Windows 10: nVidia driver 341.74 + Win10Pro = BSOD

Discus and support nVidia driver 341.74 + Win10Pro = BSOD in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello Self build rig - a few years old now. Mobo: ASUS P5N-D, Intel Core2 Quad Q9550, 8Gb Ram. Tower case with lots of cooling. Graphics cards: 2 x... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by BarneyMcgrew, Aug 18, 2015.

1. nVidia driver 341.74 + Win10Pro = BSOD

Hello
    Self build rig - a few years old now.
    Mobo: ASUS P5N-D, Intel Core2 Quad Q9550, 8Gb Ram. Tower case with lots of cooling.
    Graphics cards: 2 x GTX280 SLi (supposedly supported by driver version 341.74)
    Multi screen: 2 x 24", 1 x 21

Diagnostics file attached.

Upgraded to Windows 10 Pro from 8.1 Pro. System was long term stable under 8.1. Now getting regular BSODs. Always the exact same message and fault ID. Here's the report from "Whocrashed"

On Wed 19/08/2015 14:23:14 GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\081915-22484-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (nvlddmkm+0x154608)
    Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFE001228D24C0, 0xFFFFF800C0174608, 0x0, 0xD)
    Error: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
    file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys
    product: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 341.74
    company: NVIDIA Corporation
    description: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 341.74
    Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.
    A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 341.74 , NVIDIA Corporation).
    Google query: NVIDIA Corporation VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

On Wed 19/08/2015 14:23:14 GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\memory.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (0xFFFFF800C0174608)
    Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFE001228D24C0, 0xFFFFF800C0174608, 0x0, 0xD)
    Error: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
    file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys
    product: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 341.74
    company: NVIDIA Corporation
    description: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 341.74
    Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.
    A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 341.74 , NVIDIA Corporation).
    Google query: NVIDIA Corporation VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

I'm about to roll back to 8.1 as this is making getting any work done almost impossible.

Any thoughts ideas would be welcome. I actually like Windows 10 a lot but this issue just kills it (literally!)

(btw. also posted in nVidia forum a few days ago - no luck there yet)

Cheers.

:)

BarneyMcgrew, Aug 18, 2015

2. BSOD with the error Video_TDR_Failure (NVLDDMKM.SYS) with NVIDIA 630M and windows 10

Same here with a Toshiba Qosmio X300 Nvidia GF 9800M GTX 1GB, upgrade from Windows 8.1 to W10.

With W8.1 no pb, driver 341.44. With W10 M$ installed 341.74 and gives this BSOD. Installed W8.1 driver 341.44 and W10 works without ANY BSOD. Was difficult to install because BSOD came very fast after boot.

Hope M$ will find a solution.

EricMottier, Aug 18, 2015
  3. mrjcjones Win User
    NVIDIA driver update for NVIDIA GeForce GTS 240 Not allowed by Windows 10

Nvidia GForce Experience tells me that there is an update for my NVIDIA GeForce GTS 240 from my current version 341.74, titled GeForce Windows 10 Driver, to 341.95, titled GeForce 341.95 Driver.

When I try to update I get the message "Unable to connect to Nvidia". After communicating with Nvidia I reinstalled GForce Experience but with no improvement. I then downloaded the updated driver and did a clean install.

Immediately after the install, Windows Update downloaded a NVIDIA driver update for NVIDIA GeForce GTS 240 and installed it (because my settings are for automatic update and install) which reverted the driver to the previous version 341.74, titled GeForce
    Windows 10 Driver.

I tried once more to update the driver and the same thing happened.

Why will Windows Update not allow me to update to the latest driver?

Nvidia say that there is no agreement between them and Microsoft to give Windows 10 Update control over the driver update process.

mrjcjones, Aug 18, 2015
  4. nVidia driver 341.74 + Win10Pro = BSOD

Replying to myself here.
    I finally got my system stable - Windows 10 Pro upgrade - currently running image 10.0.10240.16384 + nVidia 341.74

WARNING: Just a heads up, I updated the driver to 341.81 and the whole sorry cycle started again with the exact same errors occuring.
    nVidia driver 341.74 + Win10Pro = BSOD [​IMG]
    *Mad I have now re-installed 341.74 and seem to be stable once more (although as observed by many others, the crashes can come at any time whilst doing seemingly random things). I'm not sure how long to wait before confidently again declaring myself stable!

OK - so this is what I did. I'm not saying it will work for you but if nothing else has, it's worth a try.

Naturally, first run usual scans for viruses, malware, rootkits etc. Assuming all clear. Run sfc /scannow in the usual elevated command prompt. You may well find that some core Windows files have been corrupted during the BSOD events. With luck sfc will fix them. If not you'll probably have to go to DISM repair methods.

Before you start, you'll need DDU uninstaller (Guru3D.com) or something similar (or try uninstalling via MS normal method before Safe Mode method below, if you don't like using special uninstallers), a downloaded copy of the nVidia drivers and put them on the desktop temporarily.

OK - here's what worked (fingers crossed, is still working) for me.
    1. Boot into Safe Mode. I choose to reboot into Safe Mode only (no networking).
    2. Run DDU as admin. Choose Clean & Reboot. It runs quickly and will only take 30 seconds to finish.
    3. Don't reset default Windows behaviour. (It's an option button in DDU)
    4. Reboot into Windows (obviously you'll have a default screen res temporarily)
    5. Reboot again into Safe Mode
    6. Install nVidia driver in Safe Mode. I chose Custom Install and Clean Installation
    7. You can't install all modules this way but the main ones get installed.
    8. Reboot
    9. You may have to rearrange your desktop
    10. Cross you fingers and go about your day(s) enjoying Windows 10

If you want GeForce Experience and other modules of the nVidia package, then be carefull. Certainly, currently, GeForce Experience (which I've installed separately) is advising an update to graphic drivers 341.81, once again I'd say DON'T DO IT at least not until there's more evidence that it fixes problems, not creates them!

