Windows 10: NTFS vs. ExFAT for external SSD

Discus and support NTFS vs. ExFAT for external SSD in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi, I have a new SSD Drive (128GB) and I was experiencing some poor performance. I read in another older thread about it and I want to post here my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Adalwar, May 30, 2016.

1. Adalwar Win User

NTFS vs. ExFAT for external SSD

Hi,
    I have a new SSD Drive (128GB) and I was experiencing some poor performance.
    I read in another older thread about it and I want to post here my findings.
    Windows has a very good utility to check performance of Drives : Elevated Comand Prompt >
    Winsat Disk -Drive X (X is Drive is letter you want to test)
    There you get all testing results of Read/Write/Rand/Seq and other.
    Most significant and important is the Latency : Maximum. There is a huge diference from NTFS and ExFAT (2500 vs. 500)
    Also, the Sector size in ExFAT has a significant impact on this Latency. I was testing with 16K, 32K, 64K and 128K.
    64K is Good but I thing 128K is a litle better.

:)

Adalwar, May 30, 2016

2. Windows 10 1709 - iso will no longer mount from exFAT formatted drives

Still looking for a fix.

iso images will mount from internal SSD (NTFS)

iso images will mount from external HHD (NTFS)

iso images will mount from flash drives (NTFS)

iso images will not mount from any external device (exFAT)

I store many iso images on my micro SD and external drives (exFAT), and now I can only mount these files if I move them to a drive formatted in NTFS!

mrjoecampbell, May 30, 2016
  3. Wasay Win User
    Can I move Windows 10 Hyper-V Instance to exFAT External SSD from Windows 8.1 Pro NTFS

Hi,

I want to run my Hyper-V instances of "Windows 10 Pro" from External SSD.

My laptop is a "Windows 8.1 Pro" which is of NTFS file system format and my external SSD is of exFAT file system format.

I am getting an error of "file system limitation" when I move the instance to SSD and start the Hyper-V instance. But if I move the instance back to internal storage of the laptop everything starts working again.

The SSD is "Samsung Portable SSD T1 with 500GB, and with format of exFAT".

What would I have to change or update so that I can have the instances on SSD.

Wasay, May 30, 2016
Thema:

NTFS vs. ExFAT for external SSD

1. NTFS vs. ExFAT for external SSD - Similar Threads - NTFS ExFAT external

2. Transfer from external HD NTFS to external HD exFat

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Transfer from external HD NTFS to external HD exFat: I copied the contents of my external HD to a new external HD, not knowing I was going from NTFS to exFat. Upon completion, I noticed that the first and last folder transferred correctly, while all the folders in between are empty. However, the new external HD shows 508 GB...
  3. Transfer from external HD NTFS to external HD exFat

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfer from external HD NTFS to external HD exFat: I copied the contents of my external HD to a new external HD, not knowing I was going from NTFS to exFat. Upon completion, I noticed that the first and last folder transferred correctly, while all the folders in between are empty. However, the new external HD shows 508 GB...
  4. Transfer from external HD NTFS to external HD exFat

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. NTFS vs NTFS 3.1

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    NTFS vs NTFS 3.1: Out of curiosity only: what is the difference between just 'NTFS' and 'NTFS 3.1' Maybe there is none, I don't know. A system tool reports a drive with NTFS and another drive with NTFS 3.1 BTW - Windows Diskmgmt show NTFS only All drives are working fine. thanks. 135003
  6. NTFS vs NTFS 3.1

in Windows 10 Support
    NTFS vs NTFS 3.1: Out of curiosity only: what is the difference between just 'NTFS' and 'NTFS 3.1' Maybe there is none, I don't know. A system tool reports a drive with NTFS and another drive with NTFS 3.1 BTW - Windows Diskmgmt show NTFS only All drives are working fine. thanks. 135003
  7. exFat vs NTFS

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    exFat vs NTFS: ExFat can only save files up to 4 GBs. If you save a 20 GB file using it, you end up with at least 5 files instead of 1. Which would be the case if you were using NTFS format on your device. NTFS can handle any sized file intact. I only use Fat32 or exFat format on usb...
  8. Overwrite exFAT format of 8TB external drive with NTFS?

Overwrite exFAT format of 8TB external drive with NTFS?: I have an external WD 8TB My Book: My Book - External Hard Drive | Western Digital (WD) It is formated in exFat. Could I do a quick format with NTFS? Would this cause any drawbacks? 94361
  9. Exfat file system Vs NTFS file system...

Exfat file system Vs NTFS file system...: Hi all, Here is a critical problem i have faced. I have inserted my pendrive in an laptop with OS X. As it was in ntfs format the data were shown but writting into this couldn't be done. So I format it to exfat format to get some data. When I insert it into my laptop it was...
  10. NTFS vs ExFAT for a non-system SSD

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    NTFS vs ExFAT for a non-system SSD: Hello. I have a SSD just for gaming. That is. A standalone partition without boot (only data; Steam and other games are stored there). I am wondering if I would gain any benefit from going from NTFS to ExFAT. Your opinions are welcome. 18291

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ntfs vs exfat ssd

2. exfat or ntfs for ssd

3. exfat or ntfs ssd external

4. exfat fat32 latency,
  5. exfat for windows 10 ssd,
  6. usb ssd ntfs exfat,
  7. ssd externo exfat vs ntfs,
  8. can i format external ssd exfat,
  9. sexternal ssd to sony bluray ntfs or expfat ?,
  10. ntfs fat32 ou exfat em ssd,
  11. windows 10 pro with ntfs ans exfat ssd,