Windows 10: Occasional BSOD / freeze

Discus and support Occasional BSOD / freeze in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hey guys. So, a little backstory - last month, I RMA'd my motherboard (MSI Z97S SLI Krait) and re-installed it. A couple of weeks later, I got... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by panmyxia, Jun 16, 2016.

1. panmyxia Win User

Occasional BSOD / freeze

Hey guys.

So, a little backstory - last month, I RMA'd my motherboard (MSI Z97S SLI Krait) and re-installed it. A couple of weeks later, I got random BSODs. There doesn't seem to be a definite pattern to them. Some are while I'm playing a game, some are while I'm just watching a video. Some days, I don't see one at all. The error I've seen mostly is IRQL_not_less_or_equal.

I'm thinking it's a driver issue, though I have no idea where to start looking. I tried using the Windows debugging tool, all I could find was "probably ntkrnlmp.exe".

Thanks in advance for any help.

:)

panmyxia, Jun 16, 2016
  2. ResnickRE Win User

UNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTION and CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED BSOD appears randomly

Occasionally when using the computer, it freezes, then the BSOD appears with the UEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTION or the CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED message.

Here are the files: Files

ResnickRE, Jun 16, 2016
  3. ResnickRE Win User
    UNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTION and CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED BSOD appears randomly

Occasionally when using the computer, it freezes, then the BSOD appears with the UEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTION or the CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED message. My computer also did not produce any dump files from the crash.

ResnickRE, Jun 16, 2016
  4. Ztruker Win User

Occasional BSOD / freeze

The 6/12 dump at 1:02AM indicates some problems with:

Code: *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for usbfilter.sys *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for usbfilter.sys *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for rtwlanu.sys *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for rtwlanu.sys Probably caused by : memory_corruption[/quote] usbfilter.sys dated Tue Aug 28 21:27:12 2012 belongs to AMD USB Filter Driver.
    rtwlanu.sys dated Thu Oct 01 02:13:28 2015 belongs to Realtek WLAN Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter.

Is the current mother board a MSI Z97S SLI Krait also?

Is the AMD USB on the motherboard?
    Is the Realtek a USB dongle?

Need to find updated drivers for both of these.

Ztruker, Jun 17, 2016
  5. panmyxia Win User
    Yes, that's my mobo. My WLAN adapter is a dongle. As for the AMD USB, I'm not too sure - my case has a few USB ports. Seems more likely to be on my mobo. I'll see what I can do about my wireless adapter's drivers.

Edit: Dunno anything about the AMD USB filter drivers. I honestly don't know where to look for them. As for the WLAN adapter, I found drivers for what I have, but they're from 2012. Device manager tells me that the drivers I have currently are from 2015.

panmyxia, Jun 17, 2016
  6. Ztruker Win User
    Ztruker, Jun 17, 2016
  7. panmyxia Win User
    All right, I found some LAN drivers for my mobo that are really recent, so I installed those. As for the USB filter - not sure where to install that. Device management lists probably every single USB port that I have.

Though I've gone three days without a BSOD, so fingers crossed that something I changed worked. I'll update if something goes wrong.

panmyxia, Jun 18, 2016
  8. Ztruker Win User

Occasional BSOD / freeze

Hoping Attachment 85887

Ztruker, Jun 18, 2016
  9. panmyxia Win User
    All right, well, finally got a new BSOD 4 days later. This time the error read "wpp system_service_exception", if I remember right.

The log collector isn't working right for me - it isn't producing a .zip file - so I'm just gonna include the most recent dump file in a .zip.

panmyxia, Jun 21, 2016
  10. Ztruker Win User
    The latest dump indicates WppRecorder.sys as the cause. This belongs to Microsoft so is unlikely to be the real cause.

In a couple instances of similar BSODs with WppRecorder.sys, the cause was the Anti-virus software, AVG. Looks like you have Avira so please uninstall it and use the built in Windows Defender (this is what I use) for now until we are done here. See if that makes any difference.

Also still indicating a problem with the Nvidia driver:
    Code: ffffd000`2097c118 fffff800`f5cf8ff1Unable to load image nvlddmkm.sys, Win32 error 0n2 *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nvlddmkm.sys *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for nvlddmkm.sys nvlddmkm+0x128ff1[/quote] I think it's time to run Driver Verifier:

Driver Verifier is a diagnostic tool built into Windows 10, it is designed to verify both native Microsoft drivers and third party drivers. Driver Verifier's verification process involves putting heavy stress on drivers with the intention of making bad, outdated, incompatible or misbehaving drivers fail. The required result is a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) which will generate a crash dump for debugging purposes.
    Machines exposed to Driver Verifier will run very sluggishly due to the stress being applied to the drivers.

