Windows 10: NSLOOKUP for local IPv6 devices fails

Discus and support NSLOOKUP for local IPv6 devices fails in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm trying to determine if I have a problem with a router or have run into a Windows peculiarity. If I do an NSLOOKUP for IPv4 addresses of devices on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by pokeefe0001, Jun 20, 2018.

1. NSLOOKUP for local IPv6 devices fails

I'm trying to determine if I have a problem with a router or have run into a Windows peculiarity. If I do an NSLOOKUP for IPv4 addresses of devices on my LAN I get the addresses returned If I query the IPv6 addresses (NSLOOKUP -query=AAAA ...) I get "*** No IPv6 address (AAAA) records available for xxxxx". I can display a table of local IPv6 addresses in the router so I know the addresses exist.

If I specify a DNS name for some resource off in the internet I get the address so I suspect Windows is fine, but I'd really like to know if others have this problem.

BTW, my router is an ASUS RT-A87U.

:)

pokeefe0001, Jun 20, 2018

2. IPv6 “No Internet Access”, Yet Connectivity Looks OK

Our network of Windows 10 & Windows Server 2012 R2 machines are showing "No Internet Access" for IPv6.

However, Windows 7 & Windows Server 2008 R2 machines are working correctly and displaying "Internet" for IPv6.

I've checked that all machines can access:

With the expected text: "Microsoft NCSI"

And the DNS probe for dns.msftncsi.com comes back as expected:

The NCSI logs are showing:

Does anybody know what that means? I can't seem to find anything online about it.

A1commsSamuel, Jun 20, 2018
  3. EdTittel Win User
    a request for device descriptor request failed

Maybe it's time to step back from the current efforts, and start over. I suggest you read over this excellent tutorial and try all of its steps: [Solved] Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed) for Windows 10 - Driver Easy. The one that may provide you with some easy relief is the one where you uninstall the device whose descriptor is failing, reboot, and see what happens when device enumeration recurs during boot-up. If you're lucky, it will fix itself.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Jun 20, 2018
  4. btarunr Win User

NSLOOKUP for local IPv6 devices fails

World IPv6 Launch Solidifies Global Support for New Internet Protocol

Major Internet service providers (ISPs), home networking equipment manufacturers, and web companies around the world are coming together to permanently enable IPv6 for their products and services by 6 June 2012.

Organized by the Internet Society, and building on the successful one-day World IPv6 Day event held on 8 June 2011, World IPv6 Launch represents a major milestone in the global deployment of IPv6. As the successor to the current Internet Protocol, IPv4, IPv6 is critical to the Internet’s continued growth as a platform for innovation and economic development.

NSLOOKUP for local IPv6 devices fails 169a_thm.jpg

“The fact that leading companies across several industries are making significant commitments to participate in World IPv6 Launch is yet another indication that IPv6 is no longer a lab experiment; it's here and is an important next step in the Internet’s evolution,” commented Leslie Daigle, the Internet Society’s Chief Internet Technology Officer. “And, as there are more IPv6 services, it becomes increasingly important for companies to accelerate their own deployment plans.”

ISPs participating in World IPv6 Launch will enable IPv6 for enough users so that at least 1% of their wireline residential subscribers who visit participating websites will do so using IPv6 by 6 June 2012. These ISPs have committed that IPv6 will be available automatically as the normal course of business for a significant portion of their subscribers. Committed ISPs are:
    • AT&T
    • Comcast
    • Free Telecom
    • Internode
    • KDDI
    • Time Warner Cable
    • XS4ALL
    Participating home networking equipment manufacturers will enable IPv6 by default through the range of their home router products by 6 June 2012. Committed equipment manufacturers are:
    • Cisco
    • D-Link
    Web companies participating in World IPv6 Launch will enable IPv6 on their main websites permanently beginning 6 June 2012. Inaugural participants are:
    • Facebook
    • Google
    • Microsoft Bing
    • Yahoo!
    Content delivery network providers Akamai and Limelight will be enabling their customers to join this list of participating websites by enabling IPv6 throughout their infrastructure.
    As IPv4 addresses become increasingly scarce, every segment of the industry must act quickly to accelerate full IPv6 adoption or risk increased costs and limited functionality online for Internet users everywhere. World IPv6 Launch participants are leading the way in this effort.

For more information about World IPv6 Launch, products and services covered, as well as links to useful information for users and information about how other companies may participate, visit World IPv6 Launch.

