Windows 10: Occasional black screen/hang which doesn't produce minidumps

Discus and support Occasional black screen/hang which doesn't produce minidumps in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Recently i've updated my pc to Windows 10 and now it keeps crashing/hanging quite often and mostly while im in games. Basically the "shutdown... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Cel, Aug 13, 2015.

1. CEL
    Cel Win User

Occasional black screen/hang which doesn't produce minidumps

Recently i've updated my pc to Windows 10 and now it keeps crashing/hanging quite often and mostly while im in games.

Basically the "shutdown sound" plays, PC freezes, monitor goes black, keyboard and everything else switches off but apparently the pc continues working since i could hear teamspeak in the background once. Nothing else works and the only thing i can do is hard reboot. Unfortunately because of that no minidump is created and nothing is mentioned in windows event journal (except unexpected shutdown). Its almost as if PC switches off videocard and monitor and all peripherals but doesn't reboot.

I've run several hdd tests (crystal disk info, hdd tune pro, acronis disk doctor, western digital hdd tool) and 2 of those (crystal disk and hdd tune pro) showed 1 bad sector in a non system drive while the other two showed healthy/fine disks. My system is on ssd drive which is healthy according to all 4 tests.

I've also tested RAM on memtest86 and it did not found any errors in one full pass though i realise that it might take several passes to show errors. I've also run driver verifier and checked all non system drivers but again did not get any issues.

Additionally i've encountered some other issues after updating to Windows 10 which might or might not be related to the issue above:

1) Videos in media players as well as in flash/youtube sometimes stutter. This never happened before and it seems to be related to higher CPU or disk usage, even though previously videos did not stutter even under load.

2) Some software like lcdhost, logitech gaming software, aida64 behaves strangely - sometimes applications hang, sometimes they do not load, sometimes they unload. I've actually had one BSOD related to AIDA64 which produced minidump but it seems to have been fixed with the beta release.

3)Windows event journal mentions some issues with winnit and service control manager/_session1.
    4)Nvidiabackend process keeps taking up to 40% of CPU power occasionally. Before updating to windows 10 i've never had that issue. Killing the process results in "nvidia geforce experience" not loading and then the process restarts anyway.

Im not sure what to do next since i've checked and tested just about anything.

:)

2. DColbyjr Win User

Black screen after windows login

After recent Update, Windows 10 goes through login sequence, then goes to black screen, which occasionally flashes icons at bottom. Occasionally will flash icons on desktop, then they disappear and back to black screen. Trying F8 or F12 on startup does
    not go to diagnostics menu.

DColbyjr, Aug 13, 2015
  3. Black Dots appears on screen

The thread which u provided is when windows hang but in my case it doesn't hang it works fine but as u see in first picture icons,taskbar are displayed

Kushal Bansal, Aug 13, 2015
  4. Boozad Win User

I've moved this to General for you as there are no BSODs to analyse.

Boozad, Aug 13, 2015
  5. CEL
    Cel Win User
    Actually there was a BSOD few hours ago but it also did not produce any dumps to analyze :/ I went away for a moment, came back and moved my mouse, got some weird distortions all over and it crashed. It looked like defragmentation service or startup menu optimization service was running while pc was idling as well.

I've tried running Furmark for an hour thinking it could be GPU but nothing happened. Then i run several tests (in acronis and windows) on all hd drives thinking it could be bad sectors but all came up negative.

I've also installed new nvidia drivers (used a software in safe mode to remove every bit of old drivers first) and unistalled geforce experience so nvidiabackend process went away.

I did not have all those issue before updating to Windows 10 so its probably just drivers and software but im testing hardware as well.

I would appreciate any suggestions on what to do next. Is there a software which makes automatic minidumps or keeps logs in case PC crashes?

6. Boozad Win User
    Boozad, Aug 13, 2015
  7. CEL
    Cel Win User
    I will be updating my hardware in a couple of weeks with Skylake cpu and motherboard so ill reserve clean install option for this in case ill get more bsods. It's just too much hassle to save and copy all my saves, applications and other info.

8. Boozad Win User

Don't forget if you're upgrading your harwdare that the activated W10 upgrade will no longer be activated.

Boozad, Aug 13, 2015
  9. CEL
    Cel Win User
    I've read the link above you gave me and it says that i can contact microsoft support about that? Also ill be keeping my videocard and hard drives.

