Windows 10: Odd owner folder name

Discus and support Odd owner folder name in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, After having installed win 10, windows has chosen w/o consulting me a concatenation of my 1st name and few characters of my last name as my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by g2c, Feb 11, 2017.

1. G2C
    g2c Win User

Odd owner folder name

Hello,

After having installed win 10, windows has chosen w/o consulting me a concatenation of my 1st name and few characters of my last name as my folder name (the one in c:\users\). Can I change it back to my first name or <first>space<last> or anything sensible?

Thank you in advance

:)

2. ownership

To take ownership of a file or folder

Open File Explorer, and then locate the file or folder you want to take ownership of.

Right-click the file or folder, click Properties, and then click the Security tab.

Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.

Click Edit, and then do one of the following:

To change the owner to a user or group that is not listed, click Other users and groups and, in Enter the object name to select (examples), type the name of the user or group, and then click OK.

To change the owner to a user or group that is listed, in the Change owner to box, click the new owner.

(Optional) To change the owner of all subcontainers and objects within the tree, select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.

Andre Da Costa, Feb 11, 2017
  3. Sharing

You need to take owner of the Users folder:

Right-click the file or folder, click Properties, and then click the Security tab.

Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.

Click Edit, and then do one of the following:

To change the owner to a user or group that is not listed, click Other users and groups and, in Enter the object name to select (examples), type the name of the user or group, and then click OK.

To change the owner to a user or group that is listed, in the Change owner to box, click the new owner.

(Optional) To change the owner of all subcontainers and objects within the tree, select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.

Andre Da Costa, Feb 11, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Odd owner folder name

NavyLCDR, Feb 11, 2017
  5. EdTittel Win User
    If you initially signed on with a Microsoft account, it usually grabs the first 5 chars of your Live ID as the folder name inside %homedrive%\Users. Haven't seen a concatenation for folder name generation in a while, though: very interesting. You might want to check out this Superuser tutorial if you're interested in changing your user account folder name: onedrive - How to rename the User folder in Windows 10? - Super User. If anybody knows a similar tutorial here at TenForums.com, please point to it: I've seen it discussed in lots of threads here, but I'll be darned if I can find it.
    Thanks and HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Feb 11, 2017
  6. Winuser Win User
    I don't think you can just rename it. Not sure but you may be able to change it by doing a repair install. You will keep all your programs and settings. When installing Windows 10 if you use your MS account Windows will use the first 5 letters of your email address. To get around this use a local account. After Windows is installed and running you can switch to your MS account. Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

Winuser, Feb 11, 2017
  7. G2C
    g2c Win User
    Thanks NavyLCDR, I created a user with my 1st name and 'it' created a folder with a name (user something, don't remember) which I could change back to my 1st name (with win explorer, after rebooting). Then Changed this account to admin.

Now I don't know how to "attach" this new account to my Microsoft account and than to remove the folder with the half concatenated name

8. NavyLCDR New Member

Odd owner folder name

NavyLCDR, Feb 11, 2017
  9. G2C
    g2c Win User
    all messed up. Resetting the machine. I think it was a very bad idea to upgrade to win 10

10. mrgeek Win User
    "Now I don't know how to "attach" this new account to my Microsoft account and than to remove the folder with the half concatenated name"

Give the Local User account admin privileges. You now have 2 admins. the screwed up name + the new Local User with correct name. Now, go to C:\Users and you'll see a folder with each name. Move all the files, like Music, Pictures, etc, from the screwed up name in C:\Users/'screwed' to the empty, corresponding folders with correct user name. For next steps, make SURE you know your MS email acct name and password.
    Then in Control Panel/Users, delete the account with the bad name and confirm 'delete this user's files'. Next, in Action Center/ Users, in the Local Account, use the option to 'sign in with MS account instead' and then when you sign in with MS acct, all your files will have the correct user name, the one you set up the Local Acct with. Restart and you'll have to use your MS acct from now on. Then set up a new PIN, if you prefer to use that instead.

"Resetting the machine."

This time, on initial set up when it asks you 'who will be using this ...', create a Local User only, with your correct name, THEN select 'sign in with your MS account instead' from the Users section of Action Center and your user files will have the correct name.

mrgeek, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Odd owner folder name

1. Odd owner folder name - Similar Threads - Odd owner folder

2. Odd Image File Names

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Odd Image File Names: I was browsing & cleaning my Image files and came across some Icons I'm not familiar with. They have .jpg extensions and the icon looks like wall paper swaches for lack of a better term. Anyway, the Icons are square and have a pattern that looks like wall paper. There are...
  3. Odd Image File Names

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Odd Image File Names: I was browsing & cleaning my Image files and came across some Icons I'm not familiar with. They have .jpg extensions and the icon looks like wall paper swaches for lack of a better term. Anyway, the Icons are square and have a pattern that looks like wall paper. There are...
  4. Odd Image File Names

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How do I rename the "owner" folder to my own name?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I rename the "owner" folder to my own name?: I just bought a new computer with Windows 11. I had the data transferred from my old Windows 10 computer. , which had my own name listed under "Users" I can't easily access my documents since they are all listed as existing the folder [my name] but the new machine has them in...
  6. How do I rename the "owner" folder to my own name?

How do I rename the "owner" folder to my own name?: I just bought a new computer with Windows 11. I had the data transferred from my old Windows 10 computer. , which had my own name listed under "Users" I can't easily access my documents since they are all listed as existing the folder [my name] but the new machine has them in...
  7. How to change owner name of documents

How to change owner name of documents: Hi, I created an user for my PC and since then the documents folder has been named for example "C:\Users\xxx\Downloads"Now I changed the PC name, and i'd like to change xxx to this new name. Is it possible?...
  8. Owner Name, File Details

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Owner Name, File Details: I recently changed my User name from my email to my actual name so that my file locations were easier to interact with, that went well. However, I now notice that when I go to Properties and then Details of any file that the Owner name is Desktop\MyEmail so I then changed the...
  9. Odd folder in Chrome

in Browsers and Email
    Odd folder in Chrome: Was looking for something and came across this folder in Chrome. It got me a bit worried so I restored a previous Windows image but when I updated Chrome it was back. The folders with male and female names have exactly that, a bunch of names. The password folder has a bunch...
  10. Change owners name

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change owners name: How do I change the register owners name? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-owners-name/bf1794c1-48c3-4f57-ac27-18d8890ed1f6