Windows 10: Odd Disconnections

Discus and support Odd Disconnections in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; For the past few months I have been having odd disconnections where there appears to be no pattern or cause to it. Some days I can go without... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by swarfega, Nov 27, 2016.

1. swarfega Win User

Odd Disconnections

For the past few months I have been having odd disconnections where there appears to be no pattern or cause to it.

Some days I can go without getting a single disconnection while other days I can get them every minute for a while. Sometimes the computer will regain connection just afterwards while other times it can take 30 seconds to recover or I have to re-plug my powerline adapter.

I have tried various diagnostics like changing the powerline adapter to another plug or another wall socket. I have tried changing cables from cat 6 to 5. I have swapped between my onboard nic connector and a dedicated nic card with the same result. I have even got an electrician out to swap out the wall socket's face plate.

I am beginning to think that it is the motherboard at the route of all this and some aspect of it is on its way out.

I am currently saving for a new computer (because of this issue) but I would like to resolve it. I do understand though that some problems can't be resolved and the only solution is new hardware.

This is the second time I've had to write this post due to a disconnection.

:)

swarfega, Nov 27, 2016

2. E90 and Packet Data - menu item vanishes!

I can sort of accept temporary disconnections now and again - but this disconnects and STAYS that way, until I restart the phone... in the meantime, my other E90 stays connected.... odd.

sarastro---01, Nov 27, 2016
  3. wnwek Win User
    Messages app keeps getting disconnected from FB chat - "Can't connect to chat" - Detailed Bug Report

To update: It hasn't really solved the problem. I am still facing the odd being disconnected. Being partially disconnected / connected doesn't work for me, because somehow Messenger doesn't retrieve messages which had been sent when one is disconnected or
    sends out messages which couldn't be sent.

wnwek, Nov 27, 2016
  4. fdegrove Win User

Odd Disconnections

Hi,

I doubt it's any of the above and not the MB either.
    Could you have your provider check your connection ?

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Nov 27, 2016
  5. swarfega Win User
    Thing is that none of the other computers in the house have this problem. I check them while I'm disconnected.

swarfega, Nov 27, 2016
  6. linw Win User
    Sounds like a tricky one.

Long shot, but under Device Manager, check under Power Management that the "Allow the comp to turn off this device...." is unchecked.

7. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

OK. That rules out the network provider.
    I suspect it's either a NIC driver problem or a network protocol problem. What's odd is that you have this problem on both onboard NIC and NIC card.
    So I suspect it's a configuration problem on both.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Nov 27, 2016
  8. swarfega Win User

Odd Disconnections

What aspects would be common to both of them?

I've just updated the driver to the nic card going from version 9 to 10 (published this year) but it still disconnects.

swarfega, Nov 27, 2016
  9. linw Win User
    Did you check the power management? The default setting would probably be common to both. Only takes a second to check.

10. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

You beat me to that one.... *Smile

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Nov 27, 2016
  11. swarfega Win User
    Yes I've disabled the power management on the nic card.

EDIT: I've just switched from 1gb full duplex to 100mb full duplex testing to see if it gets overloaded.

swarfega, Nov 27, 2016
  12. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Can you set it to half duplex ?
    Either 100Mb or 1Gb, doesn't matter.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Nov 27, 2016
  13. swarfega Win User

Odd Disconnections

ok since theres no half duplex at 1gb I've switched to 100mb half duplex.

I'm not sure what the difference is between full and half duplex.

What can I do to satisfy the 1gb full duplex? I already use cat 6 cables between here and the router with all the powerline adapters being TP-Link 1200s with gigabit ports.

swarfega, Nov 27, 2016
  14. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

I'll explain later.
    Just trying to get it to work. After that we can see if we can get it to work at full duplex too.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Nov 27, 2016
  15. linw Win User
    Half v Full. One difference, it will be mighty slow!!

Thema:

Odd Disconnections

1. Odd Disconnections - Similar Threads - Odd Disconnections

2. "Spikes" of battery capacity for some odd reason?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Spikes" of battery capacity for some odd reason?: 42,094 is the design capacity of this laptop as it usually should be... however I been noticing this.Why is the capacity reaching as two-hundred thousand?! what's going on here? in my room I have a bunch of room fans plugged in and sometimes when they unplug I can hear a...
  3. "Spikes" of battery capacity for some odd reason?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Spikes" of battery capacity for some odd reason?: 42,094 is the design capacity of this laptop as it usually should be... however I been noticing this.Why is the capacity reaching as two-hundred thousand?! what's going on here? in my room I have a bunch of room fans plugged in and sometimes when they unplug I can hear a...
  4. "Spikes" of battery capacity for some odd reason?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Very odd behavior of Microsoft Phone Link while App is active on phone and computer and...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Very odd behavior of Microsoft Phone Link while App is active on phone and computer and...: This is very peculiar. Perhaps someone else has observed this behavior. Here is the scenario. I am running Windows 10 on my PC and latest version of Android on my Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra. I am working on a spreadsheet Excel from Office 2019. I am performing many cuts/copies...
  6. Very odd behavior of Microsoft Phone Link while App is active on phone and computer and...

Very odd behavior of Microsoft Phone Link while App is active on phone and computer and...: This is very peculiar. Perhaps someone else has observed this behavior. Here is the scenario. I am running Windows 10 on my PC and latest version of Android on my Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra. I am working on a spreadsheet Excel from Office 2019. I am performing many cuts/copies...
  7. Windows 10 - User selection bug - odd question

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 - User selection bug - odd question: I need help. I am experiencing the windows 10 bug where my user selection at the login screen isn't present. The only account it will bring up is my sons account, which is corrupt. Where it get's sticky is that I can find a way to bring up a login to get into my admin...
  8. Windows 10 - User selection bug - odd question

Windows 10 - User selection bug - odd question: I need help. I am experiencing the windows 10 bug where my user selection at the login screen isn't present. The only account it will bring up is my sons account, which is corrupt. Where it get's sticky is that I can find a way to bring up a login to get into my admin...
  9. Windows 10 - User selection bug - odd question

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  10. Very odd internet disconnects

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Very odd internet disconnects: Hello everyone and thanks in advance. I am having an issue with my Ethernet internet connection dropping (Windows 10) if i open any game applications that require internet connection. IE, Joining a server, Sitting in a server list waiting for a spot, Leaving a server and...