Windows 10: Now asking for password

Discus and support Now asking for password in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; For a long time now when I boot Windows 10 I never need to enter a password as I followed instructions here to allow me boot into Windows without a... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by bertie11, Jun 25, 2016.

1. bertie11 Win User

Now asking for password

For a long time now when I boot Windows 10 I never need to enter a password as I followed instructions here to allow me boot into Windows without a password. This morning however, when I booted up the laptop a box showed saying Simple Pass requires a password update. A long time ago I may have tried Simple Pass but I removed it at the time. I tried all the options I could think of and rebooted a few times and then it came up with the Windows password box. Again, none of my passwords worked, even the Microsoft password I sometimes use when I go to the Store. I can find no Simple Pass password in my files, I'm assuming that removing the program would nullify any passwords set up.

I decided to try a restore using Veeam Endpoint Backup but although the restore was successful the password is still needed. There is an option in Veeam to reset the admin password which I tried but I'm still being asked for a password. Would trying an earlier backup image be worth trying as I don't know how Microsoft 'arrange' to suddenly decide on a a new password request?

I really don't know where to go from here. I'm the only user of this system, my wife wouldn't dream of using it so I really have no need for password access into Windows 10. Posting this on a spare laptop.

Can anyone please come up with a solution that would allow me to access my Windows 10 please?

I just used Reset my Microsoft password and I was able to login to my Microsoft account on the web page with the new password but that new password will not get me into the Windows 10 GUI after booting up. It still asks for a password, but I know not which one it wants.

I also read that Windows 10 update caused Simple Pass to fail but as I'm not supposed to be using it I don't think that will help.

Thank you.

:)

bertie11, Jun 25, 2016

2. Pen logon, now asking for a password after a reboot

I use local only.

AlvinOMitchell, Jun 25, 2016
  3. Pen logon, now asking for a password after a reboot

Hi Alvin,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We regret the inconvenience caused to you.

• Do you use Microsoft/Local account to sign in to Windows10?
    Kindly follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• From the Lock screen, click on
      Power
      button.

• Press and hold the Shift key from the Keyboard and Click on
      Restart and try to enter the Safe mode.

Kindly try to start your computer in Safe mode from the Windows Recovery Environment.

Please refer to the below link to start the computer in Safe mode.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-8/windows-startup-settings-safe-mode

Note: The steps for Windows 8.1 applies to Windows 10.

Once you have entered into the Safe mode then, open Command Prompt and enable Built in Administrator.

Follow the below steps to enable Built in Administrator:

• Open Command Prompt from Windows Recovery Environment.

• Copy and paste the below command and press Enter.

net user administrator /active:yes

• Close the Command Prompt.

• Try to login though Built in Administrator and change the earlier password or you can create new user account.

Hope it helps.

Let us know the status, we are glad to assist you further.

Abdul_Malik, Jun 25, 2016
Thema:

Now asking for password

1. Now asking for password - Similar Threads - asking password

2. Demo mode on new pc. Ask for Administrator password

in Windows 10 Customization
    Demo mode on new pc. Ask for Administrator password: Demo mode on new pc. I followed the instructions, but it asks for Administrator password . I have tried trs10, but that does not work. this is a windows 11 hp all in one computer...
  3. Demo mode on new pc. Ask for Administrator password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Demo mode on new pc. Ask for Administrator password: Demo mode on new pc. I followed the instructions, but it asks for Administrator password . I have tried trs10, but that does not work. this is a windows 11 hp all in one computer...
  4. Demo mode on new pc. Ask for Administrator password

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Ask yo change password even though ive never had one

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ask yo change password even though ive never had one: Hi, I woke up this morning to see that when I try to boot my PC. It states, "The users password must be changed before signing in." Although, I've never used a password to log in. All I'd do is press my space bar and it'd load me into my system. I've had this pc for around 4...
  6. Ask yo change password even though ive never had one

Ask yo change password even though ive never had one: Hi, I woke up this morning to see that when I try to boot my PC. It states, "The users password must be changed before signing in." Although, I've never used a password to log in. All I'd do is press my space bar and it'd load me into my system. I've had this pc for around 4...
  7. Windows 10 asking for a password. Have never had one and no idea how to get one. Anyone help?

Windows 10 asking for a password. Have never had one and no idea how to get one. Anyone help?: Windows 10 asking for a password. Have never had one and no idea how to get one. Can anyone help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-asking-for-a-password-have-never-had/964b220c-b188-42bf-be1f-38dd4acea2a8
  8. Windows 10 asking for a password. Have never had one and no idea how to get one. Anyone help?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 asking for a password. Have never had one and no idea how to get one. Anyone help?: Windows 10 asking for a password. Have never had one and no idea how to get one. Can anyone help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-asking-for-a-password-have-never-had/964b220c-b188-42bf-be1f-38dd4acea2a8
  9. Windows 10 asking for a password. Have never had one and no idea how to get one. Anyone help?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  10. Because you're accessing sensitive info, you need to verify your password. but it's asking...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Because you're accessing sensitive info, you need to verify your password. but it's asking...: The problem is on my computer it says "Because you're accessing sensitive info, you need to verify your password." and states the email the pin will be sent to is "*** Email address is removed for privacy ***" which is definitely not my email or what the account is linked...