Windows 10: Nvidia Display drivers updated for W10 DP (possibly)

Discus and support Nvidia Display drivers updated for W10 DP (possibly) in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I installed Windows 10 DP when it was released and got an error when trying to install the Windows 8.1 drivers from Nvidia's site, with the message... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by MrNeeds, Oct 4, 2014.

1. MrNeeds Win User

Nvidia Display drivers updated for W10 DP (possibly)

I installed Windows 10 DP when it was released and got an error when trying to install the Windows 8.1 drivers from Nvidia's site, with the message "Nvidia installer cannot continue".
    Today I reinstalled Windows 10 DP again and downloaded the drivers, and success, installed first time.
    Can anyone find any official notes regarding this?

:)

MrNeeds, Oct 4, 2014

2. NVIDA GeForce GTX 950, display not working

Hi Erik,

According to the info provided the card supplies these port types: Dual Link DVI-I, HDMI 2.0, 3x DisplayPort 1.2 and is listed as supporting up to 4 active displays.

Ref:

GeForce GTX 950 Graphics Card

With a dual DVI port, 2 displays can be driven from it by using a DVI splitter cable, if both displays support such.

From what I have seen, HDMI to HDMI in Windows 10 can be hit or miss depending on the hardware and/or drivers in play. From what I see, the current driver listed from GeForce for this card would be:

Version 388.31 - WHQL with a Release Date of Wed Nov 15, 2017.

Ref:

Drivers | GeForce

And:

Drivers | GeForce

I use (my NVidia Quadro 4000 card has no HDMI ports, it has a duel DVI and 2 DP (display) ports) the DP ports on my card to connect to HDMI ports using a DP to HDMI adaptor at the card end. (These are not all the same, some brands work, many others however
    do not, also, pay attention to the direction of the adaptor, i.e.: DP to HDMI as opposed to HDMI to DP), I've found the Dell branded adaptors to work quite well.

With NVidia drivers (as well as all graphics drivers) I've found that it is best to disconnect from the internet completely then uninstall (from Win uninstall programs) all instances of anything, in this case, NVidia, then check and repeat again if/as necessary
    until there is nothing left except the Windows basic display driver. Then,
    disconnect all other display devices from the PC, other than the main display, and
    restart the PC. Then, run the installer of the previously downloaded most current NVidia driver for your device and restart again before reconnecting to the internet.

Conversely, follow the uninstall and restart instructions above but shutdown the device after the last restart and then reconnect the internet, then, startup, login, then wait, and let Windows update install the driver that it likes.

Either way, after you startup and login, then, and only then, connect the (if using a DP to HDMI adaptor connect this to the card first before connecting the cable to it (or, depending on the type, to the display end last)) additional displays, one at a
    time, so as for Windows to recognize that a new hardware device has been connected.

This has worked for me in the recent past while using Windows 10.

For what it's worth, and Good Luck,

-Richard

RichardEiler, Oct 4, 2014
  3. JimXVV Win User
    Nvidia GeForce 6150SE nforce 430 and Windows 10 upgrade

In my experience these type of updates have 'issues'. You should get drivers directly from the hardware supplier.

The Video driver hasn't been updated for W10 by Nvidia but if you follow this link then you will get a driver that works with W10. Look for GeForce 309.8 and choose either 32 or 64 bit depending on what W10 OS you install.

You need to FIRST manually install W10 using the MS Media Creation Tool. This will install with a default video driver and you then update the Nvidia driver. Just follow the instructions.

NVIDIA compatibility issue with Windows 10 (Solved) - Ivan Ridao Freitas

HTH

JimXVV, Oct 4, 2014
  4. Saltgrass Win User

On one of my installs, I was given a Nvidia update before I attempted to download them. The second install I went ahead and download and installed. Perhaps there was a conflict with the Windows 10 provided ones and what you downloaded.

Saltgrass, Oct 4, 2014
  5. MrNeeds Win User
    both were fresh installs on the same computer, just different hard drives, using the same USB flash drive, seems a little strange.

MrNeeds, Oct 4, 2014
  6. z3r010 Win User
    I just took mine from Windows update, at this early stage I'd rather have something that Microsoft has tested and pushed to me.

z3r010, Oct 4, 2014
  7. CountMike New Member
    AMD/ATI does not have any new drivers either, fortunately old ones work.

CountMike, Oct 4, 2014
  8. Nvidia Display drivers updated for W10 DP (possibly)

I just used the Nvidia driver that came from Windows 10 Updates which is what I do in Windows 7.
    They both are the same and they both work as they should.

My understanding is that Nvidia makes driver to make Nvidia happy and then Microsoft smacks them around a while
    to make sure the drivers play well with Windows.
    My Nvidia drivers are always outdated but they work with Windows.

