Windows 10: Nvidia driver update:need/don't need?

Discus and support Nvidia driver update:need/don't need? in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Hello folks, my first post here. Short bio: 63 years old. Bought first desktop 2009 w/ Windows 7 Home, 4GB Ram, weenie video card. Found the Windows 7... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by rusty post, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Nvidia driver update:need/don't need?

Hello folks, my first post here. Short bio: 63 years old. Bought first desktop 2009 w/ Windows 7 Home, 4GB Ram, weenie video card. Found the Windows 7 forum, people there very generous, learning all the time. Got into photography, editing with Adobe Lightroom. LR came out with new version that performed upgraded tasks that my machine couldn't handle. Added 4 more GB Ram, by myself; so proud! Started using photo editing plug-ins from Topaz Labs, machine handled, but slowly. Topaz then came out with a super plug-in that required OpenGL 3.2 or higher, and at least 1GB of dedicated memory to open the application, 2GB or more recommended for optimal performance. Ground my poor little HP to a halt. Bought new computer with Windows 10 installed, and have been migrating back and forth between computers with W7 and W10, taking baby steps, digging W10 more and more as I pick it up. Thanks for bearing with me. Here's my question:

I got a pop-up on my desktop from Nvidia saying there's a driver update for my card (GeForce GTX650), went to Nvidia website, the update is GeForce Game Ready Driver. Now I do absolutely no gaming, so if it ain't broke...I figure I do not need this driver update. Question: How would I determine which driver updates I would need for my card? Thanks in advance, I'll be perusing this forum a lot.. The tutorials are excellent!

:)

rusty post, Mar 2, 2016

2. Manual updates in Windows 10

WU in Win10 keeps installing video drivers for my nVidia GTX760. It's the wrong driver.

After it installs it, I lose my primary monitor and it routes all video to my HDMI port as the Primary monitor. There is NO second monitor found even though BOTH are attached.

It also removes the nVidia Experience program and removes nVidia Preferences tab in the dialog box when you right click on the desktop.

I have to re-install the program and drivers for Win7/8.1 from the nVidia CD that came with the video card to regain the program, correct drivers and my primary monitor.

We really NEED the option to NOT install the updates that we don't want, Don't need, or already KNOW cause errors or do not work (wrong drivers).

MyGL1800Jet, Mar 2, 2016
  3. M0nk3y_ Win User
    Can't change Microsoft Basic Display Driver to my Nvidia

Hey everyone, so for the past 3 hours i've been trying to fix the issue stated in the title. I recently did a system restore and Microsoft changed my display driver to Microsoft Basic Display and I
    don't know how to change it. I've tried updating in windows because it shows the Nvidia driver I need to update to but whenever I try to update it I get this error:

nVidia - Graphics Adapter WDDM2.0 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 - Error 0x80070017

I've also tried to install the drivers needed through GeForce experience but I get errors too..

I have a Nvidia Gefore 960 GTX.

Any help is much appreciated

M0nk3y_, Mar 2, 2016
  4. pbcopter Win User

Nvidia driver update:need/don't need?

Hi and welcome.

All the Nvidia drivers since August 2015 have been called Game Ready so don't let that influence you. However, most updates to the Nvidia drivers have been to support new graphics cards and to improve some gaming experience.
    If your system is performing to your liking, I would not necessarily update the drivers. Just my opinion.

pbcopter, Mar 2, 2016
  5. I would say that you should update your NVIDIA driver as soon as an update is released. I'm very religious about doing this.

AnonVendetta, Mar 3, 2016
  6. Thank you for your response. I'm a bit inexperienced, therefore leery about this. The updated driver appears to be gaming specific. I do not game whatsoever, so do I really need to do this, since I have no problems with my current card? Could it potentially cause problems? This is the whole point of my inquiry.

rusty post, Mar 3, 2016
  7. pbcopter Win User
    As I said previously, no you do not need to update the driver. Some people update just because it is there and not because it is needed.
    Go to Nvidia's forum and see that many users will update a driver and then find it necessary to revert because of issues. If your system is working, I would advise not to update.

pbcopter, Mar 3, 2016
  8. Nvidia driver update:need/don't need?

Works for me, thanks.

rusty post, Mar 4, 2016
  9. just because its the latest driver doesn't mean its a must have update.
    take the last few updates, they make my PC lock up randomly so I'm still on 59.10 the highest stable one for me

shakennstirred, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Nvidia driver update:need/don't need?

1. Nvidia driver update:need/don't need? - Similar Threads - Nvidia driver update

2. need update for driver BCM20702A0.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    need update for driver BCM20702A0.: need sound driver BCM20702A0to install blue tooth head set https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-update-for-driver-bcm20702a0/cd4896d5-250b-4f3c-9383-374687507ebc
  3. need update for driver BCM20702A0.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    need update for driver BCM20702A0.: need sound driver BCM20702A0to install blue tooth head set https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-update-for-driver-bcm20702a0/cd4896d5-250b-4f3c-9383-374687507ebc
  4. need update for driver BCM20702A0.

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Printer needing driver updates.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Printer needing driver updates.: This has been a ongoing issue. when a user going to print something there is a message that says driver update needed, however the driver on the print server is the same as what's on the laptop. We have to uninstall and reinstall the printer....
  6. Printer needing driver updates.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Printer needing driver updates.: This has been a ongoing issue. when a user going to print something there is a message that says driver update needed, however the driver on the print server is the same as what's on the laptop. We have to uninstall and reinstall the printer....
  7. Printer needing driver updates.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. Need nVidia driver for laptop that needs recovery media restore - how?

Need nVidia driver for laptop that needs recovery media restore - how?: I need to locate the core video display driver for a Windows laptop where the partition got trashed, for use with backup software recovery media. (I used Kyhi's Rescue disk to verify that the Windows partition is not readable.) My Lenovo T560 laptop somehow lost both the...
  9. Drivers need updating

Drivers need updating: I bought Windows 10 for my computer about a year ago and now it is not working right. It is putting files in strange places and I cannot alphabetize them. They are telling me that my drivers need to be updated at a cost of $30. Is this legit?...
  10. Nvidia Geforce 7150m / 630 drivers x64 needed pls

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Nvidia Geforce 7150m / 630 drivers x64 needed pls: anyone have a good driver for this slightly older vista-era laptop? the machine is a HP DV9917CL. I have it running with the old HP vista 64 driver. it works pretty good but I get some flashes and blackouts on certain aero functions [haven't tried sans-aero yet]....