Windows 10: NTFS file system with large nr of files SLOOOOOOOOOOOW !!!!

Discus and support NTFS file system with large nr of files SLOOOOOOOOOOOW !!!! in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi there Copying 2.7 TB of files (music, video) from USB3 ext drive to RAID 0 internal fast HDD on Windows --- nearly 8 hours. Copying same 2.7... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by jimbo45, Jul 24, 2016.

1. jimbo45 Win User

NTFS file system with large nr of files SLOOOOOOOOOOOW !!!!

Hi there

Copying 2.7 TB of files (music, video) from USB3 ext drive to RAID 0 internal fast HDD on Windows --- nearly 8 hours.

Copying same 2.7 TB also to RAID 0 on identical system though running Linux with XFS file system on both sets of HDD's 2 hrs 45 mns. !!!

Not sure if it's the NTFS system or Windows hardware RAID 0 on internal HDD -- but this is appalling compared with Linux.

On both machines nothing else was running other than the file copy. RAID controller was genuine hardware RAID - both systems showed the RAID 0 target HDD as a 9 TB single drive. Striping parameters identical.

On a small nr of files NTFS was OK but it gets HIDEOUS when copying 1000's of files. !!!

Am I doing anything wrong --fortunately I don't normally have to copy that much data.

Note no file conversions were involved - two identical bits of computer hardware, same make of HDD's. Windows was 100% Windows and Linux 100% linux. Both machines had proper USB 3 ports.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Jul 24, 2016
  2. Jay Jap Win User

NTFS FILE SYSTEM

Hello Brian,

It is possible that there is a conflict in the components that hindered the installation. And since you are unable to access it even in safe mode, out best option is to download the Media Creation Tool to create an installation media.

You can refer to this article and look for
    Use installation media to restore or reset your PC.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Jay Jap, Jul 24, 2016
  3. NTFS FILE SYSTEM

I tried to update Windows 10 download and installation failed when I restarted my computer I got blue screen of death and my computer keeps restarting. Automatic repair fails and I don't get option screen and it won't open in safe mode. Am i out of luck,
    or is there something I can do?

[Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Performance & system failures]

BrianHoekstra, Jul 24, 2016
  4. Berton Win User

Since most versions of Linux [I use Linux Mint] can work with NTFS-formatted drives the NTFS formatting shouldn't have been the issue. Unless of course you let Linux change the formatting of the receiving drives. The main thing about using NTFS storage vesus FAT32 is getting around the 4GB limit single-file-size on FAT32.

Berton, Jul 24, 2016
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

No change of format was done -- test was done on identical hardware - one box was 100% Windows with Windows NTFS for the external HDD, other test done 100% Linux (Centos 7) with XFS file system (except one tiny VFAT partition for /boot - grub2 to boot the OS).

Trying the NTFS file system on Linux gave a slightly faster copy (5 hr 30 min vs 8) but still not as fast as the native XFS system.

Windows with NTFS was definitely by far the slowest - I'm sure for large file systems NTFS has probably passed it's sell by date. Strange though that Linux handles a Windows file system faster than Windows itself does -- even though there's a kernel module FUSE / NTFS-3g needed to handle it. !!!!

Normal Windows works fine --not often people are manipulating huge file and datasets of several TB at least on Home systems - although with music / multi-media that could easily change with really large HDD's.

Thought the test was interesting though to see where Windows starts coming up against its limits. !!

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. NTFS file system with large nr of files SLOOOOOOOOOOOW !!!! - Similar Threads - NTFS file system

2. Getting a "The file is too large for the destination file system" error on a NTFS external HD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Getting a "The file is too large for the destination file system" error on a NTFS external HD: Hi,I was searching for a solution for this error and found out that it usually happens in a FAT32 format. In my unusual case, I'm getting this error although the external HD is already formatted tor NTFS. What can I do?...
  3. Getting a "The file is too large for the destination file system" error on a NTFS external HD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Getting a "The file is too large for the destination file system" error on a NTFS external HD: Hi,I was searching for a solution for this error and found out that it usually happens in a FAT32 format. In my unusual case, I'm getting this error although the external HD is already formatted tor NTFS. What can I do?...
  4. NTFS FILE SYSTEM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    NTFS FILE SYSTEM: Hey, I'm facing an error while starting my PC, ill explain in details. My Bluetooth driver wasn't working so i turned off and on my pc for a few times and after that, I'm facing blue screen everytime i try to turn on my PC, it turns on, window logo for a few seconds then blue...
  5. NTFS FILE SYSTEM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    NTFS FILE SYSTEM: Hey, I'm facing an error while starting my PC, ill explain in details. My Bluetooth driver wasn't working so i turned off and on my pc for a few times and after that, I'm facing blue screen everytime i try to turn on my PC, it turns on, window logo for a few seconds then blue...
  6. NTFS FILE SYSTEM

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. NTFS File System

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    NTFS File System: I had a virtual machine running on a customer's computer, and I needed to reinstall it. I removed the drive from the computer so I could copy a new VHD from my laptop to the drive. IIt kept telling me that the recycle bin on the drive was corrupt and would not let me copy...
  8. NTFS File System Stopcode

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    NTFS File System Stopcode: Hello, I know that this topic has been discussed in several threads in this community but in my case it wasn't the solution. In best way someone has already a link to the solution and will guide me. Description of my issue: Hardware of my device is fully OK. My OS...
  9. NTFS File System Permissions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    NTFS File System Permissions: Hello, I want to start by saying please answer my exact question... I've noticed in other questions on the forum that Microsoft Techs, try to avoid answering this and not really having anything useful to add to the specific question. So I'll state here that if you are not...
  10. ntfs file system error

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    ntfs file system error: can anyone tell me how to get past ntfs file system error page as ive watched all the vids on youtube and nothing works just keeps going onto automatic repair continuosly, wish i had never upgraded to windows 10 all ive had is prolems so i hope microsoft realise what they...