Windows 10: NVIDIA Driver causes system instability and BSOD in Lenovo Y510P

Discus and support NVIDIA Driver causes system instability and BSOD in Lenovo Y510P in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I am currently running the 358.50 version of GeForce drivers, however there are newer ones available (361.43). For some reason when I tried updating,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by will528, Jan 9, 2016.

1. will528 Win User

NVIDIA Driver causes system instability and BSOD in Lenovo Y510P

I am currently running the 358.50 version of GeForce drivers, however there are newer ones available (361.43). For some reason when I tried updating, my system got really unstable and eventually blue screened with KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE. When I rebooted it was fine, until I tried to use a graphics intensive application (Photoshop) that caused my laptop to switch from Intel HD to NVidia. My computer locked up and crashed again. I booted into safe mode and rolled back the driver, but I need to install that driver eventually as I use this laptop for gaming and Photoshop.

Maybe another driver needs to be updated? Maybe it's my Intel driver? I couldn't find any issues comparable to mine so I'm assuming there is a conflict I can't find. Thanks for any help you can give me, I don't know much about how drivers work.

:)

will528, Jan 9, 2016

2. Start menu tiles broken

Lenovo Y510P, PN 20217 (w.Dual nVidia GT 755 @ SLI), all the latest drivers.

New screens uploaded.

DobriDobrev, Jan 9, 2016
  3. sharathBJ Win User
    lenovo y510p nvidia geforce gt 755m driver missing and cd drive missing

lenovo y510p nvidia geforce gt 755m driver missing and cd drive missing in windows 10 how to install it

sharathBJ, Jan 9, 2016
  4. Mooshie Win User

Exact same thing has happened to me with a Lenovo Y410p. I did a Windows 10 update yesterday and updated my drivers including my Nvidia driver and since then I have gotten three KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE BSOD when running graphic intensive applications like Photoshop or Illustrator. Today I did a fresh install of Windows to see if it fixed the problem and as soon as I tried launching a game I got the elusive orange screen of death with the same error.

Mooshie, Jan 9, 2016
  5. will528 Win User
    Well it's refreshing to hear that I'm not the only one having trouble. It must be something with the Optimus graphics switching driver. Every time it has to switch from Intel something goes wrong with the driver I guess.

will528, Jan 9, 2016
  6. My Lenovo B50-30 AIO crashes and locks up with 361.43
    went back to my old drivers 358.50 and everything fine.

So its looking like Lenovo's don't like the newer Nvidia drivers

shakennstirred, Jan 9, 2016
  7. axe0 New Member
    axe0, Jan 9, 2016
  8. will528 Win User

I always use the NVIDIA GeForce Experience app to do all of my updates. The software says the driver is compatible with my card. Windows Update also sees the update, but I have never trusted Windows Update to install my drivers, I always get them direct from the manufacturer website if I can.

will528, Jan 9, 2016
  9. will528 Win User
    So just an update, I submitted a bug report with NVIDIA to see if they know anything about it. I'll post here if they respond to my request. Maybe they know about the bug already.

will528, Jan 9, 2016
  10. axe0 New Member
    You are aware laptop manufacturers alter their drivers?
    I wouldn't recommend to install drivers directly from Nvidia, they may work but aren't 100% stable as you've noticed. This is the reason why laptop owners are usually suggested to only install the drivers from the manufacturers, unless the drivers from the manufacturer hasn't been altered.

11. will528 Win User
    Lenovo pre-installs the GeForce Experience on the laptop, which manages driver updates for the card. If they didn't want us using drivers directly from NVIDIA, they wouldn't have included that application. In addition, the driver listed for download on Lenovo's product page is simply an applet that extracts an NVIDIA Installer Package to the desktop, which also installs GeForce Experience as well. So if they only want us using their drivers, then why are they including the NVIDIA update software in all of the installers?

I can try to use the one from their website, but all it is going to do once I reboot is try to update the drivers again.

will528, Jan 9, 2016
  12. axe0 New Member
    Lenovo alters the drivers for the GPU, but doesn't do anything else to the install package which includes Geforce Experience.

Would it be fair for laptop users to have Nvidia install packages that contain only drivers so they can't have the feature of an optimized game setting from Geforce Experience while desktop users do have the whole package?

13. will528 Win User

Don't get me wrong I love GeForce Experience, but it's irritating that the software still nags the user to update the software. While they are modifying the package they should remove the ability for the software to check for updates, I'm sure its simple to disable. What I'm saying is that it's contradictive to tell users to not install GPU drivers from the chipmaker but install a suite that nags you to do so.

