Windows 10: Shrink Volume or Partition in Windows 10

Discus and support Shrink Volume or Partition in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Shrink Volume or Partition in Windows 10 How to Shrink a Volume or Partition in Windows 10 [img] Information In Windows, you can... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Cluster Head, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Shrink Volume or Partition in Windows 10

How to: Shrink Volume or Partition in Windows 10

How to Shrink a Volume or Partition in Windows 10

Shrink Volume or Partition in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information In Windows, you can decrease the space used by primary partitions and logical drives by shrinking them into adjacent, contiguous unallocated space on the same disk. This unallocated space could then be used to create a new simple volume (partition) on the disk.

This tutorial will show you different ways on how to shrink a volume or partition on a basic disk in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to shrink a volume or partition.

Tip How to Read Shrink Volume Log in Event Viewer in Windows 10

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Shrink Volume or Partition on Disk in Disk Management
    • Option Two: Shrink Volume or Partition on Disk in Command Prompt
    • Option Three: Shrink Volume or Partition on Disk in PowerShell

OPTION ONE [/i] Shrink Volume or Partition on Disk in Disk Management
    1. Right click on the Start *Start button to open the Win+X menu, and click/tap on Disk Management (diskmgmt.msc).

2. Right click or press and hold on the partition/volume (ex: "D") you want to shrink, and click/tap on Shrink Volume. (see screenshot below)

Note If Shrink Volume is grayed out, then it is not supported for the partition/volume.

3. Type in how many MB you want to shrink the partition/volume by, and click/tap on Shrink. (see screenshot below)

Note You can compare the given Size of available shrink and Total size after shrink to help determine the amount of space you want to shrink this partition/volume by.

You can only shrink a partition/volume if it has enough free space.

1024 MB = 1 Gb
    1024 GB = 1 TB

4. If successful, you can now create a New Simple Volume with the Unallocated space if you like. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO [/i] Shrink Volume or Partition on Disk in Command Prompt
    1. Open an command prompt at boot.

2. Type the commands below one at a time into the command prompt, and press Enter after each command. Make note of the volume number (ex: "4") of the drive letter (ex: "D") you want to shrink. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow diskpart

*Arrow list volume

3. Type the commands below one at a time into the command prompt, and press Enter after each command. Make note of the maximum number of reclaimable bytes (ex: "1427659" MB) that you can shrink by. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow select volume <number>

*Arrow shrink querymax

Note Substitute <number> in the top command above with the actual volume number (ex: "4") you want to shrink from step 2 above.

For example: select volume 4

4. Type the command below you want to use into the command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    (To shrink by maximum size allowed)
    *Arrow shrink

OR

(To shrink by specified size)
    *Arrow shrink desired=<size in MB>

Note Substitute <size in MB> in the command above with the actual size in MB (ex: "71680") you want to shrink the partition/volume (ex: "D") by. You will not be able to shrink the partition/volume more than the maximum number of reclaimable bytes given from step 3 above.

1024 MB = 1 Gb
    1024 GB = 1 TB

For example: shrink desired=71680

5. When finished, you can close the elevated command prompt, or create a New Simple Volume with the unallocated space if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] Shrink Volume or Partition on Disk in PowerShell

Note To see more usage options for the Resize-Partition command, see: Resize-Partition - Microsoft Docs

1. Open an elevated PowerShell.

2. Type the Get-Partition command into the elevated PowerShell, press Enter, and make note of the drive letter (ex: "D") of the partition/volume you want to shrink on a disk. (see screenshot below)

3. Type the command below into the elevated PowerShell, and press Enter. Make note of the supported SizeMin (minimum size) and SizeMax (maximum size) in bytes to resize the partition/volume. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Get-PartitionSupportedSize -DriveLetter <Drive Letter>

Note Substitute <Drive Letter> in the command above with the actual drive letter (ex: "D") you want to resize from step 2 above.

For example: Get-PartitionSupportedSize -DriveLetter D

4. Type the command below you want to use into the elevated PowerShell, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    (To shrink by size in Bytes)
    *Arrow Resize-Partition -DriveLetter "<Drive Letter>" -Size <Size>

OR

(To shrink by size in KB)
    *Arrow Resize-Partition -DriveLetter "<Drive Letter>" -Size <Size>KB

OR

(To shrink by size in MB)
    *Arrow Resize-Partition -DriveLetter "<Drive Letter>" -Size <Size>MB

OR

(To shrink by size in GB)
    *Arrow Resize-Partition -DriveLetter "<Drive Letter>" -Size <Size>GB

OR

(To shrink by size in TB)
    *Arrow Resize-Partition -DriveLetter "<Drive Letter>" -Size <Size>TB

Note Substitute <Drive Letter> in the command above with the actual drive letter (ex: "D") you want to resize from step 2 above.

Substitute <Size> in the command above with the actual size (ex: "1327" in GB) you want to resize the partition/volume (ex: "D") by. You will not be able to resize the partition/volume more than the supported SizeMin (minimum size) and SizeMax (maximum size) given from step 3 above.

The left over space (SizeMax-resize) after resizing the partition/volume will be how much you shrink the partition/volume by for the unallocated space.

