Windows 10: Nuisance desktop.ini file

Discus and support Nuisance desktop.ini file in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This is no big deal but more of a nuisance. Windows has created two desktop.ini files. That is ok except that one floats back to the main group of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by johnpd, Jul 3, 2017.

1. johnpd Win User

Nuisance desktop.ini file

This is no big deal but more of a nuisance. Windows has created two desktop.ini files. That is ok except that one floats back to the main group of icons whenever I reboot instead of staying where I moved it. Is there any way of getting it to stick in one spot? These are the contents:

One that stays put:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [.ShellClassInfo]
    LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21769
    IconResource=%SystemRoot%\system32\imageres.dll,-183
    ===========================================================

One that floats:
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [.ShellClassInfo]
    LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21799
    ===========================================================

I think this was introduced with the Creators Update.

JohnD

:)

johnpd, Jul 3, 2017

2. "This PC" folders are incoherent

Type this in the Address bar:

C:\Users\Xavier\Desktop.ini

This opens the Desktop.ini contents in Notepad. Delete all the lines and save the file.

-or-

Note that this file need not exist under your user profile home directory. To delete the file, enable Folder Options to show all files, and uncheck "hide protected operating system files..." option.

Delete the desktop.ini file. (C:\Users\Xavier\Desktop.ini)

Revert back the Folder Options settings as before.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Jul 3, 2017
  3. Identical Desktop.ini files deleted

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

The desktop.ini file is a hidden file used to store information about the arrangement of a Windows folder. Essentially, if the layout or settings for a folder are changed, a desktop.ini file is automatically
    generated to save those changes.

The Windows operating system automatically generates a desktop.ini file upon changes to a folder.

Windows will regenerate the Desktop.ini files for you if you redirect the folder to another location and then back to the original one.This automatic generation cannot be turned off, as it is a part of the operating system programming. Although you may delete
    any desktop.ini file, if a change is made to the folder's layout, it will be regenerated again automatically.

Thanks.

Anil Madishetty, Jul 3, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

There have been two desktop.ini icons since long before Windows 10....
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...8-887170708ed6

It's because the Desktop contains Public and Private elements. One desktop.ini is in %PUBLIC%\Public Desktop, the other is in %USERPROFILE%\Desktop

This erratic and unpredictable placement of them on the desktop does seem to be a new 'feature' introduced by the Creators Update though. With care and experimentation you can place them where you wish (even surviving a reboot). I find it helps to first move them to an empty area of the desktop, arrange them next to each other, then select both and drag them to their final resting place.

Hopefully MS will (eventually?) address this quirk in an update.

Bree, Jul 3, 2017
  5. johnpd Win User
    Thanks Bree, no problem. I have them stuck in the lower right hand corner of the desktop, but that isn't helping. I will live with it. They have more pressing issues to fix such as Network Discovery which they broke.

JohnD

johnpd, Jul 3, 2017
  6. pbcopter Win User
    Why not just hide them by selecting Hide protected operating system files in folder options?

pbcopter, Jul 3, 2017
  7. pepanee Win User
    Every time Windows does major updates or whatever they show up on my Desktop too. I ALWAYS delete them whenever they show up, because they are useless and do not affect the computer when they're no longer there. Save yourself the stress and delete them.

Refer to the hidden file in the center of my Desktop screenshot.

Nuisance desktop.ini file [​IMG]

pepanee, Jul 3, 2017
  8. Nuisance desktop.ini file

This makes other, more significant files and folders go hidden. And example is ProgramData. Maybe most people don't care about it, but it has enough significant stuff in it that I have a desktop shortcut for it. I assume the shortcut would still work even if the folder were hidden, but sometimes I loose shortcuts.

pokeefe0001, Jul 3, 2017
  9. swarfega Win User
    You could try setting a hidden attribute on the file which should make it disappear if you dont have show hidden files enabled.

