Windows 10: Odd issue that just literally started... can't run anything.

Discus and support Odd issue that just literally started... can't run anything. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So I was using my laptop (older Elitebook 2540p) that I upgraded to Windows 10 a few months ago, using Google Sketchup Make 2016. Shut down a couple... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by pbc, Jun 17, 2016.

1. PBC
    pbc Win User

Odd issue that just literally started... can't run anything.

So I was using my laptop (older Elitebook 2540p) that I upgraded to Windows 10 a few months ago, using Google Sketchup Make 2016.

Shut down a couple hours ago, and now rebooted. The system takes a bit longer to boot up, and seems to get to a point where the main page pops up. But ... that's it.

Looking at my bottom right panel, I only see the battery indicator and notification icons. Clicking on them does not bring anything up.

Clicking on the start button does nothing as well. I can bring up Explorer by hitting the windows key and E and can move around the directory structure fine, but can't open any files. E.g., tried opening a jpg, sometimes it will bring up the Photos app (or Pictures, can't recall), but the screen is black and the pic doesn't show up. Clicking on say Chrome does not open the program.

Looking at the task manager, it says there are no processes running (I've never seen that before in my life!). 0% CPU utilization, 0/0mb memory, 0% disc.

Forcing a restart doesn't help (just gets to the same spot).

Any suggestions as I've never seen this one before!

Thanks!

:)

2. JadeFIN Win User

CLEAN install of Windows 10 on new build - Reboots before setup - Kernel_Security_Failure

I was afraid this would happen....that I would get a response telling me to do something in Windows. I can't see the desktop. I cannot run Check Disk, I can't start in Safe mode or anything.

I can't even get to the setup. It simply starts loading files and then reboots, only to do the same thing. I literally have no functions to work with except BIOS (as I highlighted above).

Unfortunately that link doesn't help.

What I'm wondering is either could it be a motherboard issue or not. It's a very odd behaviour.

JadeFIN, Jun 17, 2016
  3. VulakAerr Win User
    Twitter feeds not working in Groups.

Things have literally just started working again for me. I didn't change anything whatsoever and it's all up and running again. Craziness.

VulakAerr, Jun 17, 2016
  4. PBC
    pbc Win User

BTW, msconfig.exe works so I'm going to try and boot in safe mode. It hanged when I shut down and said some sort of taskmanager was running...hmmm.

5. AndreTen Win User
    Try setting up new user (WIN+r) and type control. It will bring control panel up. If this works you know your path..

AndreTen, Jun 18, 2016
  6. Try this:
    Right click the Windows icon
    Odd issue that just literally started... can't run anything. [​IMG]
    (aka Start button) on the Taskbar
    Select Command Prompt (Admin)

Enter the following in the Command Prompt window:
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

SFC /ScanNow
    If there are any errors on the screen after the commands run,
    Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs
    Right click the CBS folder
    Select Send to > Compressed (zip) folder
    answer yes to place on DesktopAttach the zip folder to your next post
    Full tutorials:
    Run DISM in Command Prompt
    Run SFC /ScanNOW in Command Prompt

Slartybart, Jun 18, 2016
  7. PBC
    pbc Win User
    So tried this, seemed to work. Deleted my old user acct and used the new one for a bit...and it is back to the same issue.

8. PBC
    pbc Win User

If there are any errors on the screen after the commands run,Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs
    Right click the CBS folderSelect Send to > Compressed (zip) folder
    answer yes to place on DesktopAttach the zip folder to your next post
    Full tutorials:
    Run DISM in Command Prompt
    Run SFC /ScanNOW in Command Prompt Will give this a go...tx

9. PBC
    pbc Win User
    Okay...ran both and it mentioned that corrupt files were all fixed...will see if that helps!

Thema:

1. Odd issue that just literally started... can't run anything. - Similar Threads - Odd issue literally

2. Can't "run as admin" for anything

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't "run as admin" for anything: It all started with a memory issue. I replaced the ram and that fixed my first problem. Now whenever I try to open anything as admin I get "One or more copies of data on this device may be out of sync. No writes may be performed until data integrity scan is completed."Things...
  3. Literally can’t do anything.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Literally can’t do anything.: I need help. Recently, my PC started looping automatic repair mode. No fixes that I found online could fix it so I decided to just factory reset it. After doing this, my PC worked for about an hour and now I literally cannot click on or open anything so I can’t even reset the...
  4. Is there anything - literally ANYTHING - that Cortana CAN do?

in Cortana
    Is there anything - literally ANYTHING - that Cortana CAN do?: The forums are full of people pointing out that Cortana is no longer capable of performing any tasks whatsoever other than stating "I can't help you with that' and, bizarrely, searching bing as though it thinks that "book an appointment for 2pm" means "please search the...
  5. I literally can't do anything.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I literally can't do anything.: How do i recover my files if literally every file is deleted to the point where not even Microsoft edge or anything works ._. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-literally-cant-do-anything/a5140cbe-dd25-43d4-aebe-009e2e0db5a8"
  6. Why can't we just pin anything to the start menu?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why can't we just pin anything to the start menu?: I mean seriously. This seems like something that should be a dead simple thing to do. But instead it's needlessly complicated. I want to just drag and drop a shortcut to the start menu, but I can't....
  7. Guys please help I literally can't do anything!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Guys please help I literally can't do anything!: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/jonJon12334 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/e9pd4e/guys_please_help_i_literally_cant_do_anything/
  8. Can't run anything as administrator

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't run anything as administrator: I mistakenly did a quick reply at the end of the tutorial for running an app as administrator in Windows 10. I'm on a PC running Windows 10 Pro, version 1903 (OS Build 18362.476), Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4570 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 3201 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s). Asus...
  9. Can't run anything as admin

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Can't run anything as admin: I updated from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Now I can't run anything as administrator. I just receive File system error (-1073741819) The annoying thing about the problem is that it means I can't actually run cmd in order to run sfc /scannow - although I did manage to run...
  10. Can't run anything as adminstrator

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't run anything as adminstrator: When I try to run any program as an adminstrator an this error pops up: [img] it says This app can't run on your PC to find a version for your PC, check with the software publisher. 93554