About the need for IPv6
    IPv4 has approximately four billion IP addresses (the sequence of numbers assigned to each Internet-connected device). The explosion in the number of people, devices, and web services on the Internet means that IPv4 is running out of space. IPv6, the next-generation Internet protocol which provides more than 340 trillion, trillion, trillion addresses, will connect the billions of people not connected today and will help ensure the Internet can continue its current growth rate indefinitely.

About the Internet Society
    The Internet Society is the world’s trusted independent source of leadership for Internet policy, technology standards and future development. Based on its principled vision and substantial technological foundation, the Internet Society works with its members and Chapters around the world to promote the continued evolution and growth of the open Internet through dialog among companies, governments, and other organizations around the world. For more information, see InternetSociety.org.

btarunr, Jun 20, 2018
Thema:

NSLOOKUP for local IPv6 devices fails

1. NSLOOKUP for local IPv6 devices fails - Similar Threads - NSLOOKUP local IPv6

2. DNS NSlookup Debugging question

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DNS NSlookup Debugging question: I have been searching the internet and have not found the answer to my question and I don't know if this is the correct location to ask it. BUT when you are using the exhaustive debugging set d2 option of nslookup, it seems to omit information? Either that or I don't know how...
  3. NsLookup process prevents sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    NsLookup process prevents sleep: To put it short: After the newest Windows 10 Update for some reason my Laptop cannot go to sleep.Tried using the Power options, did not work out but when I check using powercfg command, I found...
  4. réseau local privé et IPv6

in Windows 10 Customization
    réseau local privé et IPv6: J'ai 2 ordinateurs sur mon réseau local prive relie à Ethernet et régulièrement sous "réseau" de l'internet explorateur l'un ou l'autre n'apparait pas sans avoir fait une modification quelconque. Mes interfaces réseau sont paramétrés à l'identique et les protocoles IPv4 et...
  5. IPV6

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    IPV6: i want to uncheck the ipv6 in my network adapter properties but when i try to uncheck the ipv6 it doesnt do anything and when i spam it it unchecks but when i click ok i get a messgae saying An unexpected condition occurred. Not all of your requested changes settings could...
  6. Browsers Fail IPv6 Tests

Browsers Fail IPv6 Tests: Running Windows 10 Version 1903. Network Properties shows that the system has both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses. Other, non-Windows devices on network (e.g., Xbox One X) successfully pass tests like https://test-ipv6.com. Cannot get Chrome to pass the test at all ("No IPv6...
  7. NSLOOKUP PROBLEM

NSLOOKUP PROBLEM: Hi everyone, I have an F5 DNS, I have configured his listeners ..... he resolves all URL asked with NSLOOKUP except the client URL he returns the IP of F5 listener when I do a nslookup -debug URL or nslookup -type=soa URL, it shows the right canonical name, to be sure that...
  8. KB4476976 Local IPv6

KB4476976 Local IPv6: After installing KB4476976 I can no longer access local IPv6 addresses. e.g. PC1 = IP Address = fd01:2222:3333:4444::b01 Prefix = 64 Gateway = fd01:2222:3333:4444::a01 Printer1 = IP Address = fd01:2222:3333:4444::e01 Svr1 = fd01:2222:3333:4444::a01 I can't connect...
  9. Fix nslookup works but ping fails in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Fix nslookup works but ping fails in Windows 10: [ATTACH] When querying the IP address of a website, if your nslookup works, but ping fails on Windows 10 PC, then there can be many reasons for that. Let’s try to resolve these issues, but before that here is what nslookup.exe and [...] This post Fix nslookup works but ping...
  10. How to find IPv6 addresses of devices on the LAN?

How to find IPv6 addresses of devices on the LAN?: When I ping another Windows device on my LAN my local Windows uses an IPv6 address. (I think I have IPv4 pings blocked by my firewalls.) A packet trace shows Windows issuing NBNS, MDNS, and LLMNR packets which seem to be from 3 different network discovery procedures. The MDNS...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ipv6 nslookup windows

2. nslookup windows ipv6

3. nslookup ipv6 fails

4. nslookup ipv6 windows,
  5. ipv6 fail,
  6. nslookup for local ipv6 ,
  7. nslookup fails ipv6,
  8. nslookup only works with link local ipv6,
  9. capability: local changereason: noroute,
  10. changereason: PassivePacketHops