Windows 10: Odd problem My hard wired keyboard is swapping characters

Discus and support Odd problem My hard wired keyboard is swapping characters in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a recurring problem with my hardwired keyboards, and not with the Logitech wireless keyboards. I am using a Das Professional 4 keyboard, and I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by transmaster, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Odd problem My hard wired keyboard is swapping characters

I have a recurring problem with my hardwired keyboards, and not with the Logitech wireless keyboards. I am using a Das Professional 4 keyboard, and I have a cheap Amazon Basic keyboard for a backup. The problem is the " and @ exchange positions on these keyboards. If I do and upper case for " I get @, and vise versa, and only with this combination. It doesn't happen that often and if I reboot the computer is straightens it out. I thought the problem had to do with the cheap Amazon Basic keyboard. But I have it with this Das Pro 4 a rather expensive 3.0 keyboard I gave myself for Christmas. I have not played with the key mapping on this system. It is more of a annoyance than anything else. Has anyone else had this problem and is there a fix for it.

:)

transmaster, Dec 29, 2017
  2. AnnPatras Win User

Keyboard Swapping characters

This made no difference at all. And it wasn't just the remote keyboard which did this anyway, it was the actual laptop one too. Only occurred since MS update a few days ago. I upgraded to Windows 10 weeks ago and it was OK after that.

AnnPatras, Dec 29, 2017
  3. AnnPatras Win User
    Keyboard Swapping characters

Thanks. I'll try this first thing in the morning. Off to bed now. Odd problem My hard wired keyboard is swapping characters :)

AnnPatras, Dec 29, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

Odd problem My hard wired keyboard is swapping characters

Typically this happens when a US (or UK) keyboard is used with a UK (or US) layout. Another difference is that Shift+3 is # with a US layout and £ for a UK layout.

Do you see ENG UK, ENG US or ENG INTL to the left of the time/date on the taskbar? This would show you have more than one keyboard layout installed. You can have still have multiple keyboard layouts even if you only have the one language installed.

Look in Settings > Time & language > Region & language. Do you have more than one language here? If there's just the one, click on it then select 'Options'. Do you have more than one keyboard listed here? If so, you may be inadvertently switching keyboard layouts, it's easy to do with the WinKey+Spacebar.

I presume both your keyboards are US. This would be confirmed by the # symbol being Shift+3. Using a UK layout with this keyboard would switch the " and @ characters. Remove any keyboard layouts in Setting that you do not need.

5. Helmut Win User
    That is typical of a wrong Keyboard selection. You have to select the Keyboard it is.
    You can tell by looking at the keys layout, or the label stuck on the back, or the model number.

The language selection is separate, you can for example have US Eng and UK Eng on the same UK keyboard.

Settings > Time & Language > Region & Language > click on the Language > Options > check on the keyboard selection if wrong, Add the correct Keyboard.
    Then remove the wrong keyboard, if not required.

Then obviously Restart.

Helmut, Dec 29, 2017
  6. Thanks Bree, and Helmut that fixed it I didn't notice the ENG in the taskbar per your instructions I deleted the UK regional settings. Thank you so much!!!

transmaster, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Odd problem My hard wired keyboard is swapping characters

1. Odd problem My hard wired keyboard is swapping characters - Similar Threads - Odd problem hard

2. Keyboard - @ and " are swapped.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard - @ and " are swapped.: Keyboard - @ and " are swapped.I have tried a number of different things and looked through the online answers and Googled online, but have had no luck. Please help!...
  3. Keyboard - @ and " are swapped.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keyboard - @ and " are swapped.: Keyboard - @ and " are swapped.I have tried a number of different things and looked through the online answers and Googled online, but have had no luck. Please help!...
  4. Microsoft Wired Keyboard 600 inputs multiple characters for some keys

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Microsoft Wired Keyboard 600 inputs multiple characters for some keys: Hello,I've recently bought a Microsoft Wired 600 keyboard French, France, and I've got an issue with it : for some keys, it inputs multiple characters.When I started using it, it worked perfectly fine, but I plugged it in a Ubuntu computer, and then came the problem : when I...
  5. Odd Hard Drive Problem

Odd Hard Drive Problem: I'm trying to fix a 9 year old Sony SVR-HDT500 video recorder which contains a 500 GB hard drive optmised for video recording. The fault symptoms are slow loading of menus and jittery playback. I removed the hard drive and checked it connected to a PC. There are no obvious...
  6. Problems with the Microsoft Wired Keyboard 600

Problems with the Microsoft Wired Keyboard 600: Hello, I have a Microsoft Wired Keyboard 600 that I purchased a few days ago. At first it worked very well, until a couple of days ago. Out of nowhere it stopped working and didn't recognize any key although the num lock light stayed on, it couldn't be turned off....
  7. hard drive swap

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    hard drive swap: I have a new computer, and have that computer all setup. Can I take the old hard drive from the old computer and put it into the new computer (I dont need help on the mechanics). It is currently formatted for 2 logical drive. The current c: drive, I would reformat and use...
  8. Swapping hard drives

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Swapping hard drives: How do I go about backing up windows to clone on a new hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/swapping-hard-drives/fac9a444-4f53-480d-aebc-2c98f61997fa
  9. Swapping hard drives.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Swapping hard drives.: I have recently purachsed a new laptop. A dell Inspiron 5570 and it came with a 1TB Hard Disk Drive. I also purchased a solid state drive with the plan to swap rhem out. I cant seem to figure out how to migrate the OS and files from the HDD to the SSD. I cannot boot...
  10. Hard wire

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard wire: My laptop was working great hard wired, it stoped working suddenly. It will work wireless but does not work when wired? 35481