Windows 10: Now on Windows 10 .. and preparing for a future clean re-install

Discus and support Now on Windows 10 .. and preparing for a future clean re-install in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have successfully "upgraded" ( via Window's Update) four machines to Windows 10. All good. I now want to prepare a bit , for a clean install down... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by mediaman09, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Now on Windows 10 .. and preparing for a future clean re-install

I have successfully "upgraded" ( via Window's Update) four machines to Windows 10. All good.

I now want to prepare a bit , for a clean install down the road. In the past, out of habit, I always created installation media ( USB/ISO etc) and kept a paper ( and electronic record of the Windows activation/product key ( the one it sometimes prompt you for after a clean install, especially after a hardware change. I have created Win 10 install media, but have a question about product activation keys.

I read the tutorial here Windows 10 - Clean Install - Windows 10 Forums , and If I understood correctly,
    -I wont need a product key for a future clean reinstall
    -But, if I make a meaningful change to hardware, I may need to contact customer support to help with activation

So is there really no product activation key I can keep on file?

I do get some numbers ( different from WIn 8.1 number)s if I run various utilities right now, ie
    -WinKeyFinder reports back that my 25 character key is T49TD-...
    -Speccy and Belarc report back a different number, YTMG3-...
    -and SLMGR at the dos prompt reports back a Partial Prodcut key of 8HVX7..

Are any of these valid, or am I at the whim of a future call to Microsoft customer support? Wont the line be busy with all those billions of users out there??

:)

mediaman09, Aug 1, 2015
  2. BulldogXX Win User

How to transfer ssd to new computer with windows 10 without formating?

No, Windows 10 does not have that option. Refresh and restart re-install Windows on the
    same computer; you want to move to a different computer.

If you want to be assured of success - now and in the future - you need to use the type of software I suggested. Take lots of time to prepare for this. It's complicated, but it works.

BulldogXX, Aug 1, 2015
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    Can I upgrade for free later? Like much later?

Once your computer is activated on Windows 10, you can reinstall or clean install Windows 10 an unlimited number of times on the same computer forever. That means, for example, that you can go back to Windows 7 now and then re-install or clean
    install Windows 10 at any time in the future until the end of time. Just make sure that your computer is currently activated on Windows 10.

BulldogXX, Aug 1, 2015
  4. Ztruker Win User

Now on Windows 10 .. and preparing for a future clean re-install

The product key is the same for everyone who upgrades and is the same as build 10240 which was the last release for the Insider Program, so no, there is none you need.

If you ever go back to Win 8.1 on any of these computers it will use the key embedded in BIOS so agsain, none you need to remember.

Ztruker, Aug 1, 2015
  5. So if I am ever prompted for a key down the road ( eg clean install with updated hardware on my current machine) what 25 character key do I enter? Is it posted somewhere given that we all now use the same key? I am not familiar with "build 10240" but I did google it and got back W269N-WFGWX-YVC9B-4J6C9-T83GX. Is that the key to use?

mediaman09, Aug 1, 2015
  6. Ztruker Win User
    You should not be prompted. If you are, click on Skip.

Ztruker, Aug 1, 2015
  7. wase4711 Win User
    and, please, this question has been asked 100's of times on this forum in the last 2 or 3 days; please use the search function before starting a new thread

wase4711, Aug 1, 2015
  8. bobkn Win User

Just to be clear:

If you successfully upgrade to Win 10 on a PC, you can do a clean install on the same hardware using the free upgrade version. No key is given, or needed: click "skip" on the install screen.

I don't know how constant the hardware must remain before you'd have to activate by phone. For example: could you install on a new HD?

bobkn, Aug 2, 2015
  9. bobkn Win User
    True.

But don't jump on people anyway. It's more annoying than redundant new threads.

bobkn, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Now on Windows 10 .. and preparing for a future clean re-install - Similar Threads - preparing future clean

2. clean re-install windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    clean re-install windows 10: Can anyone advise me where to find online an easy to understand, step by step guide to lead me through a re-install of Windows 10. Will it affect the version I have, which File, Apps, Features, Programs will be lost plus what I should do before the re-install?I'm a PC Dummy...
  3. clean re-install windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    clean re-install windows 10: Can anyone advise me where to find online an easy to understand, step by step guide to lead me through a re-install of Windows 10. Will it affect the version I have, which File, Apps, Features, Programs will be lost plus what I should do before the re-install?I'm a PC Dummy...
  4. clean re-install windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Clean Windows 10 install interrupted now stuck on "Preparing" with error message "Windows...

Clean Windows 10 install interrupted now stuck on "Preparing" with error message "Windows...: I started a clean Windows 10 Pro install on my Dell Vostro Laptop which then freezed at 26%. The power then went off and as such I only now see this screen as per the image. This is also stuck in a loop, which I left on for over 10 hours with no change. I can only access...
  6. Clean Re-installing Windows 10

Clean Re-installing Windows 10: Hello people, can some one explain to me how I do a clean install of Windows 10. By clean I mean delete all files clean install, like was possible with Windows 7. Re-install the software from scratch and then start with a completely clean set-up. Windows Version Number -...
  7. Clean Re-installing Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Clean Re-installing Windows 10: Hello people, can some one explain to me how I do a clean install of Windows 10. By clean I mean delete all files clean install, like was possible with Windows 7. Re-install the software from scratch and then start with a completely clean set-up. Windows Version Number -...
  8. Clean Re-Install

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Clean Re-Install: We are updating our computers and wish to sell the old one. Before we sell them I want to use UBCD to completely overwrite the hard drive to destroy all information. How do I then re-install windows 10 without a CD?...
  9. Clean Re installation of windows 10

Clean Re installation of windows 10: I want to delete all user accounts created till now , and need to re install the windows 10 in my pc. Please help me with this ,so that I can proceed safely . And I have some doubts regarding this- Will the activation be void if I do this ? Will I get all the latest...
  10. How to Prepare for a Clean Install of Windows 10

How to Prepare for a Clean Install of Windows 10: I. What to know in advance: 1- There is no 'one best way' to do a clean install. There are as many different approaches as there are different personalities. The internet is filled with detailed instructions for performing a clean install. When doing your research on the...