Nuisance desktop.ini file [​IMG]

swarfega, Jul 4, 2017
  10. Desktop.ini files already have the "Hidden" attribute set. At least they do on my system.

pokeefe0001, Jul 4, 2017
  11. swarfega Win User
    shame, was an idea *Sad

swarfega, Jul 4, 2017
  12. Mystere Win User
    There are two hidden files settings. One is to show hidden files and folders. The other is to show hidden system files and folders. The second is not required to see most hidden folders including ProgramData. The second one is what shows Desktop.ini.

Mystere, Jul 4, 2017
  13. Bree New Member

It is however required to see ProgramData\Microsoft, Windows\Fonts, Windows\Media, Windows\Downloaded Program Files.... the list goes on....

14. Mystere Win User
    No, it's not. I don't have show hidden system files turned on, and I can see all of those folders.

Mystere, Jul 4, 2017
  15. Bree New Member
    Odd, as they all have their 'S' attribute set. C:\Recovery, pagefile.sys, hiberfil.sys and swapfile.sys certainly get hidden from view.

Thema:

1. Nuisance desktop.ini file - Similar Threads - Nuisance desktop ini

2. Cortana is a recurring nuisance

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cortana is a recurring nuisance: cortana insists she isnt available in my region, yet she pops up every five seconds. i cant find the settings to get rid of her. No cortana settings tab every fix i find includes a mention of the cortana tab, so i changed my region and language so it would be available, but...
  3. Windows Defender and .ini files

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender and .ini files: We ae using Windows 10 and Windows Defender antivirus. When our program saves information to an .ini file - it can take a very long time. It takes more than 4 times longer with Windows Defender than with other anti-virus programs ex AVG, Avast. If we exclude the .ini file...
  4. NUISANCE POP-UP

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    NUISANCE POP-UP: HOW DO I GET RID OF YOUR POP-UP "NEVER TO LATE FOR FILM - GET FAST PLAYER" - DON'T WANT IT! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/nuisance-pop-up/7e1901d8-653c-483c-b2b0-2ede4d07edc6
  5. Notepad nuisance

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Notepad nuisance: I was wondering if there is a way around this. I like to use Notepad for simple notemaking. But then sometimes I accidentaly open a second instance of Notepad and I get a second window open (so I have two windows open in parallel of the same file) and I keep editing one and...
  6. Desktop INI and Autorun

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop INI and Autorun: So... I have multiple external hdds. I have autoruns on them to generate Labels and Icons. That is working properly. I have multiple sub folders on those hdds. I need 2 different types of Desktop INIs that I cannot seem to get working. **NOT Working** I need the parent on...
  7. File Explorer and ini, ico and lnk files on NAS device

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer and ini, ico and lnk files on NAS device: Hi. We have a QNAP NAS device on our network that logs all activity. Our Windows pc's access the folders and files on the NAS via File Explorer. When a pc accesses a folder on the NAS, the log indicated that that pc has READ all the ini (and ico and lnk) files of all the...
  8. Modify INI files in Ark WInows store folder.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Modify INI files in Ark WInows store folder.: I am trying to edit the Ini files for Ark survival evolved. I am trying to make the in game non-dedicated server player distance larger as it is currently prohibitively small . Unfortunately I don't have permissions to edit these files. (I am admin) and it is causing me...
  9. what is a .ini icon?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    what is a .ini icon?: I have these ghostly looking .ini icons on my screen, which are connected to other documents - what are they and can I get rid of them? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-winapps-appscat_tools/what-is-a-ini-icon/11adb71a-4cd6-4a41-b307-0788047abf35
  10. Microsoft nuisance Push

in Windows 10 Support
    Microsoft nuisance Push: Twice now I've had my laptop (less than a year old) down and unable to use due to Microsoft push. First time was an update which ironically was meant to 'make it easier to use'. Couldn't open the system at all and took a few days and a download from a technician to a friend's...