Windows 10: NVMe vs Sata 3 SSD Performance Comparison

Discus and support NVMe vs Sata 3 SSD Performance Comparison in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Today I got the Samsung 960 Pro 512Gb NVMe drive. Previously I was using the Samsung 850 Pro 512GB drive. The two screenshots below show the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by swarfega, Jun 2, 2017.

1. swarfega Win User

NVMe vs Sata 3 SSD Performance Comparison

Today I got the Samsung 960 Pro 512Gb NVMe drive. Previously I was using the Samsung 850 Pro 512GB drive.

The two screenshots below show the difference between Sata 3 based SSD and an NVMe one.

NVMe vs Sata 3 SSD Performance Comparison [​IMG]

So for those of you who are thinking about getting one and weren't aware of the difference in performance, I think its definitely worth it.

:)

swarfega, Jun 2, 2017

2. Storage Spaces Win10 vs Server 2016

Hi all,

Is there any documentation on the advantages of Storage Spaces in server 2016 vs Windows 10 Pro. Any additional features or more robust underlying tech that makes it better in the Server OS. Cost of Pro vs server standard is not a problem in this case
    with 2 nvme and 8 sata ssds in a system.

Ryan_Siforce, Jun 2, 2017
  3. What to do when changing windows 10 boot drive from AHCI to NVMe

My windows 10 is installed on a samsung 850 SSD using SATA 3 and AHCI. I read that newer SSDs that plug right into the motherboard like the M.2 Format use NVMe or else are a lot slower than advertised. If I wanted to migrate my boot drive from the Samsung
    850 SATA 3 AHCI to an M.2 NVME using Acronis or something would I run into problems? Would I instead need to do a clean install of Windows 10 after changing the bios from AHCI to NVMe and plugging in the hypothetical M.2? Am I misunderstanding something altogether?

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

steampvnc1880, Jun 2, 2017
  4. Mystere Win User

The 960 and 850 are pretty huge differences in technology. A better comparison would be the 950 and the 850, which I just so happen to have. Using the default tests:

Interesting thing to note. The above numbers seemed a little low to me, so I ran a second test on my D: drive which is completely empty and got much higher numbers. Make of that what you will. They're both NVMe, on the same computer.

Mystere, Jun 3, 2017
  5. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

My own Patriot MVMe drive (which I do not recommend to anyone by the way) is falling inbetween the two.
    Major issue with these drives is thermal throtling so cooling is essential.
    Other than benchmarking, I am rather underwelmed all in all. Mostly by the current products implementation, not by the inherent potential.
    IOW, the technology is bottlenecked by MB's a few years old and yes, cooling.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Jun 3, 2017
  6. CountMike New Member
    NVMe drives may be much faster than SATA drives because of interface but not all are like that.

CountMike, Jun 4, 2017
  7. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Care to elaborate on that Mike ?

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Jun 4, 2017
  8. f14tomcat Win User

One more for the pot. NVMe PM961 SSD SAMSUNG

f14tomcat, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. NVMe vs Sata 3 SSD Performance Comparison - Similar Threads - NVMe Sata SSD

2. cloning sata ssd to m.2 nvme

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cloning sata ssd to m.2 nvme: Hi so i'm planning on building a new pc and my main storage drive on it will be an m.2 nvme and i want to clone my current pc's main sata ssd with my windows install on it to the new pc, I already know how to clone sata ssd to m.2 nvme and keep all my old files and keep...
  3. cloning sata ssd to m.2 nvme

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cloning sata ssd to m.2 nvme: Hi so i'm planning on building a new pc and my main storage drive on it will be an m.2 nvme and i want to clone my current pc's main sata ssd with my windows install on it to the new pc, I already know how to clone sata ssd to m.2 nvme and keep all my old files and keep...
  4. cloning sata ssd to m.2 nvme

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. What is SATA or NVMe SSD? How to tell if SSD is SATA or NVMe?

in Windows 10 News
    What is SATA or NVMe SSD? How to tell if SSD is SATA or NVMe?: The storage world can be a confusing place, particularly for those trying to learn the basics. It’s a difference that might not seem like a big deal, but it can really affect how your system runs. Today we are talking about SATA-based SSD and NVMe-based SSD. What are the...
  6. Can a NVMe SSD simply replace a SATA 3?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can a NVMe SSD simply replace a SATA 3?: 4 months out of warranty, the SSD in my Lenovo Yoga 920 died. I was going to replace it with another 80mm SATA 3 SSD but just discovered NVMe SSDs. I'm wondering whether I can use one of these or whether in fact some devices do or don't have NVMe support. 138101
  7. Help needed to understand NVME/SATA ssd types.

Help needed to understand NVME/SATA ssd types.: Right my system is an Acer pre-built, it comes with a 1Tb SATA HDD and a 16Gb Intel Optane cache. The system works perfectly, I have no issues really but I was considering swapping the Optane module out for a normal NVME SSD. To me it makes sense because instead of relying on...
  8. Help needed to understand NVME/SATA ssd types.

in Windows 10 Support
    Help needed to understand NVME/SATA ssd types.: Right my system is an Acer pre-built, it comes with a 1Tb SATA HDD and a 16Gb Intel Optane cache. The system works perfectly, I have no issues really but I was considering swapping the Optane module out for a normal NVME SSD. To me it makes sense because instead of relying on...
  9. NVMe vs SATA for M.2 SSD? Samsung 970 EVO

NVMe vs SATA for M.2 SSD? Samsung 970 EVO: What kind of M.2 do I have? NVMe vs SATA? That is the question here! Hi! I have this notebook: Dell G3 5379 and want to get a fast SSD Drive. Will this one fit? I'm confused about NVMe. My notebook has an M.2 slot and so far I only used traditional SATA 2.5" SSD drives....
  10. Performance comparison

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Performance comparison: So, i know that it is still very alpha release of windows 10 and there should be many changes before final release, but what do you think about performance of windows 10 in its current stage (of course, lol, installed as real os, not in vmware or anything like that) ?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. samsung nvme 970 evo plus when throtling

2. compare win 10 on ssd vs m.2 nvme

3. Nvme versus sata SSD for windows boot

4. windows performances on ssd vs nvme ssd,
  5. windows 10 performanc on nvme vs sata