Windows 10: Now that I've upgraded, how would I re-install in future if needed?

Discus and support Now that I've upgraded, how would I re-install in future if needed? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So, I finished upgrading one of my machines from Windows 7 sp1 this morning, and the upgrade went off without a hitch. Very nice! Now my question.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by musiclover7, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Now that I've upgraded, how would I re-install in future if needed?

So, I finished upgrading one of my machines from Windows 7 sp1 this morning, and the upgrade went off without a hitch. Very nice!

Now my question. What do I do if a year from now I need to reload windows 10. I noted that the product key that was given to me, at least the one that is displayed under system, is mighty generic and does not look like it would work for re-install. Once we have upgraded, do we have a means then of reloading windows 10 in the future?

:)

musiclover7, Jul 29, 2015

2. Upgraded my PC, now I would like to know if the previous product can be used to activate it or not.

It depends on what type of license you have now.

When I upgrade a preinstalled (OEM) or retail version of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 license to Windows 10, does that license remain OEM or become a retail license?

If you upgrade from a OEM or retail version of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 to the free Windows 10 upgrade this summer, the license is consumed into it. Because the free upgrade is derived from the base qualifying license, Windows 10 will carry that licensing
    too.

If you upgrade from a retail version, it carries the rights of a retail version.

If you upgrade from a OEM version, it carries the rights of a OEM version.

Full version (Retail):

- Includes transfer rights to another computer.

- Doesn't require a previous qualifying version of Windows.

- Expensive

Upgrade version (Retail):

- Includes transfer rights to another computer.

- require a previous qualifying version of Windows.

- Expensive, but cheaper than full version

OEM :

OEM versions of Windows are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

What happens if I change my motherboard?

As it pertains to the OEM license this will invalidate the Windows 10 upgrade license because it will no longer have a previous base qualifying license which is required for the free upgrade. You will then have to purchase a full retail
    Windows 10 license. If the base qualifying license (Windows 7 or Windows 8.1) was a full retail version, then yes, you can transfer it.

From the Windows 10 end user license agreement:

b. Stand-alone software. If you acquired the software as stand-alone software (and also if you upgraded from software you acquired as stand-alone software), you may transfer the software to another device that belongs to you. You may also
    transfer the software to a device owned by someone else if (i) you are the first licensed user of the software and (ii) the new user agrees to the terms of this agreement. You may use the backup copy we allow you to make or the media that the software came
    on to transfer the software. Every time you transfer the software to a new device, you must remove the software from the prior device. You may not transfer the software to share licenses between devices.

Andre Da Costa, Jul 29, 2015
  3. Upgraded my PC, now I would like to know if the previous product can be used to activate it or not.

Original title: Upgrading PC

Ok So This Christmas I Am Upgrading My Pc This Includes Motherboard, Ram,Cpu And Hard Drives Could You Tell Me If Me If My Product Code Would Still Work On This "new" Machine And If Not Can You Tell Me How I Can Contact Microsoft About It ??

cormac duffy, Jul 29, 2015
  4. Now that I've upgraded, how would I re-install in future if needed?

If your mobo has a UEFI BIOS on it, the product key has been "baked" onto the board. You can now do a clean install of Win10 as many times as you want and you will never have to worry about having a license number again.

John Pombrio, Jul 30, 2015
  5. The Product ID shown on the System screen is not your Product Code. showkey will get it for you though. https://www.tenforums.com/software-ap...7-showkey.html
    Apparently you don't need it though. You just reinstall leaving the product key entry blank, and as long as you log in with your Microsoft Account it will activate. I haven't confirmed it myself.

alphanumeric, Jul 30, 2015
  6. Forgot to mention, all my Windows 10 installs have the same generic key. They are all 10 Pro. Google the last 5 characters of your key and see what shows up.

alphanumeric, Jul 30, 2015
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Jul 30, 2015
  8. scott784 Win User

Now that I've upgraded, how would I re-install in future if needed?