10. Yeah just started to get this.

Nvidia 355.60 black screen after gaming for a bit, no errors to look up, just black screen and need to reset PC, nothing in error report that stands out apart from errors of me having to hard reset PC. (BF4 mostly but also GTA 5)

355.62 had display driver stopped working and some other errors. (almost all games at random times) had errors to look up.

355.30 has been the better one so far.

voodoochild2008, Aug 14, 2015
  11. CEL
    Cel Win User
    What you've described sounds exactly like my issue.

I've just updated to 355.60 myself and only played a bit. Didn't get that blacksreen but it's very random and might happen later. I've used 355.62 when i had those blacksreens and "stopped working" errors and some other errors as well.

When i updated to 355.60 i did not install geforce experience just to check out whether it was causing those issues.

I'll revert to 355.30 if i get blackscreen again.

But yeah - that black screen thingy never EVER happened before i updated to windows 10 and new nvidia drivers and it is very weird.

12. Was getting a good few display driver stopped issues with last one, but in report it said that, I had idea of error, but new driver shows nothing in errors, don't know where to begin.

Gone back to older ones and see how they fair today.

Very much a Nvidia not ready for Win 10 issue

13. Occasional black screen/hang which doesn't produce minidumps

Just happened with older driver, but screen goes like a cream colour not black.

14. CEL
    Cel Win User
    So far didn't happen with the latest driver 355.60.

You could try the same thing i did:

Remove everything related to nvidia in control panel -> programs and components. Download this:

Display Driver Uninstaller Download version 15.4.0.0

It will prompt to reboot in safe mode and delete everything related to nvidia.

Then install latest drivers without installing geforce experience.

Ill post if i get bsod and or black screen again.

15. CEL
    Cel Win User
    Well i've just encountered black screen again. Everything went unresponsive but pc continued to work in the background. So its not nvidia drivers or geforce experience. Might as well just do a fresh reinstall of windows 10.

Thema:

1. Occasional black screen/hang which doesn't produce minidumps - Similar Threads - Occasional black screen

2. Random Black Screens/Hangs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Random Black Screens/Hangs: HelloThe past few days my PC have been getting random black screens/ hangs forcing me to force restart my pc. It does not give any error message at all so I'm at a loss. This happens randomly when i'm idling on desktop or after closing an application.I have tried some cmd...
  3. Random Black Screens/Hangs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Random Black Screens/Hangs: HelloThe past few days my PC have been getting random black screens/ hangs forcing me to force restart my pc. It does not give any error message at all so I'm at a loss. This happens randomly when i'm idling on desktop or after closing an application.I have tried some cmd...
  4. Random Black Screens/Hangs

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Occasional black screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Occasional black screen: My pc will go black screen occasionally when gaming, i have used sfc and DISM to try to recover it but it still happens, device drivers are also up-to-date and i have reinstalled the Display card drivers for a few times. From the event viewer i can find this error coming up...
  6. Occasional black screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Occasional black screen: My pc will go black screen occasionally when gaming, i have used sfc and DISM to try to recover it but it still happens, device drivers are also up-to-date and i have reinstalled the Display card drivers for a few times. From the event viewer i can find this error coming up...
  7. Occasional Windows 10 hang

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Occasional Windows 10 hang: Hi there, I have a strange thing happening with my PC. When I am doing something or running microsoft edge, the whole PC becomes unresponsive, where the mouse can move for a while and start menu can be opened but nothing else. Then eventually the whole system freezes. I try...
  8. Black screen flashes twice occasionally

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black screen flashes twice occasionally: Momentary black screen, content reappears for 1/4 sec, another black screen and then display is normal. This happens on a regular cycle, about 10 or 15 minutes. Sometimes there is a soft audio "pop" sound....
  9. Screen occasionally goes black

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Screen occasionally goes black: Hello. The screen has gone black a few times within the past week. Monitor was bought used about 7 years ago. PC is 6 months old. No graphic intensive processing is occuring when the screen goes black. No message from monitor indicating no signal from PC. I have been hard...
  10. print screen key producing black images

in Windows 10 Customization
    print screen key producing black images: I have until the last few days used the print screen + fn key to capture screen shots v easily - now all I get is black images- any ideas how to correct this ?? Not aware of any software updates /changes tomy pc thanks...