Windows 10: Nov update failed. Media Creation Tool insists on USA not UK

Discus and support Nov update failed. Media Creation Tool insists on USA not UK in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; The November update failed through Windows update, twice; then I tried the Media Creation Tool using recommended settings back in December. It too... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Fellwalker, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Nov update failed. Media Creation Tool insists on USA not UK

The November update failed through Windows update, twice; then I tried the Media Creation Tool using recommended settings back in December. It too failed, and in doing so did not quite revert back to how it was before. Eventually I got it sorted out. Since then I have identified and fixed two drivers that were at fault, one of which gave a BSOD following the failure just to prove itself.
    However, I am still on 10240, and would like to be up to date.

Nov update failed.  Media Creation Tool insists on USA not UK [​IMG]

The Media Creation Tool - even the one downloaded from the Microsoft UK site, shows that it is English (United States). When I upgraded from Windows 7 to 10, all sorts of things in my PC got switched to US, and several parts including Cortana, would not work.

Currently EVERYTHING is set to UK, so far as all of the settings in Control Panel go - for all users including any new user. I do not want to update and have similar problems to my initial upgrade.

However, if I change the recommended settings in the MCT and download the UK version, then run it, I am advised that it cannot keep my files and settings because my OS is different to the ISO.

What is it that makes it think my PC is a US version? Is there a way that I can fix that?

:)

Fellwalker, Feb 29, 2016
  2. Monkey57 Win User

Where do i Install the November Update?

The Nov update (1511) is currently, not available, even via Media Creation Tool>

"These downloads cannot be used to update Windows 10 PCs to the November update (Version 1511)."

Monkey57, Feb 29, 2016
  3. Plebbed Win User
    Media Creation Tool Fail?

(I am windows 8 not 8.1 but 8) Anyways I run the media creation tool everything Is good I do all the steps and then a purple screen appears it says "windows 10 installing, your computer will restart a few times" when it reaches 100% it takes me to the desktop
    of my computer and it says "Windows 10 installation Failed" please help me I updated my drivers and my whole pc I even erased every thing and restarted my pc from scratch just to get windows 10 );

P.S: my internet is kind of bad I don't know if internet has to do with updating

Plebbed, Feb 29, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Nov update failed. Media Creation Tool insists on USA not UK

From an elevated ("run as administrator") command prompt type:

dism /online /get-intl

Please post the results here.

NavyLCDR, Feb 29, 2016
  5. cereberus Win User
    Issue may be with your iso, not pc.

Do you have the N version of windows installed, or even a single language version?

The iso must match the original.

Then you just double click on iso, and run setup.exe.

Also, when if you clean install it, it normally shows US on top box and you cannot change that, but you change to UK in second box and it just works.

cereberus, Feb 29, 2016
  6. Download the Media creation Tool again, to get the latest version. If you have a saved copy from before and run it, it will just download the older release of Windows 10. When you run it, remove checkmark in the checkbox for use recommended settings. Then you can select what ever language you want. If you don't, its just going to select the language to match what's installed now. Then clean install the version that matches what you got via the free upgrade. If it's Home install home, Pro install pro etc. Install the correct version and it will activate with your digital entitlement. Just click skip when asked for a key.

alphanumeric, Feb 29, 2016
  7. Superfly Win User
    I concur with alpha...
    just to explain - the language you see on the details tab of the exe is merely that used by the compiler and does not affect the installation language (eg. I compile my apps as "Language Neutral") - within the English-International ISO, setup.exe is also compiled as en-US yet installs en-GB just fine.

Superfly, Feb 29, 2016
  8. Nov update failed. Media Creation Tool insists on USA not UK

Code: Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10240] (c) 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. C:\WINDOWS\system32>dism /online /get-intl Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool Version: 10.0.10240.16384 Image Version: 10.0.10240.16384 Reporting online international settings. Default system UI language : en-US System locale : en-GB Default time zone : GMT Standard Time Active keyboard(s) : 0809:00000809 Keyboard layered driver : PC/AT Enhanced Keyboard (101/102-Key) Installed language(s): en-GB Type : Partially localized language, MUI type. Fallback Languages en-US Installed language(s): en-US Type : Fully localized language. The operation completed successfully. C:\WINDOWS\system32>[/quote] Thank you for showing me where to find this, which explains my predicament.
    Well, as you surmised, it is a US ISO, so I am stuffed. I have to download and install the US version, which means my languages will be messed with again.

That would be Dell causing havoc yet again. Every little thing I come across that causes a problem with Windows 10 has been down to them and their non standard installations. They sold me this as a UK Laptop, with a UK Keyboard. Was it cheaper for them to install it using a US ISO? Sorry, just venting.