Hope this helps somebody. *Wink

BarneyMcgrew, Aug 25, 2015
  5. Nozmint Win User
    Posted exactly the same Problem a few hours ago..
    The only difference to what i tried is point 6
    didn´t install the Nvidia driver in safe mode.. thought that isn´t possible in safe mode?
    I tried the 341,44, 341,74 and 341,81...

and my system always crash latest 5-10 Minutes after start.. anyway it is used or ´standby´.

Nozmint, Aug 25, 2015
  6. swarfega Win User
    Have you tried uninstalling that driver and downloading the latest 355.60 version?

Uninstall the driver
    Reboot
    Run ccleaner file scanner and registry scanner (make sure you go through ccleaner's options before hand)
    Reboot again
    Install 355..60 driver.

swarfega, Aug 25, 2015
  7. Nozmint Win User
    The latest driver for my card is the 341,81.. it is an older 9600GSO fatality
    So the driver u told isn´t compatible for me.

All the other steps i tried yet.. without the driver install in safe mode if possible.

Nozmint, Aug 25, 2015
  8. nVidia driver 341.74 + Win10Pro = BSOD

Just thought I would throw my 2cents. I also have a P5N-D Mobo and was having the same issue. After a lot of troubleshooting, this is the long story short. I uninstall the GeForce experience and stuck with the latest drivers. How I solved my issue was to uninstall all NVidia video drivers and shut down my computer. I went into the bios and disabled the onboard (Nvidia) LAN. I started my computer. I installed the latest driver only. Then shut my computer down. I started it back up and went into the bios and re-enabled onboard LAN. Its been working for 3 days with no crashes! I am assuming the GeForce experience does something with the NVidia lan drivers also. Why that would cause nvlddmkm.sys to timeout on restart is beyond me. And just to make sure, I even managed to duplicate the problem and solution. Not only on my PC, but a frends PC as well as he too has a Asus P5N-D. Good Luck!

TaiNTeDCHeeSe, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

nVidia driver 341.74 + Win10Pro = BSOD

1. nVidia driver 341.74 + Win10Pro = BSOD - Similar Threads - nVidia driver 341

2. Pc BSOD and issues with Nvidia gpu drivers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pc BSOD and issues with Nvidia gpu drivers: My pc had issues after a BIOS update, where the GPU no longer outputs to display and Nvidia drivers fail to install or do install and bsod the pc. Even when they do install the gpu outputs still fail to work. I've tried using DDU to remove the Nvidia drivers and download...
  3. BSOD when installing nvidia drivers

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    BSOD when installing nvidia drivers: Earlier I was trying to update to Nvidia's new driver when the installation was almost at its end my pc crashed and kept giving me BSOD. After trying everything from system recovery I had to install clean windows but now I can't seem to install my GPU driver even the old ones...
  4. BSOD caused by NVIDIA Driver?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD caused by NVIDIA Driver?: So i was playing vrchat and a couple weeks ago i updated my driver to 457.09 not important now but later.So i was playing VRChat for the first time since updating my driver and i went into the game and ran straight into a BSOD.Now this kinda scared me, since the last time i...
  5. Nvidia drivers causing BSoD?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Nvidia drivers causing BSoD?: I just installed the game readyNvidia drivers for gtx 1070 on my PC. I played Some games after, but suddenly, my PC froze and i restarted it often, but it just stopped while loading Windows 10. After Some restarts BSoD "Critical process died" appeared. I cant Start in...
  6. BSOD Win10pro with Lenovo

BSOD Win10pro with Lenovo: BSOD, especially when using Teams, on Win10pro. I checked with bluescreenviw but no error string, nothing to show that a device/driver is causing the issue - seems to be the kernel itself. Dumps and sysinfo can be found here:...
  7. BSOD On installation of any nvidia graphic driver.

BSOD On installation of any nvidia graphic driver.: Hey guys, i got myself a new PC, here's the rig: MOBO: MSI TOMAHAWK B450 MAX CPU: AMD RYZEN 5 3600 GRAPHICS: EVGA GTX 1660 SUPER RAM: 2x8GO DDR4 CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX C16 3200MHZ SSD: KINGSTON A400 480GO HARD DRIVE: WBLUE 1TO 3.5" PSU: CORSAIR RM650X 80+ GOLD NETWORK:...
  8. BSOD everytime I install Nvidia driver

BSOD everytime I install Nvidia driver: hello all, my laptop Acer swift 3 SF314-54g recently get a bluescreen with code driver power state failure and video dxgkrnl everytime I install Nvidia driver My device spec is : core i3-7020u GeForce MX150 8GB ram windwows 10 1809 and I already try 4 nvidia driver and...
  9. Bsod windows 10 nvidia driver

Bsod windows 10 nvidia driver: My computer has been crashing since i built it back in January. I finally found out it is my driver. I have a GTX 750ti and when i uninstalled the driver I had no problems, but I can't play any games. I can use the computer perfect when I uninstall my Nvidia driver, but to...
  10. Bsod windows 10 nvidia driver

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bsod windows 10 nvidia driver: My computer has been crashing since i built it back in January. I finally found out it is my driver. I have a GTX 750ti and when i uninstalled the driver I had no problems, but I can't play any games. I can use the computer perfect when I uninstall my Nvidia driver, but to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. nvidia driver 341.74 win10pro = bsod

2. nvidia driver version 341.74 crashes windows 10