Windows 10: Occasional high CPU usage on Windows 10

Discus and support Occasional high CPU usage on Windows 10 in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi, I have recently noticed a bit of a performance issue on my HP laptop running Windows 10 Home. What happens is, if I am not doing anything on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by spotify95, Feb 9, 2016.

1. spotify95 Win User

Occasional high CPU usage on Windows 10

Hi,

I have recently noticed a bit of a performance issue on my HP laptop running Windows 10 Home.

What happens is, if I am not doing anything on the laptop, but am not putting it to sleep (i.e. idling), it stays at a low CPU usage. However, after a while (usually about a minute?), the CPU usage rockets up, and also affects my CPU temperatures (goes up from ~35'C to ~50'C).

The processes that are the culprit, as defined by the detailed tab of Task manager, are either "svchost.exe" or "System" - the latter is described as "NT Kernel and System" and is linked to ntoskrnl.exe.

Any way of controlling this would be greatly appreciated.

Note: the laptop came preinstalled with Windows 10 and doesn't have many programs installed.

:)

spotify95, Feb 9, 2016
  2. Роман Горячкин, Feb 9, 2016
  3. Rohn007 Win User
    Massive boot drive activity since Windows 10 upgrade

It's a known "Feature" (aka BUG) in recent builds of Windows. Here are some things to try to fix it:

2018 01 04- 6 WAYS TO FIX WINDOWS 10 HIGH CPU USAGE AFTER CU OR FCU – 100% DISK 100% CPU

https://www.drivethelife.com/windows-10/windows...

READ MORE – 100% HIGH CPU / RAM / FAN

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/stop-whats-rev...

Top 10 Ways to Fix High CPU/RAM/Memory Usage after Windows 10 Update
    https://www.drivethelife.com/windows-10/fix-hig...

Fix Windows 10 High Memory Usage/Leak after the Creators Update
    https://www.drivethelife.com/windows-10/fix-hig...

Fix WMI Provider Host High CPU Usage after Windows 10 Creators Update
    https://www.drivethelife.com/windows-10/wmi-pro...

Fix Computer Fan Noise Due to High CPU Usage on Windows 10
    https://www.drivethelife.com/windows-10/fix-com...

Rohn007, Feb 9, 2016
  4. b1rd Win User

b1rd, Feb 9, 2016
  5. spotify95 Win User
    Hi, thanks for the informaion.

I have just set McAfee to do a scan of the computer and I'll see what that brings up.

Failing that, I'll look at drivers, then Runtime Broker. I think that the Windows 10 tips thing still comes up, which I don't really need. I doubt it's the drivers though, because all of the drivers for the machine are installed and Windows Update updates any drivers when required.

Note: this only happens about 1 minute or so after my activity, i.e. it is idling. I have noticed that, the instant this happens, the CPU spikes to 100% (with svchost using some CPU as well) before settling to 25% usage; the culprit being "System".

edit: McAfee has scanned my "C:" drive (Windows 10) without any issues. It's scanned drive F:\ (my windows 7 partition, this is dual boot) and found 1 potentially unwanted program, which I will discuss tomorrow. Driver Booster (from IoBit) has found outdated drivers, which I will install.

spotify95, Feb 9, 2016
  6. b1rd Win User
    Another semi-long shot might be one of the Start-Up programs. I did see that you don't have many programs installed, but it might be worth a look anyhow, as something is working your processor.

If you're unfamiliar, right-click the taskbar and bring up the Task Manger. Hit the Start up tab. Those are the programs that load when Windows starts. You can disable one at a time by right-clicking them (make sure it's actually off) and check things.

Again a long shot, but sometimes some programs can cause conflicts. I would specifically look at any security software you have running, and test it without the software running. You can always active Windows Defender if you're concerned about the temporary lack of security if you decide to try this.

Also, perhaps take a quick peek at the Reliability Monitor/History and see if anything jumps out.

7. AnEdge Win User
    Hey Spotify, HP owner here and what I did was uninstall most of the HP stuff, especially the support assistant and HP framework (do it from programs and features). Update the graphics driver. Let the system find and install the correct driver from intel. Every single problem I had, including high cpu disappeared. Have been running 2 months now flawlessly.

AnEdge, Feb 10, 2016
  8. spotify95 Win User

Update: I tried turning off the notifications about help with Windows 10 (the 3rd thing in the original article), result? No improvement!

Anything else to try before I try the Startup programs? (I will post a screenshot of my start up programs on that machine, that way you can help to see what is the problem.) Don't think it's McAfee causing the issue.

spotify95, Feb 10, 2016
  9. spotify95 Win User
    Hi,

I have updated all of the outdated drivers via IOBit Driver Booster. No improvement, but I do have nice new drivers *Smile

HP Support Assistant is installed on a windows 8.1 laptop which doesn't have this issue, and it is also on the Windows 7 partition of this laptop, also without issue.

Maybe the HP Framework is to blame?

spotify95, Feb 10, 2016
  10. spotify95 Win User
    Hi guys,

The issue is still present (it is fine on my windows 7 partition) - any ideas?

Thanks

spotify95, Feb 16, 2016
  11. b1rd Win User
    Another option might be to see how things run while in Safemode. If things are fine there, then that would seem to point to one of your programs.