I agree with you that I need to get the driver from Lenovo, but I should always be able to install the newest graphics drivers that are compatible with my card. I play games, and I need my software and drivers to be up to date. If they list the notebook as "Windows 10 Compatible", and then they don't provide drivers for it, then I don't know why they would have listed it as compatible in the first place. You can't market a gaming laptop and discontinue drivers after a month. I'm going to contact Lenovo and see what they can do, because this is ridiculous on a machine that is barely a year old.

will528, Jan 9, 2016
  14. Aereonn Win User
    I had this experience also in my Lenovo Z510. It was an upgraded Windows 10 until last week then this BSOD started showing up and now I revert to Windows 8.1. This was triggered when I'm using Photoshop or 3ds Max.

I did try assigning my Photoshop to use the Nvidia and it works, it was originally using Intel and its constantly triggering this BSOD.

Though, for 3ds Max, it was using Nvidia and it also constantly triggers this BSOD.

Now I'm on my 3rd reset and I'm going to check which driver update is causing my problem, Intel or Nvidia.

Aereonn, Jan 10, 2016
  15. Mooshie Win User
    I recently tried running a game again to test if it was consistently causing the problem. I was able to run the game fine for around an hour, but got a BSOD again when I exited the game. This seems to suggest that the BSOD is being caused by the computer switching from using the Nvidia card to the Intel one.

Also, it does look like Lenovo has not come out with any Windows 10 Nvidia drivers for quite a few systems.

Mooshie, Jan 10, 2016
Thema:

1. NVIDIA Driver causes system instability and BSOD in Lenovo Y510P - Similar Threads - NVIDIA Driver causes

2. Wireless drivers either incompatible with some networks or causing system instability

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Wireless drivers either incompatible with some networks or causing system instability: Hello. I am using an EDIMAX EW-7128GN PCI wireless card on Windows 10 Home 22H2 64 bit, on an AT&T BGW320-500 network.When using the default Windows drivers 150Mbps Wireless 802.11n PCI Adapter, Version 5.0.57.1, Provider Microsoft, the following occurs:Event viewer displays...
  3. Problems with Nvidia GT 755M on Lenovo Ideapad Y510P running Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problems with Nvidia GT 755M on Lenovo Ideapad Y510P running Windows 10: Hello there.I own a Lenovo Ideapad Y510P which has an Nvidia GT 755M graphics card. I am using the latest drivers for windows 10 from Lenovo's website.Despite all the efforts I’ve put into fixing this issue for almost 2 years now there’s been no success. Kindly advise.I’ve...
  4. Nvidia driver install causing BSOD on Win10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Nvidia driver install causing BSOD on Win10: Hi all,I've been having issues installing a driver for the Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 on my laptop. I had to do a clean Win10 reinstall 2 weeks ago, and since then I could not manage to install the driver. After some googling I found the Driver Verifier thread, and after running...
  5. Problems with Nvidia GT 755M on Lenovo Ideapad Y510P

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problems with Nvidia GT 755M on Lenovo Ideapad Y510P: I own a Lenovo Ideapad Y510P which has an Nvidia GT 755M graphics card. I am using the latest drivers for windows 10 from Lenovo's website. The problem is that even with the drivers installed, none of the applications or games use the Nvidia graphics card. All of them run...
  6. BSOD caused by NVIDIA Driver?

BSOD caused by NVIDIA Driver?: So i was playing vrchat and a couple weeks ago i updated my driver to 457.09 not important now but later.So i was playing VRChat for the first time since updating my driver and i went into the game and ran straight into a BSOD.Now this kinda scared me, since the last time i...
  7. Nvidia drivers causing BSoD?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Nvidia drivers causing BSoD?: I just installed the game readyNvidia drivers for gtx 1070 on my PC. I played Some games after, but suddenly, my PC froze and i restarted it often, but it just stopped while loading Windows 10. After Some restarts BSoD "Critical process died" appeared. I cant Start in...
  8. BSOD Unmountable_Boot_Volume Lenovo Y510P

BSOD Unmountable_Boot_Volume Lenovo Y510P: Hi folks I'm new to the forums to please excuse me. I'm currently posting from my phone so when my laptop comes on I'll attach the debug file. Basically I set my laptop to sleep instead of shutting it down and when I went back to resume my work (about 20 hours later) it...
  9. Audio driver for Lenovo Y510P

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Audio driver for Lenovo Y510P: Hello. I have Lenovo Y510P and upgraded to W10 64bit. It has no sounds and has an red X where the icon is. I hear that my laptop isnt W10 compatible but there must be someone out there using it on W10. What driver can I use?? I have tried the driver for 8 and 8.1 but it...
  10. HDD to SSD Lenovo Y510P

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    HDD to SSD Lenovo Y510P: Hello, I want to change my HDD to a SSD. My Y510P is on Windows 10 and has a small 24gb SSD already. If I want to clone my HDD to my brand new Samsung Evo 850 500gb SSD it's not working, because there are Windows files in my small 24gb SSD. In Disk Management it...