Windows 10: NT Kernel & System High RAM Usage

Discus and support NT Kernel & System High RAM Usage in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello, This is my first time i post on TenForums. Here is my laptop specification: - HP Pavilion g4 - Intel Core i3 2.2 GHz - Radeon 6470m (but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Stereox, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Stereox Win User

NT Kernel & System High RAM Usage

Hello,
    This is my first time i post on TenForums.

Here is my laptop specification:
    - HP Pavilion g4
    - Intel Core i3 2.2 GHz
    - Radeon 6470m (but somehow got 7400 driver and worked) plus Intel HD 3000
    - Windows 10 of course
    - 2 gigs ram
    - And latest drivers, checked with Uniblue's driverscanner and link on other subforum stickies.

It's high memory usage of this process, it starts with ~7mb then grows up to ~200mb on heavy use.
    This happen with recently windows 10 update.

I saw many people got this problem and way they solve this problem, but i don't get any meaningful change when i follow them.
    What i have done is, i do a restart everytime i made these changes:
    - SFC /scannow
    - Update driver (again)
    - Turn windows 10 tips off
    - Try disable Superfetch
    - Malwarebytes scan
    - Disabling High Definition Audio driver drops the process usage to normal 28kb, but this somehow rise again to ~100mb.

Feel free to ask, but i may not notice and reply fast.
    Cheers *Smile

:)

Stereox, Jan 25, 2016
  2. Al H_100 Win User

NT Kernel & System high RAM usage (Over 2GB)

Having the same problem with my ASUS 1015BX. It just scrapes the minimum specs for Win10 and so the extra RAM usage by 'System & NT Kernel' is killing my machine.

Being a small netbook I only have 1GB of Ram, and my 'System & NT' runs at around 100MB, and I know from my Desktop machine it shouldn't be much higher than 5MB.

When I open and run a program, any program, that 100MB increases, unlike with my Desktop where nothing changes for it. Having Internet Explorer open runs my 'System & NT' to 200MB.

I've even done several reformats and clean installs on the ASUS, installed no 3rd party software other than the ones forced onto the Netbook by Microsoft update, and it still has the same problem.

And even before the updates were forced on, I had made sure not to have the ASUS connected to the internet, so I could see if the problem occurred before that, and yes it does. The suggestion around the internet is that the issue is being caused by old drivers
    not compatible with Win10 - well I only have the drivers packaged with Win10, so if a driver is the problem, it's a problem being installed by Microsoft.

As to the post by the Microsoft Support Engineer - Why do you have a huge paragraph on CPU usage? At what point did the OP say anything about CPU usage? Please, please stop generic copy paste posting - it is a RAM issue.

As to the rest of the post:

Clean boot doesn't alter the problem, and if it did, so what? It doesn't help identify it.

Safe Mode turns off all drivers, the 'System & NT Kernel' at its most basic level is the comms port for drivers so of course it will not show much, if any, usage. Still doesn't help identify the problem.

To the OP: Make sure your drivers are up to date, and compatible with Win10, start with the major ones that are always in use. i.e. Network, Graphics, Sound and Disk. There are some people reporting success with doing that.

Sadly, I am not one of them. So can we get a proper, and properly considered, answer from Microsoft, not a copy and paste botch job like normal?

Al H_100, Jan 25, 2016
  3. NT Kernel & System high RAM usage (Over 2GB)

This was solved for me after disable Superfetch service.

Look:

NT Kernel & System High RAM Usage [​IMG]

Superfetch service can be found at Service tab:

NT Kernel & System High RAM Usage [​IMG]

I hope it help you too.

P.S: Remember to reboot system after disable Superfetch.

Gabriel Possamai, Jan 25, 2016
  4. NT Kernel & System High RAM Usage

Hello Stereox Welcome to the Ten Forums!

By your system specs with only 2gb of memory I have to assume you are running the 32bit flavor of W10 and the 200mb of memory being used isn't any concern! On a laptop that saw 3gb of memory with the 64bit 10 Home edition at idle that would see about 800mb upto 1.5gb in use when opening a browser window or watching a dvd movie. The 64bit automatically preloads more data into the active ram there while the 32bit will do more swapping data out to the paging file found at the root of the C drive.

