Windows 10: Enable or Disable IDN Punycode in Firefox Address Bar in Windows

Discus and support Enable or Disable IDN Punycode in Firefox Address Bar in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable IDN Punycode in Firefox Address Bar in Windows How to Enable or Disable IDN Punycode in Firefox Address Bar in Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Mar 21, 2018.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Enable or Disable IDN Punycode in Firefox Address Bar in Windows

How to: Enable or Disable IDN Punycode in Firefox Address Bar in Windows

How to Enable or Disable IDN Punycode in Firefox Address Bar in Windows

Punycode is a representation of Unicode with the limited ASCII character subset used for Internet host names. Using Punycode, host names containing Unicode characters are transcoded to a subset of ASCII consisting of letters, digits, and hyphen, which is called the Letter-Digit-Hyphen (LDH) subset. Punycode is used to encode internationalized domain names (IDNs) as a defense against address spoofing.

From a security perspective, Unicode domains can be problematic because many Unicode characters are difficult to distinguish from common ASCII characters. It is possible to register domains such as "xnpple-43d.com", which is equivalent to "аpple.com". It may not be obvious at first glance, but "аpple.com" uses the Cyrillic "а" (U+0430) rather than the ASCII "a" (U+0061). This is known as a homograph attack.

Firefox allows enabling to show IDN punycode instead of non-Latin letters and Unicode symbols in the address bar. This can be very useful to help see if the currently opened web page is a phishing site or just a non-official mirror of some web site which you would like to avoid.

For more details, see also: Phishing with Unicode Domains - Xudong Zheng

This tutorial will show you how enable or disable showing IDN punycode in the address bar of Firefox for your account in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

EXAMPLE: IDN punycode enabled and disabled in Firefox

*note Test site: IDN Homograph Example

Enable or Disable IDN Punycode in Firefox Address Bar in Windows [​IMG]

Here's How:

1. Open Firefox.

2. Type about:config into the address bar, press Enter, and click/tap on the I accept the risk button. (see screenshot below)

3. Type IDN_show_punycode into the search box, and press Enter. (see screenshots below step 4)

4. Double click/tap on the network.IDN_show_punycode setting to change its value to true (enable) or false (disable - default) for what you want. (see screenshots below)

5. You can now close this about:config tab if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

:)

Brink, Mar 21, 2018
  2. D4ni3l Win User

interesting post
    anyone has disabled punycode ?

D4ni3l, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Firefox Address Bar Suggestions

I do see below

Josey Wales, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Bree Win User

Firefox Address Bar Suggestions

With a brand new and previously unused Profile I do see suggestions for R, but only built-in generic Mozilla ones.

5. bo elam Win User
    Firefox Address Bar Suggestions

I get no suggestions at all. I untick all those options under Address bar as well as the ones under Search. And set Firefox to delete history using custom settings for history. Never see any suggestion of any kind. So, you can get that done if thats what you want.

Bo

bo elam, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Firefox Address Bar Suggestions

I was going to suggest that too. Firefox pulls suggestions from bookmarks too, so if it's bookmarked, no amount of clearing history/etc will make it not appear.

Bobby Phoenix, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Enable or Disable IDN Punycode in Firefox Address Bar in Windows - Similar Threads - Enable Disable IDN

2. Firefox 91.0 ESR how to disable Show search suggestions in address bar

in Browsers and Email
    Firefox 91.0 ESR how to disable Show search suggestions in address bar: Please I would like to know how do I disable show search suggestions in address bar results? I think the settings has been removed 183762
  3. Enable or Disable Recommended Extensions in Firefox

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Recommended Extensions in Firefox: How to: Enable or Disable Recommended Extensions in Firefox How to Enable or Disable Recommended Extensions in Firefox Extensions are a type of add-on for Firefox that allows you to add new features to Firefox or modify existing ones. Starting with Firefox 68,...
  4. Enable or Disable Extensions in Mozilla Firefox

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Extensions in Mozilla Firefox: How to: Enable or Disable Extensions in Mozilla Firefox How to Enable or Disable Extensions in Mozilla Firefox Extensions are a type of add-on for Firefox that allows you to add new features to Firefox or modify existing ones. Sometimes you may need or want to...
  5. Firefox Address Bar Suggestions

in Browsers and Email
    Firefox Address Bar Suggestions: I have recently deleted my Firefox history, including cookies, cache and everything else. I went back to the beginning of all-time just to make sure there was nothing left. But I'm still faced with a dilemma, whenever I type a single letter, say R for example, it...
  6. Enable or Disable Quick Find in Firefox

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Quick Find in Firefox: How to: Enable or Disable Quick Find in Firefox How to Enable or Disable Quick Find in Firefox Firefox includes a Find in This Page (Ctrl+F) feature that allows you to search for words and phrases on the page of a website you are viewing in Firefox. Firefox will show...
  7. Blurry address bar font in Firefox in Windows 10

in Browsers and Email
    Blurry address bar font in Firefox in Windows 10: Hi all, I have recently installed Windows 10 and the latest version of Firefox. There is one strange thing about the address bar: its font is blurry when compared to FF on Windows 7. Please have a look at these two screenshots: Windows 7: [img] Windows 10:...
  8. missing address bar in Firefox 50

in Browsers and Email
    missing address bar in Firefox 50: I realize this may not be the most obvious place to be asking this question, but I've already spent more than enough time in the Mozilla help files without finding an answer, so... Can anyone tell me how to restore the address bar in Firefox? I've even gone so far as...
  9. Enable or Disable Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge: How to: Enable or Disable Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge How to Enable or Disable Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is...
  10. Enable or Disable Tab Warming in Firefox

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Tab Warming in Firefox: How to: Enable or Disable Tab Warming in Firefox How to Enable or Disable Tab Warming in Firefox in Windows Firefox usually does a good job most of the time when it comes to tab switching performance, some sites have noticeable delays between activing the tab and...