Windows 10: odd folder added that I cannot delete

Discus and support odd folder added that I cannot delete in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Greetings Probably after last upgrade to ver.1703 an odd folder was added that I cannot delete. here's the structure: d:\SoftwareDistribution... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by zivshosh, Oct 3, 2017.

1. zivshosh Win User

odd folder added that I cannot delete

Greetings
    Probably after last upgrade to ver.1703 an odd folder was added that I cannot delete.
    here's the structure:
    d:\SoftwareDistribution
    d:\SoftwareDistribution\DeliveryOptimization
    d:\SoftwareDistribution\DeliveryOptimization\6554fb647215e690faab042a37aa9a6724992bf5
    d:\SoftwareDistribution\DeliveryOptimization\ca217f22ae58c78f9490e63c83b619c89df9d4e4
    d:\SoftwareDistribution\DeliveryOptimization\6554fb647215e690faab042a37aa9a6724992bf5\7142EBB051E3AE 2D18A4C0C0ED35A0CEECBBC46F8A2D7D7CDBD26E32B496898E
    d:\SoftwareDistribution\DeliveryOptimization\ca217f22ae58c78f9490e63c83b619c89df9d4e4\CAA986CADFAA93 4DC2076FA7A74036C31461B0D37579E2F6E797A4E79A6373CB

How can I get rid of it?
    thank you

:)

zivshosh, Oct 3, 2017

2. Cannot delete folder that I am an owner of AND I am an administrator on windows 10

If you are the owner of the machine, it doesn't mean you are the owner of the folder.

https://www.askvg.com/guide-how-to-take-ownersh...

Sumit Dhiman2, Oct 3, 2017
  3. Cannot delete folder that I am an owner of AND I am an administrator on windows 10

The folder might be in use. I would try deleting it in Safe Mode:

Log out and go to the sign in screen.

Hold down the shift key on your keyboard while clicking the Power button on the screen.

Continue to hold down the shift key while clicking Restart.

Continue to hold down the shift key until the Advanced Recovery Options menu appears.

Click Troubleshoot

Click Advanced options

Click Startup Settings

Click Restart

Press (4) to Enable Safe Mode

Wait while Windows 10 starts in safe mode.

Try deleting the folder again.

Andre Da Costa, Oct 3, 2017
  4. hawkman Win User

Hi Zovshosh,

Its not ODD, its part of the new MS updating process, UUP.
    Even if you are able to remove it, NOT recommended, i suspect either
    ALL of your future upgrades will fail
    or it will be re-created during the next CU update.

The data in them can be deleted, its now part of the inbuilt Disk clean-up tool.

Roy

hawkman, Oct 3, 2017
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Oct 3, 2017
  6. zivshosh Win User
    thank you for your quick answer
    OK, I won't delete this folder.
    I couldn't anyway. I used "take ownership", added myself to security with full control and nothing helped. Not even the files inside.
    It does not appear in disk cleanup.
    I called this folder odd since it appeared in D which is not my system drive, it is not system/read only/hidden and I didn't find any counterpart in drive C.
    Finally I didn't find any trace in the registry.
    I hope I'll be able to receive future updates now that the random titled files are deleted
    d:\SoftwareDistribution and the inner DeliveryOptimization are still there.

'

zivshosh, Oct 3, 2017
  7. hawkman Win User
    Hi Zivshosh,

Missed that you said it was on D.

Thats most unusuall, it should be as you said on the system partition.

Have you recieved any updates???

Roy

hawkman, Oct 3, 2017
  8. zivshosh Win User

tried Settings --> Windows Updates --> search for updates and was told that there are no updates.
    So I guess I'll have to wait...
    anyway SoftwareDistribution and its subfolder DeliveryOptimization are still there (empty).
    thank you

zivshosh, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. odd folder added that I cannot delete - Similar Threads - odd folder added

2. I cannot delete a folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I cannot delete a folder: Hello,I cannot delete a folder from my Downloads. When I try to delete it I get a "Item Not Found" message. "Could not find this itemThis is no longer located in C:\Users....... Verify the item's location and try again."I've tried to use the Command Prompt. It gives me the...
  3. I cannot delete a folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I cannot delete a folder: Hello,I cannot delete a folder from my Downloads. When I try to delete it I get a "Item Not Found" message. "Could not find this itemThis is no longer located in C:\Users....... Verify the item's location and try again."I've tried to use the Command Prompt. It gives me the...
  4. Cannot Delete a folder

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot Delete a folder: [ATTACH] New drive is created automatically [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-delete-a-folder/5aacf868-efc9-473e-bea1-7a5b0fd9c9c7
  5. Cannot delete folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot delete folders: I used to use Memeo backup and the backup files it created got into my OneDrive folder when Microsoft decided to put my Desktop in OneDrive. I have unlinked OneDrive, so I just have ordinary folders that contain the old Desktop folders. I have brought up an elevated command...
  6. Cannot delete folders

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot delete folders: I have a bunch of folders which either are empty or I want to delete it. But when I try to delete it, it says the folder’s in use (even though it’s not) or it just doesn’t pop any of windows or confirmation window out. So what exactly is happening? submitted by /u/kolbyng...
  7. Cannot delete folder

Cannot delete folder: I am the administrator and I cannot delete a folder. When I try to Change Ownership from SYSTEM [ATTACH] the window modal blinks and then Change is greyed out. [ATTACH] I've tried deleting from command prompt as well, but I get Access Denied....
  8. cannot delete folder

cannot delete folder: At my desktop, I create a folder but when I am going to delete the folder it shows an error message -"could not find this item". How can I solve this issue? Though I find an article on a website it does not fic my problem....
  9. Cannot delete folder

Cannot delete folder: I have seen a few posts about how to delete a file or folder when 'Item Not Found' and 'Could not find this item' dialogue appears, but the thread is locked. I have tried to follow the answer given, re command prompt, but could not make it work. I am not a skilled user in...
  10. Cannot Delete a Folder

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Cannot Delete a Folder: When I try to delete the remaining folder after uninstalling a software in Program Files I get a message: "You require permission from SYSTEM to make changes to this folder", although I'm the administrator. Please help me to fix this problem. 43032