Windows 10: NVIDIA driver crashes and recovers during both general use and video

Discus and support NVIDIA driver crashes and recovers during both general use and video in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Hi, I am running Windows 10 with the Insider Program. It's the 64 bit version. I have the latest (just checked) NVIDIA driver for my GTX 560 Ti.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by YonathanZ, Nov 21, 2015.

1. YonathanZ Win User

NVIDIA driver crashes and recovers during both general use and video

Hi,

I am running Windows 10 with the Insider Program. It's the 64 bit version.
    I have the latest (just checked) NVIDIA driver for my GTX 560 Ti.

In the last few days I've experienced a problem in which the graphics driver crashes and then recovers after a few seconds. When it crashes, the screen goes black, as if there's no signal. Then it goes back on, but if I was playing a video when it crashed, the media player (MPC-HC) needs to be restarted, otherwise playback cannot be resumed.

It also happens during general use, ie web browsing and such, though it certainly is more frequent when playing back videos. I'd say 80% of the crashes occur during video playback. And when that happens, in addition to the black screen, the GPU's fan goes full power until the driver is restored.

Since NVIDIA hasn't released a new Windows 10 driver since July, is it safe to say that it's a hardware and not a software issue?

:)

YonathanZ, Nov 21, 2015

2. NVidia drivers carshing while playing games and normal usage of operating system in Windows 10

I have 2 computers running Windows 10.

1. Asus Z87a motherboard. Intel I5 6570. Asus 750Gtx video card * gigs ram.

2 Asus X99A motherboard, Intel I7 5820k, MSI. 780GTX video card. 16 gig ram.

Both have the latest Driver from NVidia. have not gotten the error code because it crashes and recovers quickly. I have tried various drivers. Now I am dual booting with Windows 8.1 Same hardware on both no crashes with the same version driver. It seems
    to happen both in games and just general surfing.

KeithCarpenterYB, Nov 21, 2015
  3. Intel Video Driver crashes and recovers

Every now and then Windows 10 will helpfully inform me that the display driver has stopped and managed to restart. Nothing exciting is going on at the time, no games. The chrome browser is usually active but it may or may not be involved. My system is
    an i7-4700MQ and is using the Intel HD 4600, running the 64 bit version of Win10. This error occured with the video driver windows installed when I upgraded from 8.1 to 10. And It continues to occur after I manually installed the latest driver from Intel.

Its really not very troublesome, it only hiccups for half a sec of so and continues. It is tacky though. *winks*

Here's the XML of one of the crashes from the event manager.

L: -
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider
    Name="Display" />

<EventID Qualifiers="0">4101</EventID>

<Level>3</Level>

<Task>0</Task>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated
    SystemTime="2015-08-13T21:12:53.000000000Z" />

<EventRecordID>2877</EventRecordID>

<Channel>System</Channel>

<Computer>Caddis</Computer>

<Security
    />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data>igfx</Data>

<Data
    />

</EventData>

</Event>

Larry

Lawrence Whitley, Nov 21, 2015
  4. banger Win User

I have the same problem with a GT610. I am using the drivers released on 7 Nov 2015, 359.00. Last working driver for me on win 10 was 347.88. but windows update keeps replacing them with the latest buggy drivers. I have wrote to nvidia and microsoft using their feedback apps but its never fixed. This IS a driver bug as 347.88 works perfectly.

banger, Nov 21, 2015
  5. YonathanZ Win User
    A driver from November 7? What? I just checked with Geforce Experience and it says my driver from July is the latest!

EDIT: Manually checked NVIDIA's website and indeed there is a driver from November (11...) for my card. Not sure what's up with Geforce Experience... Will update tomorrow (it's past 12 AM here...).

YonathanZ, Nov 22, 2015
  6. spapakons Win User
    Always get latest driver directly from nVidia, not Windows Update! If you discover that a new driver doesn't work well and you return to an old driver, you can hide any driver update to stop it installing and replacing your working driver.

PS: Thank you for the info. I hadn't realized nVidia released a newer driver. I'll install it ASAP.

spapakons, Nov 22, 2015
  7. YonathanZ Win User
    I wasn't using Windows Update to update my card, I was using NVIDIA's own Geforce Experience, which is why I was very surprised to find out there was a newer driver. I've installed it earlier today and just watched a full 42 minute episode without any crashes! *Smile Will mark as Solved for now...

YonathanZ, Nov 22, 2015
  8. YonathanZ Win User

Damn, it's back. It just happened 3 times in a row as I was just using Firefox and playing some music. The screen didn't go black though, it was an instant recovery.

EDIT: It keeps happening, and now the screen goes black as before... It's very frequent now, like twice a minute or so.
    My GPU temps are fine at around 55C when idle.

What else can I try?