Driver Verifier - Enable and Disable in Windows 10

Warning:
    It is not advised to run Driver Verifier for more than 48 hours at a time. Disable Driver Verifier after 48 hours or after receiving a BSOD, whichever happens soonest.

Always create a Restore Point prior to enabling Driver Verifier.

What we're looking for is a BSOD with a mini dump that will tell us what driver caused it.

Ztruker, Jun 21, 2016
  11. panmyxia Win User
    My system blue screened immediately once Windows started to load up. Here's the most recent dump.

panmyxia, Jun 21, 2016
  12. Ztruker Win User
    The latest indicates a problem with ScpVBus.sys:
    Code: Unable to load image ScpVBus.sys, Win32 error 0n2 *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for ScpVBus.sys *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for ScpVBus.sys Probably caused by : ScpVBus.sys ( ScpVBus+b174 )[/quote] Product: Scp Virtual Bus Driver
    Company: Scarlet.Crush Productions
    Description: Scp Virtual Bus Driver

Please run the following from a Elevated Command Prompt. Upload oemDrivers.txt and attach here. May have to zip it first, not sure.

pnputil -e > oemDdrivers.txt

Ztruker, Jun 21, 2016
  13. panmyxia Win User

Occasional BSOD / freeze

Hopefully I did this right.

panmyxia, Jun 22, 2016
  14. Ztruker Win User
    Yes, that was perfect. Unfortunately it had no trace of ScpVBus. it shows in drivers.txt with a 2013 date. I think it may haave something to with a Xbox controller but not sure.

Try running sfc /scannow from a Elevated Command Prompt. See if it gets any errors and if so what they are.

Ztruker, Jun 22, 2016
  15. panmyxia Win User
    "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations". So it says.

panmyxia, Jun 23, 2016
Thema:

Occasional BSOD / freeze

1. Occasional BSOD / freeze - Similar Threads - Occasional BSOD freeze

2. Occasional bsod

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Occasional bsod: I keep getting bsods specifically when i play games. No crash dumps ever get created and i have tried everything i have found online and nothing fixed it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/occasional-bsod/4243a57b-940f-4ca4-913c-9b028487b231
  3. Occasional BSOD

Occasional BSOD: Hi i keep getting occasional bsods recently it ranges between 2 to 3 days. I'm using a HP Laptop HP Notebook - 15-ay104nx I suspect its a driver issue. here are my pc specifications and my recent minidumps....
  4. Occasional PC freeze

in Windows 10 Support
    Occasional PC freeze: In the past 2 days my PC has frozen a couple of times each day. Brief system spec.: Windows 10 Pro V.1909 (Build 18363.900). Reverted from 2004 10 days ago, suspected Macrium Reflect problem (not the case) AV: Kaspersky Free Motherboard: Gigabyte P55-USB3 (Socket 1156) RAM:...
  5. Occasional BSOD

Occasional BSOD: Occasionally, when using my laptop an Acer Predator Helios 300 sometimes if it leans the wrong way or anything, it gets a blue screen of death, after which it doesn't automatically restart but needs a hard reboot and usually the computer starts with some difficulty getting...
  6. desktop occasionally freezes

desktop occasionally freezes: every now and then when im on my desktop, as i right click an icon to bring up the contextual menu it waits and waits and does nothing and so I have to resort to repeatedly clicking which causes the desktop to fade a light grey as any program does when its no longer...
  7. Windows occasionally crashes and computer occasionally freezes.

Windows occasionally crashes and computer occasionally freezes.: I have no idea where to start with this issue. All I know is that my computer will rarely crash and restart itself and when I go to check the reliability report in the action center, the only information it gives me is that "Windows shut down unexpectedly". I don't get a blue...
  8. Occasional crashes with more Freezing.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Occasional crashes with more Freezing.: I have bought a dell pc for just under 2 weeks ago (1-year warranty). It has frozen over 10 times and crashed 4 times. I have noticed that when it freezes, it does so when I either: switch between programs, open/close programs or wake up from sleep. (I think these are...
  9. Occasional freeze

Occasional freeze: I've just purchased and installed Windows 10 Home 64bit. The system is occasionally freezing. Not completely though as I can still move the cursor around on the screen. After a couple of minutes, the system resumes back to normal. Sometimes the system stops to a...
  10. Occasional Freezing While Gaming

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Occasional Freezing While Gaming: Hello, Right, I don't know what's going on anymore. I have just updated my BIOS to 0902 and I'm thinking this will resolve the issue. The issue is that I get occasional freezing during gaming. I have the latest Nvidia graphic's drivers (397.64), installed through "clean...