Windows 10: NumLock status at logon from cold boot

Discus and support NumLock status at logon from cold boot in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all, bit of a weird one here. I chose to log in use the PIN option. I like typing with the num pad. At the log on screen Num Lock was always... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by IGot99Crashes, Dec 8, 2015.

1. NumLock status at logon from cold boot

Hi all, bit of a weird one here.

I chose to log in use the PIN option. I like typing with the num pad.

At the log on screen Num Lock was always off.

1. Checked the BIOS settings:
    Ensured that the NumLock status in the BIOS was set to enabled

2. Modified the registry a few times
    Key: HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Keyboard
    I set the String Value: InitialKeyboardIndicators
    to 2
    then I tried 80000002
    then I tried 2147483650

So I have partial success, where NumLock is enabled after a restart, but it is not enabled after a cold-boot.

Weird huh.

Any and all suggestions welcome!

:)

IGot99Crashes, Dec 8, 2015

2. Numlock on at startup

Thanks to all who replied.

I tried turning off the fast startup to see what would happen.

The computer now boots up with the numlock "ON" at the logon screen.

The boot up was not significantly slower and I prefer the numlock on to log in.

Thanks again,

Tom123_834, Dec 8, 2015
  3. Windows 10 Numlock is always off after booting

Upgraded to Windows 10 Numlock is always off after booting very annoying when using a PIN number to logon

<Original title: Bob>

BobShapack, Dec 8, 2015
  4. NumLock status at logon from cold boot

Found this for you
    It worked with windows 8.1
    It hopefully may help you

The poster found a solution that works permanently:

Num-Lock bei Windows 8 Bootvorgang aktivieren - YouTube

It is also a change in the register but not the one I have read in most posts.

•You go to the register
    •Open HKEY USERS
    •Open Default
    •Open Control Panel
    •Click on Keyboard
    •On the right side you get 4 keyboard items

•Initial Keyboard Indicators has a number as data > 2147483648
    •Double click on Initial Keyboard Indicators
    •In the small window you get you change the last 2 numbers from 48 to 50 and get 2147483650
    •Click on ok
    •Close the register window
    •Try again

I have been trying now for more than 10 times and it keeps coming up on time for the login screen no matter if it is a cold start or a restart

It worked for the poster so hope it helps you
    let us know how you get on

hTconeM9user, Dec 8, 2015
  5. Thanks for the response hTconeM9user,

Unfortunately I've already tried this particular method and no luck. *Sad

IGot99Crashes, Dec 9, 2015
  6. hTconeM9user, Dec 9, 2015
  7. Thanks hTconeM9user!!!

That was a good find. Fast startup was the key to solving this!

IGot99Crashes, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

NumLock status at logon from cold boot

1. NumLock status at logon from cold boot - Similar Threads - NumLock status logon

2. Cold boot BSOD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cold boot BSOD: Everyday at startup I get a BSOD. This only happens once and then never for the duration the pc is on. The BSOD errors sometimes vary but this is a analyzed dump file from a recent one:******************************************************************************** **...
  3. Cold boot BSOD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cold boot BSOD: Everyday at startup I get a BSOD. This only happens once and then never for the duration the pc is on. The BSOD errors sometimes vary but this is a analyzed dump file from a recent one:******************************************************************************** **...
  4. Cold boot BSOD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Black screen after booting from a cold boot

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Black screen after booting from a cold boot: Hey guys, so whenever I boot my pc especially from a cold state, the pc post, and boots and I get a black screen after loading the icon in the bios. Both my mouse and keyboard don't work and the cursor won't show up. Only RGB lightning works and when I press caps lock or num...
  6. Designer Bluetooth keyborad: How to display Numlock status

in Windows 10 Customization
    Designer Bluetooth keyborad: How to display Numlock status: Hello, I have recently purchased a Microsoft Designer Bluetooth keyboard and surprisingly it does not display the Numlock status. So we do not know when it is on or off. This is s bit tricky when you are filling passwords at the fiels it nor showing what you are typing....
  7. No Startup Sound at boot from cold start.

in Windows 10 Support
    No Startup Sound at boot from cold start.: Whenever I do a restart boot I get the Windows Startup sound. If I boot from Shutdown I do not get it. Is this the way it should be? Thank you. 131275
  8. How Is MS Edge Running From A Cold Boot?

in Browsers and Email
    How Is MS Edge Running From A Cold Boot?: Yesterday while doing my weekly CCleaner routine I got this: [img] Had to do a "Force Close". I initially thought it may have been some leftover something still running. Today when I encountered another issue, I did a Shutdown. Came back, booted up and started CCleaner...
  9. BSOD on cold boot.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD on cold boot.: I have been getting a variety of BSOD's on cold boots. After the first BSOD, everything runs smoothly thereafter; any amount of stress on the PC doesn't cause any BSOD. Things I have tried: Updated bios and all the motherboard related whatnot. Tried to update all my...
  10. Cold boot issues

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Cold boot issues: Hello, i have this issue on one PC that I've installed windows 10 and it doesn't boot properly. It goes to the windows logo part then it hangs for a bit before shutting itself down , then i need to power it on again and it will boot after a while. It also creates massive...