Windows 10: Numlock retains settings on restart

Discus and support Numlock retains settings on restart in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I tried searching and didn't find anything about this, but it's highly likely that this has already been brought up. What gives with the numlock... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by thewubs, Jul 14, 2016.

1. thewubs Win User

Numlock retains settings on restart

Hi,
    I tried searching and didn't find anything about this, but it's highly likely that this has already been brought up. What gives with the numlock setting resetting every time you restart with Win10? This never occurred with any other version of Windows (at least not to my memory) and for those of us who use numbers in the password, and after YEARS of never having to activate it upon restart, it's kind of a pain in the butt to type in my password, swing over to the numpad, and then have it not respond. I always try to remember to turn it on before I type in my password, but sometimes (often) I forget.

I don't want it to be on by default - I just want it to remember the state from last restart. I found a workaround using a registry edit and stuff via google, but I think it should just remember the state by default.

:)

thewubs, Jul 14, 2016
  2. Spamwize2 Win User

How to activate numlock automatically when windows 10 starts?

Well I tried changing the registry too but on restart Windows resets everything on a keyboard check.

This following does work and has done everytime.

Disable Fast Startup to Enable NumLock

Press Win + x (brings up control panel)

click 'power plan'

click on 'what the power buttons do'

They will be greyed out so

click on 'change settings currently unavailable'

scroll down and uncheck 'Turn on Fast startup'

Thats it. Shut down and reboot and NumLock will retain last configuration.

Spamwize2, Jul 14, 2016
  3. Numlock Defaults

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

• Click on Windows key +R to go to Run Command.

• Type in "regedit." Hit "OK" to open the regedit application. This allows you to change your computer's default settings.

• Navigate to the keyboard's default settings. Using the navigation bar at the left, choose "HKey_Users" then "Default" then "Control Panel" and finally "Keyboard."

• Look at the right side of the window. On the right are the various default options you can change for your keyboard. Double click on "InitialKeyboardIndicators" to change the NumLock default. A window will pop up.

• Change the NumLock default by entering a 0 or 2 in the "Value Data" field. Enter a 0 to have the NumLock set to off by default. To set the NumLock to on by default, enter 2. Hit the "OK" button to save your changes.

• Restart you computer. Your NumLock default changes will not take effect until your computer has been restarted.
    Hope this information is helpful.

Thank you.

Guru Kiran G, Jul 14, 2016
  4. CountMike New Member

My BIOS has that option and windows behave same even before other settings come into effect.

CountMike, Jul 14, 2016
  5. thewubs Win User
    I'll double check in my BIOS but I'm positive it's enabled there to no avail.

thewubs, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Numlock retains settings on restart - Similar Threads - Numlock retains settings

2. Windows Explorer Not Retaining Settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Explorer Not Retaining Settings: I have Windows 11 and am using a Lenovo Idea Pad. I use this computer mainly for designing, using lightburn laser software. Because of this, I have a large amount of SVG files saved, and I set my view to extra large in file explorer. When I attempt to open a file in my...
  3. Files & settings are not retained after restarts - Windows 10 & BSOD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Files & settings are not retained after restarts - Windows 10 & BSOD: A couple of weeks ago, I added two new sticks of RAM because my computer had been freezing for a few seconds intermittently and the performance graph showed the memory use being fairly high. Last week, my computer suddenly crashed BSOD. I didn't see what the stop code...
  4. Files & settings are not retained after restarts - Windows 10 & BSOD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files & settings are not retained after restarts - Windows 10 & BSOD: A couple of weeks ago, I added two new sticks of RAM because my computer had been freezing for a few seconds intermittently and the performance graph showed the memory use being fairly high. Last week, my computer suddenly crashed BSOD. I didn't see what the stop code...
  5. Files & settings are not retained after restarts - Windows 10 & BSOD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Windows 11 not retaining settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 not retaining settings: When I am installing Windows 11 on my computer, which is compatible with Windows 11, my computer is undoing changes made to the computer. Please help me solve this issue ** original title: Computer **...
  7. Windows 11 not retaining settings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 not retaining settings: When I am installing Windows 11 on my computer, which is compatible with Windows 11, my computer is undoing changes made to the computer. Please help me solve this issue ** original title: Computer **...
  8. Numlock orn or off at restart is unpredictable

in Windows 10 Customization
    Numlock orn or off at restart is unpredictable: Why is the on or off of Numlock so inconsistent? Why is there a choice anyway? I have had this happen on my PCs since Windows 7 and probably before. Unlike what I read in forums, "the system will boot to the what it was at the last shutdown" my experience is different. I...
  9. MSI Afterburner not retaining settings

in Windows 10 Support
    MSI Afterburner not retaining settings: My MSI AB settings are not being retained either at Windows startup or if I quit AB. I have applied the settings, saved them to profile 1 and the Windows Startup icon is green. Is there some addiotnal step I need to do? W10 64 bit 2004 163765
  10. Set NumLock ON permanently?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Set NumLock ON permanently?: Platform: Lenovo IdeaPad 110-15ACL Is there a way to set NumLock so that it's permantly ON? That is, it cannot be turned off easily? submitted by /u/tway15q1 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fb4njr/set_numlock_on_permanently/