Did you ever try disabling any of the start-ups to see if it's any of those? (Right-click the Taskbar > Task Manager > Start-ups tab)

In essence, you would have to disable each start-up, one at a time and then test. If the problem is still there, then re-enable it and move down to the next one. These can be disabled and re-enabled by right-clicking each entry. Perhaps try Safemode and see if that changes anything first.

12. dalchina New Member
    Hi, Could you post a screenshot of your task manager showing high CPU case with highest usage processes topmost please?

Win 10 will most likely restore the driver versions pretty quickly to what Uncle MS deems good for you, unless you take special action. That applies to driver versions which are older or newer than Windows believes appropriate.

It's not worth using driver scan utilities in Win 10, except for drivers for hardware you can't find not maintained by Win 10, or except to solve exceptional problems, in which case you need to take action to stop Windows replacing the driver.

dalchina, Feb 17, 2016
  13. spotify95 Win User

Hi guys,

Thank you for the responses. I will have a look when I next boot up the windows 10 laptop *Smile

I'll first go to safe mode and have a look, assuming that core temp and task manager will work in safe mode.

If its fine in safe mode then I shall start by looking at the startup tab. Remember though that this only happens during idle mode, as soon as you actually do something, all is fine, until it idles again.

spotify95, Feb 18, 2016
  14. spotify95 Win User
    Occasional high CPU usage on Windows 10 [​IMG]

Above is a photo of the Task Manager (processes running) whilst the weird thing about CPU usage is taking place (this only happens when idle).

The "System" process shouldn't be taking 26% of CPU, should it *Sad

Hope that helps!

edit: By the way, if someone could show me how to access safe mode in windows 10, it'd be appreciated. I know that usually, its a case of pressing F8 before Windows loads. However, Windows 10 doesn't have the option before it starts loading (I think?), and this machine is a dual boot machine, so the first thing you have to do is select which OS to use (in my case, Windows 7 or Windows 10).

spotify95, Feb 19, 2016
  15. dalchina New Member
    Safe Mode: try Shift Restart and then follow the prompts.
    4 Ways To Boot Into Safe Mode In Windows 10
    Safe Mode - Start Windows 10 in - Windows 10 Forums

You can also add safe mode to your boot options- see Tutorials.
    (Could be attractive as you already have a legacy boot menu)

Don't know the implications of dual boot for the above for sure.

It looks like it's installing sthg and Macafee is scanning... so sthg's going on.
    (Screen shots are much clearer to read- Win 10 still has the Snipping tool - type snip in the search box)

dalchina, Feb 19, 2016
Thema:

1. Occasional high CPU usage on Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Occasional high CPU

2. CPU usage is high

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CPU usage is high: My CPU usage is 50% and sometimes higher and the only thing I have opened is Google Chrome. Presentational font cache exe is using most of it and Chrome is using 10-15%. Memory usage is 60% and Chrome is using most of that. 960 mb What can I do to fix this?...
  3. Windows 10 high CPU usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 high CPU usage: Guys can you all help me with this problem this is so annoyingMy pc was just running normally like everyday but from last night,it became lag and when i check,i see the CPU in task manager is always in 80-100% and its so lag not gonna lie.I tried s o many solutions from...
  4. High CPU usage

High CPU usage: I have constant ongoing high CPU usage . One of the causes is a non Windows app I'm trying to rectify. The other 3 are all Windows based; WMI provider host, Antimalware Service and Services and Controller App....
  5. High cpu usage

High cpu usage: Hi guys, I have a weird problem and I can't fix it. After changing some settings in Comand Promt my computer started behaving weird. My cpu usage is high and very unstable, for no reason. In the task manager there is nothing that should cause high cpu usage, there are no...
  6. High CPU usage in windows 10

High CPU usage in windows 10: Hi, we face an issue in windows 10, the CPU usage is very high. we try DISM command, Registry Editor, Disable superfetch, update drivers and disable windows search services but the issue still happen. what have you done so far to resolve the issue?...
  7. High CPU usage in Windows 10.

High CPU usage in Windows 10.: Hi All, From last few days I am facing Hight CPU usage, Windows explorer is taking more than 45% of CPU. and Nahimic taking 30%. PC Details : Asus ROG GL405GM Intel i7 8750 NVidia GForece 1060 GPU. Please help, how to resolve this issue. ***Modified title from:...
  8. Windows 10 high CPU Usage

Windows 10 high CPU Usage: I custom built my PC back in 2010 and it ran perfectly fine on Windows 7. Then ever since I installed windows 10, my CPU usage has been maxing out at 100% frequently. The simplest operation (opening Microsoft edge or even opening task manager) will cause max CPU usage. My CPU...
  9. High CPU & Ram usage - occasional BSOD

High CPU & Ram usage - occasional BSOD: I upgraded to Windows 10 near the beginning, no big issues. Problem started about a week back. I came home to a BSOD. The computer also hangs and restarts more often now. Ram usage is extremely high. I have 16GBs but usually only 50% is used, even with 40+ chrome tab...
  10. Windows 10 HIGH CPU Usage

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 HIGH CPU Usage: I have done a clean install of Windows 10 Pro 64 bit and after my computer is on for about an hour or so a process in the task manager called "system and compressed memory" takes about 25-30% of my cpu cycles for no reason.It doesn't use much ram at all.Just cpu cycles.That...