Layback Bear, Oct 4, 2014
  9. CountMike New Member
    MS does not write any drivers, manufacturers send them basic ones, just barely enough so they work. MS than hopefully checks them out and eventually certify them (WDM and "Signed drivers").

CountMike, Oct 4, 2014
  10. Dude Win User
    The only issue I have with letting window update install the NVidia drivers is it does a full install, adding 3d vision that I don't use.

11. bromanbro Win User
    By default Win8 just uses slightly outdated AMD GPU drivers. Probably same for NVIDIA. I doubt there's any differences between those and Windows 8's drivers. Right now Win10 is probably very similar to 8 internally, so at least for my AMD GPU, Window's 8's drivers are perfect.

bromanbro, Oct 4, 2014
  12. LittleJay Win User
    Agreed! For testing purposes I just went with the driver that came with Windows Update, but if and when I buy W10 RTM, then I will go back to downloading the latest driver from Nvidia.

LittleJay, Oct 4, 2014
  13. MrNeeds Win User

the highest resolution i was offered was 1024x768 before i installed the drivers, so for me it was necessary.

MrNeeds, Oct 4, 2014
  14. azasadny Win User
    I downloaded and installed the latest Nvidia drivers from the NVidia website and all is fine...

azasadny, Oct 6, 2014
  15. *Ditto

Kellymac35, Oct 6, 2014
Thema:

1. Nvidia Display drivers updated for W10 DP (possibly) - Similar Threads - Nvidia Display drivers

2. Blue Screen of Death - Possibly NVIDIA Driver

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blue Screen of Death - Possibly NVIDIA Driver: Hi all,I have been having some BSOD errors on my computer. They started out as KERNEL MODE HEAP CORRUPTION and BAD POOL CALLER. I tried working through the typical steps scan with SFC, Scan with dism.exe, and check RAM. I would have the BSOD come up a few times within an hour...
  3. Blue Screen of Death - Possibly NVIDIA Driver

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Blue Screen of Death - Possibly NVIDIA Driver: Hi all,I have been having some BSOD errors on my computer. They started out as KERNEL MODE HEAP CORRUPTION and BAD POOL CALLER. I tried working through the typical steps scan with SFC, Scan with dism.exe, and check RAM. I would have the BSOD come up a few times within an hour...
  4. nvidia driver updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    nvidia driver updates: Today, I attempted to run X-Plane 11 on a windows laptop with a Nvidia Geforce GTX graphics card for the workload. This was working fine a week ago. Now it says my driver needs to be updated. The Vulkan page is confusion. The Nvidia page says that the OEM should put the...
  5. Disable automatic updates for Nvidia drivers only. Is it possible?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disable automatic updates for Nvidia drivers only. Is it possible?: After a year of working with fresh Windows, I suddenly got an update today for my Nvidia DCH driver. I did a small research and my guess is that Windows 10 updates DCH driver like a part of regular Windows Drivers Updates (setupapi.dev log file also contains a record about...
  6. updating nvidia drivers

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    updating nvidia drivers: my laptop is alienware 17 r5 i9 and it has nvidia geforce gtx 1080 graphics card. i am currently on windows 10 build 1809 is having the latest windows build a requirement to install new drivers? i asked a nvidia support agent about that. he said that the new drivers are...
  7. nvidia display driver error

nvidia display driver error: I installed new gpu but driver failed two times I don't have oem machine still standard driver did not work why dch driver worked? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/nvidia-display-driver-error/f30b7b9c-a5b2-4c88-aa33-891ba4e2129f
  8. 0x124 - possibly related to NVIDIA drivers?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    0x124 - possibly related to NVIDIA drivers?: I've been having a crashing problem recently. Hi all, this problem has been pestering me for months, but after failed attempts to fix it myself, I felt I should ask for help. I am running Windows 10 (64-bit), but this problem also occurred on 8.1 and 7 (both 64-bit)...
  9. BSOD at startup ocassionally, possibly Nvidia drivers?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD at startup ocassionally, possibly Nvidia drivers?: Howdy, Upgraded to windows 10 from 8.1 (computer came with windows 7 originally), and now I am having all sorts of issues with windows 10. One of them being frequent BSODs during startup. BlueScreenView is showing ntoskrnl.exe is the problem (but as I have read here, most...
  10. Possible NVIDIA Driver Freezing (With no NVIDIA card)

Possible NVIDIA Driver Freezing (With no NVIDIA card): Hello, I have had Windows 10 pretty much since official release- and it's great! One problem however; it seems to crash every now and then. By crash, I mean the computer freezes up (No BSOD) and I can't move mouse nor turn num-lock off... The only option is to force shut...