Fellwalker, Mar 2, 2016
  9. You should be able to download and install English US. As far as I know keys are version specific but not language specific. Other than maybe the Single Language version. Just remove the checkmark in the check box for use recommended settings. Once you do that you can download any ISO you want from the listed options in any of the supported languages you want.

alphanumeric, Mar 2, 2016
  10. Thanks for trying to help.
    The option i'm given is US. I can download that, and based on my initial upgrade experience, it will change several settings to US from UK.
    When i did the other route of changing from the recommended option to uk, the ISO downloaded and i could start the upgrade. However, the option to keep files and settings is greyed out. the only way the upgrade to uk can be done is as a fresh install, which i do not want.
    I basically have to suck it up and TRY an in place upgrade to the US ISO and hope it works smoothly.

Fellwalker, Mar 2, 2016
  11. Ok, I'm with you now, you don't want to lose anything. A clean install is going to be you last option.

alphanumeric, Mar 2, 2016
  12. cereberus Win User
    Something does not seem quite right here I think. You haven't downloaded the N (EU) version by any chance and trying to upgrade a normal version by any chance?

However using US iso and changing setting should work fine.

cereberus, Mar 3, 2016
  13. Nov update failed. Media Creation Tool insists on USA not UK

No. I had to look up what N (EU) version meant. The explanation shows a drop down of languages utterly unlike the list I am shown when running the tool, which looks unlike the screenshot shown and only has English US and English UK within the English section of languages.

Fellwalker, Mar 14, 2016
  14. I know this is an old thread but it is still relevant especially as the same thing will probably apply to the anniversary update due soon. I had exactly the same problem just recently. I have a Connect 10 Windows 10 tablet. I originally rolled back from 1511 to 10240 for various reasons but recently decided to try 1511 again and although every setting as with Fellwalker was set to UK the media creation tool insisted I had to use the US version if I wanted to keep my personal files and apps. After searching through countless complicated suggestions all over the internet I found the solution was ridiculously simple, so long as you don't mind using regedit. Just go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Nls\Language . Scroll down the menu to the right until you come to "Default" which will read "0409". Change this to "0809". That's it! Now if you use the en-GB language media creation tool, lo and behold you have the option to keep personal files and apps.

ajcrossland, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Nov update failed. Media Creation Tool insists on USA not UK

1. Nov update failed. Media Creation Tool insists on USA not UK - Similar Threads - Nov update failed

2. Windows media creation tool failing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows media creation tool failing: My windows installation got corrupted, my pc can't boot past motherboard manufacture screen and then restarts. I'm trying to get a recovery media onto a USB stick but when I run the media creation tool I get the error code '0x8007007B - 0xA0018' any help would be amazing,...
  3. Windows media creation tool failing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows media creation tool failing: My windows installation got corrupted, my pc can't boot past motherboard manufacture screen and then restarts. I'm trying to get a recovery media onto a USB stick but when I run the media creation tool I get the error code '0x8007007B - 0xA0018' any help would be amazing,...
  4. Media creation tool failing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Media creation tool failing: I am trying to repair my windows 10 os on another computer but the media creation tool is not working on the current laptop im using it is windows 7 home i already updated it and as well i already used the easy fix it and nothing is working im not sure what to do....
  5. Media creation tool failing

Media creation tool failing: I am trying to repair my windows 10 os on another computer but the media creation tool is not working on the current laptop im using it is windows 7 home i already updated it and as well i already used the easy fix it and nothing is working im not sure what to do....
  6. Media Creation Tool Failed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Media Creation Tool Failed: Lenovo intel optane 256 GB 238 GB SSDLenovo Thinkstation P330Can't install windowsI am thinking its a bad system board, already swapped out the ssd and ram.Windows media creation tool cant even get to the first menu, before it blue screensError codes this things spits...
  7. Media Creation Tool Failed

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Media Creation Tool Failed: Lenovo intel optane 256 GB 238 GB SSDLenovo Thinkstation P330Can't install windowsI am thinking its a bad system board, already swapped out the ssd and ram.Windows media creation tool cant even get to the first menu, before it blue screensError codes this things spits...
  8. Media Creation Tool Failed

9. Media Creation Tool fails to complete update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Media Creation Tool fails to complete update: I'm trying to run the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to fix a problem I have with a very long boot time. I have seen many topics regarding "there was a problem running this tool " but in my case I never get this. Instead, the tools looks like it is working properly, but right...
  10. Media Creation Tool keeps failing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Media Creation Tool keeps failing: I have repeatedly tried to download the Windows iso for both Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 using the respective Media Creation Tool but in vain. In the case of Windows 8.1 a download error message saying download failed keeps appearing and, in the case of Windows 10, although...