How does the completed upgrade install know anything about our MS accounts. My MS account is actually a junk msn email address. But I didn't provide it during my upgrade from Win7 to Win10? And as far as the BIOS, how would that work. I have an 8 year old computer so I don't know how anything gets baked on it. But not really sure about any of this activation stuff right now.

scott784, Jul 30, 2015
  9. Ztruker Win User
    BIOS was not changed. All info about your computer is now stored by Microsoft on their server.

Ztruker, Jul 30, 2015
  10. scott784 Win User
    Thanks, that's good to know......... (well at least for any future installs of Win10) Now that I've upgraded, how would I re-install in future if needed? :)

scott784, Jul 30, 2015
  11. This is all new to me too. I'm just sorting things out as I go along. The fun will start when I do my first reinstall/clean install. Not sure when that will be though. Non of my PC's have any issues to make me want to do that right now.

alphanumeric, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Now that I've upgraded, how would I re-install in future if needed?

1. Now that I've upgraded, how would I re-install in future if needed? - Similar Threads - I've upgraded install

2. What driver would I need to install?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What driver would I need to install?: Hello,Yesterday, I received a error with windows. I talked to a agent,which told me to get a USB drive and use the media creation tool. I did so, but I had problems installing it. I talked to a second person who did the process of media creation and I was done. I talked to a...
  3. What driver would I need to install?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What driver would I need to install?: Hello,Yesterday, I received a error with windows. I talked to a agent,which told me to get a USB drive and use the media creation tool. I did so, but I had problems installing it. I talked to a second person who did the process of media creation and I was done. I talked to a...
  4. I want to upgrade my motherboard and CPU in the near future. Would I have to reinstall...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I want to upgrade my motherboard and CPU in the near future. Would I have to reinstall...: I have an AMD Ryzen 7 5800X CPU and an Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING Motherboard. I am considering upgrading to a Ryzen 9 7950X3D, which uses the AM5 socket instead of the AM4, necessitating a motherboard change.If I were to change the motherboard, CPU, and RAM, but not the...
  5. I want to upgrade my motherboard and CPU in the near future. Would I have to reinstall...

I want to upgrade my motherboard and CPU in the near future. Would I have to reinstall...: I have an AMD Ryzen 7 5800X CPU and an Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING Motherboard. I am considering upgrading to a Ryzen 9 7950X3D, which uses the AM5 socket instead of the AM4, necessitating a motherboard change.If I were to change the motherboard, CPU, and RAM, but not the...
  6. What would happen in future windows?

What would happen in future windows?: What happen, like What happen in windows like windows 22, or 52, and what exactly looks like? My concept is like this:22:it's like back to past yet.52:like it's back to past....
  7. What would happen in future windows?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What would happen in future windows?: What happen, like What happen in windows like windows 22, or 52, and what exactly looks like? My concept is like this:22:it's like back to past yet.52:like it's back to past....
  8. I've been having this issue with Teredo and I uninstalled it but now I can't re-install it.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I've been having this issue with Teredo and I uninstalled it but now I can't re-install it.: I go in the device manager, and I have "show hidden devices" checked and Teredo is still not in the legacy hardware. Could anyone show me how to fix this? submitted by /u/stinkyshoe7 [link] [comments]...
  9. Windows 10 upgrade - if I have future issues or need to reinstall?

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 upgrade - if I have future issues or need to reinstall?: I finally made the leap from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Gulp! I have two window 7 computers and upgraded them both to windows 10 (doing it online). My questions are related to future issues (I have no doubt I will eventually have issues at some time) and how to handle them....
  10. Now on Windows 10 .. and preparing for a future clean re-install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Now on Windows 10 .. and preparing for a future clean re-install: I have successfully "upgraded" ( via Window's Update) four machines to Windows 10. All good. I now want to prepare a bit , for a clean install down the road. In the past, out of habit, I always created installation media ( USB/ISO etc) and kept a paper ( and electronic...