1000 Bytes = 1 KB
    1024 KB = 1 MB
    1024 MB = 1 Gb
    1024 GB = 1 TB

For example: Resize-Partition -DriveLetter "D" -Size 1327GB

5. When finished, you can close the elevated PowerShell, or create a New Simple Volume with the unallocated space if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Cluster Head, Oct 26, 2015

2. undo partition shrink

Hi,

If you accidentally shrink the volume of your SSD partition, there is an option to extend the volume as well. To extend the volume of your SSD partition, follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X on your keyboard and select Disk Management.
    • Right-click the partition that you want to expand and click Extend Volume.
    • Select the amount of space that you want to extend.

Keep us in the loop with the result.

Gerard Qui, Oct 26, 2019
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Shrinking a volume

Hi tfd3

Close Disk Management

Click your Start Button, then just type cmd

From the resulting list, right click Command Prompt and choose 'Run as Administrator'

Paste this command and hit Enter:

diskpart

Paste this command and hit Enter:

list volume

(note down the number of the Volume you intend to shrink)

Paste this command and hit Enter (replace x with correct volume number)

select volume x

extend filesystem

When that completes, close Command Prompt and try shrinking that partition again in Disk Management

DaveM121, Oct 26, 2019
  4. tfd3 Win User

Shrink Volume or Partition in Windows 10

Shrinking a volume

Hi, Dave. I followed your instructions. All seemed to go well, but Disk Management still reports "The parameter is incorrect" when I try to shrink the volume.

Tom ()

--------------------------------

5. Need help shrinking a volume

It's not because of the RAID. You are trying to shrink the system partition. Get yourself Acronis Disk Manager (or any other disk management software) and try with it. Windows (XP or Vista) won't allow you to change the volume of the system partition with it's inbuilt tools.

Grasshopper, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Riel Alc Win User
    No option to shrink volume

Hi,

The OEM partition is a company created partition wherein the copy of your Windows and other software are stored. In the event you need to reinstall your Operating System or restore to factory settings, you don't have to use an installation disk. You may
    delete the OEM partition if you don't plan to restore your device to factory settings anymore. However, we suggest leaving it as is.

The Primary partition is also the same with OEM partition. The only difference is we create it during Windows fresh installation.

You have two ways to create a partition:

• Clean Install Windows 10
    • You may use 3rd party software to manage your disk partition without reinstalling your Windows.

Let us know if you have other concerns.

Riel Alc, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

Shrink Volume or Partition in Windows 10

1. Shrink Volume or Partition in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Shrink Volume Partition

2. Shrink D Partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shrink D Partition: Hello, I am facing a problem with C disk. It has not enough space for my applications and I want to get some GB from D partition which it contains Page files and it is a Basic Data Partition. I have read many articles on the internet for this subject. A possible solution is...
  3. Unable to shrink a partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to shrink a partition: I have a new SSD and am trying to install Windows Home from a USB drive. I can see in Disk Management several partitions that Windows created, but Windows fails to install due to error 0x8007025D. One suggestion from Microsoft is to reduce the partition to 125GB currently...
  4. Problem shrinking Windows partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Problem shrinking Windows partition: Hello, I have Windows (ver. 2004, build 19041.630) installed on an M.2 1TB SSD drive, and I want to copy and run it from a SATA 0.5TB SSD. So I'm trying to shrink the main windows partition (951GB total, 160GB used), but disk manager says it can't shrink below 487GB, which...
  5. volume shrink help

in Windows 10 Customization
    volume shrink help: i bought new laptop with win 10 it has SSD 521gb but it has only one drive which is c: which has windows how can i make other drives d and e out of it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/volume-shrink-help/3cc44158-3f66-4958-8528-aebf20296719
  6. cant shrink volume

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    cant shrink volume: got a dual boot system with ubuntu, want to shrink volume so i can give ubuntu more space but cant(despite having 200gb space). tried using 3rd party software but they all require a lisence. is there any way to fix this problem without paying for 3rd party software?...
  7. Shrinking a volume

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Shrinking a volume: I'm having trouble trying to shrink a volume on an external hard drive. The Disk Management dialog window asks for the number of megabytes I want to reduce. Every time I try a number I get a "wrong perameter" error. Why?...
  8. Unable to Shrink Volume

Unable to Shrink Volume: Just got an ASUS laptop. In Disk Management I want to shrink C: a small amount and use the partition for my data. But, regardless of what value I put in Enter the amount of space to shrink in MB I get The parameter is incorrect The size that is available to shrink is 45032...
  9. How to shrink a partition in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    How to shrink a partition in Windows 10: Warning: It’s always better to backup your important data before resizing your partitions. I- Why would I ever need to resize a drive? Well, I’ll start with our famous problem: Drive C: doesn’t have enough space for Windows updates, programs, downloads …etc. Therefore, we...
  10. shrinking volume with OS on it

shrinking volume with OS on it: Howdy, I've inherited a desktop with Windows 10 installed on a 1TB, single partition drive. For better or worse I belong to the "partitions" school, and would like to partition this physical drive into 2 or maybe even 3 logical partitions. From what I've found thus...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. show me how to shrink new volume in windows step by step