Night Hawk, Jan 25, 2016
  5. Stereox Win User
    Thanks for the answer

Yes i run 64bit, but it was run flawless for almost 6 months since i upgrade to Windows 10.
    And most of my app are 64 bit, so i'm worrying about reinstalling.

Does refreshing windows help ?

Stereox, Jan 25, 2016
  6. Some people some time back when discussing 7 not anything newer would point out that they preferred to see Windows installed fresh yearly. They were mostly concerned over performance as far as speed on how fast things loaded however.

Actually once any installation gets bogged down with startups and clutter in the system registry you might consider slapping a clean install of Windows on. But with 10 so far it hasn't seen one build yet that has remained on for even four months straight since the July into August downloads and clean installs to follow goofy upgrades all were replaced later by either the next Insider Preview builds or even seeing the 10586 Insider replaced by the November 11th Threshold 2 update that saw the general release as an update still being the same build however. Two months with that so far as that replaced the 10586 proceeded by the 10576 proceeded by the 10565 which replaced the July 29th launch 10240 build!

As for the dual boot with 7 still ongoing that install has been long overdue to see a fresh copy of 7 go onto the now second OS drive originally having been the host/boot drive prior to 10 arriving. The last clean install was seen back in June 2013! So you know that is now 2 1/2yrs.

Apparently you were fortunate enough not to have seen the all too commonly seen "Buggy Upgrade" that can easily happen especially with the 10240 at the time or later when upgrading from 7 or 8 but not so much for 8.1 since that was the immediate previous version there.

The second desktop here saw a good upgrade that seemed flawless as well as but was to end up with more Insider builds and still keeping 7 going there but on a second drive that added onto the mini case that only had a single drive when slapped together from spare parts. That one is used mostly as a spare test build I can throw anything at and not worry since the main system is uneffected.

Night Hawk, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

NT Kernel & System High RAM Usage

1. NT Kernel & System High RAM Usage - Similar Threads - Kernel System High

2. Problem with NT Kernel & System

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with NT Kernel & System: Hello! I recently downloaded the application voxal voice changer, thinking that it would be very useful, but it turned out not to be, I deleted it, and my laptop started working slower, in the task manager I saw that the system was loading the system process, Googling for a...
  3. Problem with NT Kernel & System

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem with NT Kernel & System: Hello! I recently downloaded the application voxal voice changer, thinking that it would be very useful, but it turned out not to be, I deleted it, and my laptop started working slower, in the task manager I saw that the system was loading the system process, Googling for a...
  4. Problem with NT Kernel & System

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. High ram usage

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    High ram usage: I recently shifted from from using linux to windows and out of 8 gigs of ram 6.2 gigs is used just with 4 tabs of edge and 2 light weight apps open. The cpu temp is also averaging about 55-60 degree C, although cpu consumption is not high . Is this normal for windows 10(Last...
  6. BSOD-NT Kernel and System

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD-NT Kernel and System: I have gotten a random bluescreen just a few moments ago. Before this, I've never had a blue screen, but the screen turns black and flashes a few times before lighting up and continuing what I've been doing. I've searched about what could've been the cause of this and I...
  7. Hight RAM usage 'NT kernel & system'

Hight RAM usage 'NT kernel & system': Recently, I got an issue with high ram usage for no reason, so I open task manager to see what is the problem and nothing... After I close the tasks manager, the ram usage goes up again. So after many tries opening tasks manager, for a split second, I saw "NT kernel & system"...
  8. BSOD-NT Kernel and System

BSOD-NT Kernel and System: I started getting bluescreens out of no where, with no notable changes to the PC coming to mind. Here is the .dmp folder uploaded to onedrive: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnytooK-At5Qjyon3n4-bgqBoxNx?e=s8pLER...
  9. NT Kernel system

NT Kernel system: Nt Kernel system has changed since the last time you used it. do you want to allow it to access the network? is this a problem https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/nt-kernel-system/c65a9711-8017-4b19-8ab9-3b1fc3c0115e
  10. BSOD-NT Kernel and System

BSOD-NT Kernel and System: Hi all, I've got this BSOD every day, just every hour or so. I'm not sure the reason behind it, but is getting really uncomfortable to work with this computer. I've these screenshots of the error. I've reinstalled Windows and the drivers, could you plase help me to locate...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. System NT Kernel

2. nt kernel & system high cpu and ram