Windows 10: Occasional BSODs caused by atikmdag.sys

Discus and support Occasional BSODs caused by atikmdag.sys in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Great to hear! Happy to help *Smile Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by axe0, Apr 5, 2018.

1. axe0 New Member

Occasional BSODs caused by atikmdag.sys

Great to hear!

Happy to help *Smile

axe0, Apr 5, 2018
  2. Magnolia Win User

Hey there, I occasionally get a BSOD which happens fairly randomly, can happen a couple of times a day or once every few days. The error I get is SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED caused by atikmdag.exe

I have used the AMD Clean Uninstall utility to reinstall my graphics card drivers, updated my Windows and all that, but still get the BSODs.

:)

Magnolia, Apr 6, 2018
  3. BSOD - atikmdag.sys & Crtitical Structure Error

I installed Win10. I installed a game which kept causing a BSOD with atikmdag.sys. I fixed the issue by copying the atikmdag.sys DLL from ATI to System32 drivers folder. The game launched after that.

However, now the computer keeps crashing with Critical Structure Error BSOD, and the solutions for them suggests upgrading driver for ATI which again takes me back to the first issue.

KaustavChakraborty1982, Apr 6, 2018
  4. Occasional BSODs caused by atikmdag.sys

Driver IRQL Not Less Or Equal

I finally had a BSOD with a message pointing to ATIKMDAG.SYS as the reason for the BSOD. I was able to locate a bundle of drivers from HP and extracted a new ATIKMDAG.SYS and installed it on my system. I have been stable ever since.

DSchenk952, Apr 6, 2018
  5. axe0 New Member
    Occasional BSODs caused by atikmdag.sys [​IMG]
    Diagnostic test
    GPU TEST

Run Furmark tutorial

Note Run Furmark for around 30 minutes

Warning Your GPU temperatures will rise quickly while Furmark is running. Keep a keen eye on them and abort the test if temperatures rise too high
    When finished, make a photo/screenshot of Furmark and post it.

In Furmark you can find a tool called 'GPU-Z' (if you want to install GPU-Z is up to you), when GPU-Z is open click on the 'Sensors' tab, on this tab you can monitor
    • the frequency of the GPU,
    • the GPU memory clock,
    • the temperature,
    • the power,
    • the load on the GPU,
    • Etc.
    I would like you to make a screenshot of GPU-Z after you have either cancelled Furmark for any reason or Furmark is finished, post this screenshot in your next reply with the result of Furmark.

axe0, Apr 8, 2018
  6. Magnolia Win User
    Magnolia, Apr 8, 2018
  7. axe0 New Member
    Have you reinstalled the same drivers or have you installed different drivers?

axe0, Apr 9, 2018
  8. Magnolia Win User

I reinstalled the same drivers as I wasn't sure what driver version I wasn't getting these BSODs on.

Magnolia, Apr 9, 2018
  9. axe0 New Member
    Could you try an older driver, or newer driver instead of the same.

10. Magnolia Win User
    I clean installed the latest drivers, and just had a couple of BSODs with the same error.

Magnolia, Apr 15, 2018
  11. axe0 New Member
    Please do the following 2 things:
    • Reseat or seat the GPU in a different slot
    • Run a memory test

Diagnostic Test
    RAM TEST

Run MemTest86+ - Test RAM - Windows 10 Forums

Note

MemTest86+ needs to be run for at least 8 complete passes for conclusive results. Set it running before you go to bed and leave it overnight. We're looking for zero errors here. Even a single error will indicate RAM failure.

Make a photo of the result and post it.

Addition:
    If errors show up you can stop the test, remove all sticks but 1 and test this single stick in each slot for 8 passes or until errors show, switch sticks and repeat.
    If errors show up and you see them a lot later, no problem, the errors don't affect the test.

12. Magnolia Win User
    I have reseated my graphics card + RAM, whilst I was at it I thoroughly cleaned my graphics card heat sink as it was incredibly dusty. If I get another BSOD today I will run MemTest whilst I am asleep, although hopefully it was the graphics card that was the problem.

Thanks for the help!

Magnolia, Apr 16, 2018
Thema:

1. Occasional BSODs caused by atikmdag.sys - Similar Threads - Occasional BSODs caused

2. BSOD caused by watchdog.sys and dxgmms2.sys

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD caused by watchdog.sys and dxgmms2.sys: Greetings, fellow Windows users!Yesterday, my computer had its BSOD while I'm using Adobe Premiere which was apparently caused by watchdog.sys and dxgmms2.sys.Here is a link to the dmp file: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmT-xQXftxFWgiKU88vH7tRulzda?e=33kqdQThanks for any further help...
  3. BSOD caused by dxgmms2.sys and watchdog.sys

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD caused by dxgmms2.sys and watchdog.sys: I've tried reverting graphics drivers, windows updates, updating BIOS, resetting windows and other recommended methods such as chkdsk and DISM. I would like some confirmation on my issue being potentially video card related. Another pair of eyes/insight is the goal of this...
  4. Occasional BSOD - No obvious cause

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Occasional BSOD - No obvious cause: They are rare but seemingly at random, if that makes any sense. I can go a week or longer without one, and it doesn't appear to be dependent on system load. In fact, the last couple times I was just watching YouTube, if memory serves. Meanwhile, I can do heavy gaming for...
  5. Occasional BSOD with various causes shown

Occasional BSOD with various causes shown: Hi, I am getting occasional BSOD, mainly with large down or uploads on my Lenovo T480 running Windows 10 Pro, 20H2, build 19042.804. Here are some screen grabs: [img] [img] [img] [img] These images and the V2 files can be found here: Microsoft OneDrive - Access files...
  6. BSOD caused by netwtw10.sys

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    BSOD caused by netwtw10.sys: From a couple of days ago my machine has been frequently BSOD and showing the error to be caused by netwtw10.sys. I have attempted to reinstall network drivers, reset machine with content, reset to factory and the issue has persisted through all the changes I made. In...
  7. QCAMAIN1.SYS CAUSING BSOD

QCAMAIN1.SYS CAUSING BSOD: This was probably caused by the following module: qcamain1.sys Qcamain10x64+0x108678 Bugcheck code: 0x1D3 0x333, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0 Error: CUSTOM_ERROR A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for...
  8. BSOD caused by Dot4.sys

BSOD caused by Dot4.sys: I have a BSOD problem caused by Dot4.sys very often but I have no idea what is causing it. SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION Dot4.sys+e23f IEEE-1284.4-1999 Driver Windows (R) Win 7 DDK driver Windows (R) Win 7 DDK provider 6.1.7600.16385 built by: WinDDK x64 ntoskrnl.exe+1aab90
  9. BSOD caused by QCamain10x64.sys and IntelHaxm.sys

BSOD caused by QCamain10x64.sys and IntelHaxm.sys: My laptop crashed with STOP code DEVICE_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, stating that QCamain10x64.sys had failed, which according to Google, is the driver of my laptop's wireless adapter. Just to make sure before attempting to reinstall the driver via device manager, I saw this wiki...
  10. BSOD (atikmdag+0x48999) in minidump

BSOD (atikmdag+0x48999) in minidump: New Win10 10.0.16299 Build 16299 Samsung MXHPV256HDGL-0000 M.2 system drive Asrock X99 -11 Extreme i7-5930K Saphire Radeon R9 295-X2 with AMD 22.19.677.257 driver This is a dual GPU card Running ServeRaid M5210 SAS raid with 2 arrays 8 rotational disks total Dual EVGA...
Tags: