Windows 10: NUM LOCK Key - Wanting to set on permanently/Disable key

Discus and support NUM LOCK Key - Wanting to set on permanently/Disable key in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; As the title states I would like to find a way of setting my keyboard to always have NumLock to be on. Not just at boot up. I am aware of the registry... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by limeandsalsa, Nov 14, 2017.

1. NUM LOCK Key - Wanting to set on permanently/Disable key

As the title states I would like to find a way of setting my keyboard to always have NumLock to be on. Not just at boot up. I am aware of the registry setting that accomplishes this at boot (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Keyboard\InitialKeyboardIndicators) but that isn't cutting it.

I would like to eliminate the possibility of hitting the button at all, and if necessary disable it keeping it on at all times. Another way of saying this is that I want the number pad to only work for numbers.

I spend about an hour google fu'ing and haven't found anything outside of the before mentioned setting.

Any ideas? Thank you for your help!

PS. I am running Windows 10 pro.

:)

limeandsalsa, Nov 14, 2017

2. Have num lock turned off when computer boots

The num lock was turned on with the latest unscheduled Windows 10 update. I was puzzled that my password didn't work until I noticed the light was
    on.

How do I change the settings so the num lock, scroll lock, and caps lock settings are
    off on bootup? Also how do I permanently disable the useless num lock, scroll lock, and caps lock keys?

RichardTonsing, Nov 14, 2017
  3. How to turn off beeping sound on num lock

OT- Num Lock Beep Sound

Hi

Yesterday I was seeing my settings and there i found Toggle Key Option which enables the sound when Caps lock key or Num lock key is pressed, then i enabled it and checked after that i Disabled it again. Today when i pressed num lock key i found that beep
    sound is still on and the toggle key is disabled. Caps Lock key not making any sound only Num Lock key is making beep sound. I tried to enable it again and disable but then also it is making that beep sound and I found that number pad is also not working.

If there is any solution for this then please provide me in the comment section.

Thank You...

JeetTrivedi, Nov 14, 2017
  4. NUM LOCK Key - Wanting to set on permanently/Disable key

Hi and Welcome!

The system should remember the last set value for number lock and keep it set. Which value did you insert for InitialKeyboardIndicators? Was it 2147483650?

Masterchiefxx17, Nov 14, 2017
  5. Editing the registry, no matter the value, is not likely to have the desired effect.

The value stored under InitialKeyboardIndicators will not, unless someone can correct me, effect the overall functionality of the keyboard after boot. It only sets the default state; if you were to punch the Num Lock key after boot the number Pad would cease to work as a number pad and the arrows, page up page down ect would take their place.

As far as I know the string of numbers you pasted there represents all values for that key. I came across it as a solution to set the default log in state.

I appreciate the input though.

limeandsalsa, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

NUM LOCK Key - Wanting to set on permanently/Disable key

1. NUM LOCK Key - Wanting to set on permanently/Disable key - Similar Threads - NUM LOCK Key

2. Num lock key not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Num lock key not working: Num lock key is not working. How do I turn it on? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/num-lock-key-not-working/b1ea4f8f-bd31-45d8-bd13-408f6c6b9945
  3. Num lock key not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Num lock key not working: Num lock key is not working. How do I turn it on? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/num-lock-key-not-working/b1ea4f8f-bd31-45d8-bd13-408f6c6b9945
  4. how to permanently disable Num lock?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to permanently disable Num lock?: Hi, I have an acer laptop, with a row of numbers above the letters, and also, if I engage num lock there is number pad type layout on the right-hand side of the letters on the keyboard. for my bookkeeping I need easy access to numbers and letters simultaneously. I have...
  5. how to permanently disable Num lock?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to permanently disable Num lock?: Hi, I have an acer laptop, with a row of numbers above the letters, and also, if I engage num lock there is number pad type layout on the right-hand side of the letters on the keyboard. for my bookkeeping I need easy access to numbers and letters simultaneously. I have...
  6. how to permanently disable Num lock?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Keyboard Settings for Num Lock Key

in Windows 10 Customization
    Keyboard Settings for Num Lock Key: My Num-Lock key resets to "Off" when the computer is "Shut Down". . My password requires an ASCII character, and having the Num-Lock off while trying to enter the Windows password is a problem. It takes a few unsuccessful attempts before I remember the Num-Lock is off. ....
  8. num lock permanently on

num lock permanently on: I would like Num Lock to be permanently ON. Even when I accidently hit the Num Lock key I would like it to stay on. Is there a way to enable this? ie. I don't want the Num Lock key do anything at all. I want to ALWAYS use the number pad for numbers. Never for arrows etc....
  9. Num lock key

Num lock key: Yesterday I turned off my pc and started it again a few minutes later, and now my num lock key is off upon opening. How do I change the default to be "on" ?...
  10. Num Lock key on at boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Num Lock key on at boot: For some reason, my num lock is off by default. I looked up the solutions, and the ones I found said to turn it on at the login screen, then reboot. It remained on for the next boot, but after that, it was off again. So I tried changing the registry key under...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to make num lock stay on permanently