morning
    alone, so I am concerned about the ease of which my email address has spread. Is this a Defender fault? For years I ran McAfee and I decided to try the Defender option, already regretting it...

Francisco -that is fun to say, Nov 9, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, suggest
    a. regain control of your PC by turning Defender off (note - turning it off from its GUI is temporary) and run a check on your disk.
    From an admin command prompt
    [Windows key + X, click command prompt (admin)]
    chkdsk C: /F
    Your PC will need to restart.
    Make sure the result is clear or fixed- else do not proceed.
    Post back the result, which you can get after a restart as follows:
    How do I see the results of a CHKDSK that ran on boot? - Ask Leo!

Recheck Defender.

b. If that achieves nothing, I've encountered problems with Defender using excessive resources, and installed Avast.

dalchina, Nov 9, 2016
  5. kevomac12 Win User
    All of the labs I follow scrutinize Avast's technology, even ICSA Labs and West Coast Labs, both of which certify Avast for virus detection. Virus Bulletin included Avast in 11 of the latest 12 rounds of testing and awarded it VB100 certification in nine of those tests. AVG AntiVirus Free (2016)Free at AVG Technologies participated in all 12 tests and earned VB100 in 11 of those.
    In the three-part protection, performance, and usability test by AV-Test Institute, Avast earned 5.5 of 6 possible points for protection and got 16 points (of a possible 18) overall. AVG and Panda Free Antivirus (2016)Free at Panda Security took the full 6 points for protection.

Full on-demand scan proved slow in testing. Some components not fully effective without separate purchase. Password manager features limited. Form-filling not yet working.

BY NEIL J. RUBENKING

kevomac12, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Nov 2, Windows 10 updated and Defender ran 40+ hours! - Similar Threads - Nov updated Defender

2. Windows locked for 2 hours

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows locked for 2 hours: Hey, I have notebook with windows 11 installed. I am using each 2-3 weeks at the weekend. Or atleast i want to use it but i can't.Ntb is just sitting in a bag for 2-3 weeks and battery dies. When i want to use it i can't. It is locked for 2 hours when i want to use PIN. There...
  3. Windows locked for 2 hours

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows locked for 2 hours: Hey, I have notebook with windows 11 installed. I am using each 2-3 weeks at the weekend. Or atleast i want to use it but i can't.Ntb is just sitting in a bag for 2-3 weeks and battery dies. When i want to use it i can't. It is locked for 2 hours when i want to use PIN. There...
  4. Windows 10 update KB4578910 ran for hours?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 update KB4578910 ran for hours?: Win 10 KB4578910 ran on my computer last night. Took hours ! I have never had a system update run more than about 5 minutes. What's up? This is unacceptable!! The update also installed Security updates KB4579311 and KB4577262, but surely those weren't the cause....
  5. 2 hours...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    2 hours...: [ATTACH] pc crashed 2hrs ago, and still 20 percent. submitted by /u/DionPerera [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/is6kg3/2_hours/
  6. windows 10 takes 40 minutes upwards to an hour to log on.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    windows 10 takes 40 minutes upwards to an hour to log on.: ever since i upgraded from 4 gb to 8 gb, going in from a cold boot on windows 10 would cause everything to load rather quickly, but it taking 40 minutes to an hour to actually login to windows, i dont know why and logging in from sleep mode logs in instantly. submitted by...
  7. Windows 10 Updates for Nov. 2018

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Updates for Nov. 2018: All, when I search for updates, they say they have downloaded and installed and even restarted my computer. When I go to "view update history" nothing shows up. Is this something new? The question I really have is: have my updates been installed and why are they not showing...
  8. full scan defender stalls at 2 hours and 54 minutes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    full scan defender stalls at 2 hours and 54 minutes: windows 10 version 1803 , yes the scan stalls even if i turn the screen and hard drives to never shut off. I first thought that maybe it was going to sleep, This seems to be happening with other version of windows 10 on my computer. So when i touch mouse pad on the notebook...
  9. Windows 10 Nov update to 1511

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Nov update to 1511: How can I stop windows update to version 1511 installing in Windows 10 Home? *Redface 33231
  10. Windows 10 "Threshold 2" won't be ready on Nov 2nd.

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 "Threshold 2" won't be ready on Nov 2nd.: According to this news article Windows 10 "Threshold 2" won't be ready for consumers on November 2nd. Source: (WinBeta) http://www.winbeta.org/news/windows-10-threshold-2-to-launch-november-2nd-for-consumers Update: I’m told Threshold 2 will not be launching...