YonathanZ, Nov 24, 2015
  9. spapakons Win User
    Did you do any overclocking either directly on the card or on the PCI bus? Then try resetting these to default values. Go in BIOS and set any power to auto and any clock value to auto/default. I would also try to change the power supply, in case you need a more powerful or this one simply started to go bad. If you ask a technician there is a tester you can connect and see the accuracy of the voltages. If there is much difference from the nominal value, then you should consider changing the power supply. You can also use Aida64 (Computer->Sensors) to check some values yourself.

spapakons, Nov 24, 2015
  10. batlhilz Win User
    it just might be relaxing up and blowing up soonish. how old is the card itself? you can also try and test (if not yet done) DDU to remove all the drivers in safemode and then just get the newest drivers for it

batlhilz, Nov 24, 2015
  11. MrNeeds Win User
    It's a known issue with certain Nvidia cards, I have the same GPU and it happens with mine, it's a problem with windows TDR_DELAY(Timeout Detection and Recovery), it crashes the driver for whatever reason, only MS can fix this *Sad

MrNeeds, Nov 24, 2015
  12. banger Win User
    347.88 driver doesn't get TDRs.

banger, Nov 24, 2015
  13. spapakons Win User

Yes, try latest driver 359.00 It should fix your problems. You may uninstall anything older first, just in case.

spapakons, Nov 24, 2015
  14. YonathanZ Win User
    I have installed 359.00 two days ago... Only got worse. I haven't had any crashes in about 8 hours now, though.
    No overclocking whatsoever, ever.
    Power supply is rather overkill for this GPU at 850W.

If it happens again, I'll install 347.88, as suggested by 'banger'.

YonathanZ, Nov 24, 2015
  15. YonathanZ Win User
    The problem has returned yesterday, and now it crashes Photoshop whenever it happens, so I can't even do work stuff. Gonna try 347.88 and will report back if the problem returns. Regardless, I'm getting a GTX 960 today, for a new 4K TV.

UPDATE: OK, that was quick. Restarted after installing 347.88, and 20 seconds later it crashed. Hopefully it won't happen with the 960.

YonathanZ, Dec 1, 2015
Thema:

1. NVIDIA driver crashes and recovers during both general use and video - Similar Threads - NVIDIA driver crashes

2. Crashing during use

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Crashing during use: here there, my computer crashes when I play minecraft and it seems playing Spotify at the same time. I did not used to do this. i am on windows 11 and here are the bsod files thanks in advance.https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rZxpea982oClxJbu6Zt5CxeHbVrpmmCC/view?usp=sharing...
  3. Crashing during use

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Crashing during use: here there, my computer crashes when I play minecraft and it seems playing Spotify at the same time. I did not used to do this. i am on windows 11 and here are the bsod files thanks in advance.https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rZxpea982oClxJbu6Zt5CxeHbVrpmmCC/view?usp=sharing...
  4. Nvidia OpenGL Driver crashing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Nvidia OpenGL Driver crashing: Hello,I've been getting crashes constantly while playing games due to the Nvidia drivers crashing.I have tried many drivers using DDU but the crashes stayed. So, it is not a heating problem and not a driver issue.Any Help?Here are the Event Viewer error logs:1* The...
  5. Nvidia Driver Crashed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Nvidia Driver Crashed: My Nvidia Graphics Card Driver crashed when i playing games and Device Manager show code43,some game showing out of video memory and some showing DirectX error tried at another computer also same.Then i restart my pc and its back to normal,also working normally if i doesn't...
  6. nvidia video driver is not combat compatible?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    nvidia video driver is not combat compatible?: hi guys, having problems with my graphics card driver, first tried to update via geforece expericen, but it said: This nvidia graphics driver is not compatible with this windows version? I also checked my windows version is also current (version 1909) and 64bit....
  7. Consistent BSOD's occuring during general use.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Consistent BSOD's occuring during general use.: Hi All, Recently I have been experiencing regular BSOD's, There isnt anything specific I am doing when this happens, Mostly playing games ( Destiny 2 ) downloading files/updates, or just leaving the pc locked. I have tried the following: Reinstalled windows 10 , Upgraded...
  8. BSOD During general use

BSOD During general use: While doing normal browsing in chrome and operating windows applications such as explorer I get BSOD. I was also getting frequent issues when playing CS:GO although they seems to have been improved after reinstalling nVidia drivers after using display driver uninstaller. 66902
  9. Latest NVIDIA drivers keep crashing and recovering

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Latest NVIDIA drivers keep crashing and recovering: GT610 and windows 10 latest drivers, was in firefox and chose print preview and got a black screen shortly followed by a banner saying the graphics driver had crashed and recovered. Also brought firefox to its knees as it also crashed. Repeated the previous steps and it was...
  10. BSOD During General Use

BSOD During General Use: Hello, I'd like to have some assistance regarding my BSOD problems. They occur during general use like web browsing, file management, and at any time really. If any information is required, please inform me. Here is a zip of what I was told to upload. Attachment 53162 33492