Windows 10: odd windows shortcut key problem

Discus and support odd windows shortcut key problem in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I'm running Windows 10 build 15063 on an X99 motherboard. Odd problem: There must be at least one application open and visible on my desktop in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by sgt panties, May 7, 2017.

1. odd windows shortcut key problem

Hi, I'm running Windows 10 build 15063 on an X99 motherboard.

Odd problem: There must be at least one application open and visible on my desktop in order for any of my user-defined shortcut keys to work.

I have several shortcuts to which I've given Ctl-Alt sequences for, but all of a sudden they've stopped working. If I open at least one application and it is not minimized to the task bar, my shortcuts will work normally. Some of the shortcuts are from the public desktop, others are custom to my non-admin-level user. As soon as I close or minimize the last app running on the desktop none of the shortcuts work.

My admin user does not have this problem. I examined the non-admin user access to the shortcuts, including "effective access" and there is nothing wrong. I've tried changing the Ctl-Alt sequence to one of them and "Apply" but to no effect.

The only things out of the ordinary I've done recently (in order) is:
    a) Installed the recent creator's update of Windows 10.
    b) Ran a Windows 2000 VM with VMWare player.
    c) Set the Vxt and Vxd bits in my BIOS to allow better VM performance.
    d) Updated my Nvidia display drivers. (I was quite behind, since I didn't use GeForce Experience.)
    e) Installed GeForce Experience.

I'm using EMET and Defender as virus protection.

I used AutoRuns and did the virus total, but nothing weird was found.

I'm going to try uninstalling GeForce Experience and possibly upgrade EMET (if I'm behind on that) and will report back if that fixed it, else I'm baffled. *Banghead

:)

sgt panties, May 7, 2017
  2. d_t_a Win User

E72 - Mark Items in "messaging/sms"

I find the choice of shortcut for marking a bit odd, and previously I was also stumped on how to do it.

Anyway, when in Messaging->Inbox (SMS), to mark/unmark the messages, use Ctrl+D-Pad cursor keys to select/unselect.

However, in Messaging->Emails, to mark/unmark messages, the command to use is Shift+D-Pad cursor keys.

Not sure why they had to use 2 different shortcut keys methods for marking/unmarking which stumped me previously.

=======

Kindly click the 'Kudos' button if this works for you.

d_t_a, May 7, 2017
  3. E66 [#] key shortcut problem

Hi belyj.

Please tell me your Product CODE from E66 ???

TNX again, Regards.

rooki---01, May 7, 2017
  4. odd windows shortcut key problem

EMET on Windows 10 is redundant, so I uninstalled it. (That however did not fix my problem.)

What DID fix the problem was uninstalling GeForce Experience. God knows why, but it fixed it.

sgt panties, May 7, 2017
Thema:

odd windows shortcut key problem

1. odd windows shortcut key problem - Similar Threads - odd shortcut key

2. Odd behavior of shortcut on start menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Odd behavior of shortcut on start menu: As of a few days ago one, and only one, of the icons pinned on my start menu stopped responding to mouse clicks, right or left. It sits there not responding. In addition when I scroll my start menu up or down that particular icon stays in the same physical location on the...
  3. Odd behavior of shortcut on start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Odd behavior of shortcut on start menu: As of a few days ago one, and only one, of the icons pinned on my start menu stopped responding to mouse clicks, right or left. It sits there not responding. In addition when I scroll my start menu up or down that particular icon stays in the same physical location on the...
  4. Odd behavior of shortcut on start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Odd problem with shortcut

in Windows 10 Support
    Odd problem with shortcut: Hi PC Spec as per Computer 1 (desktop) I have created a shortcut to an elevated command prompt which I wish to pin to the start menu. I can pin the shortcut to the start menu but here's the problem. When I double-click on the desktop shortcut (not yet deleted this), it...
  6. problem with shortcut key

in Windows 10 Customization
    problem with shortcut key: I have windows 10 and I havn't set any shortcut key for opening file explorer window shortcut key for file explorer is none in shortcut tab but when I press CTRL+F12 file explorer window open and show quick access window I wnat delete this shortcut key but I don't know how...
  7. Windows Key Shortcut Problem

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Key Shortcut Problem: Everytime I use Windows Key Shortcuts , Start Menu opens. For an example when I press Windows Key + R to open Windows Run, it works but it opens start menu too. It's same at Windows Key + X, and others.How can I solve it? (Sorry because of my poor english knowledge)...
  8. Windows shortcut key problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows shortcut key problem: I got a problem and it's that when I do a Windows + something command the windows shortcut key gets stuck and every key I press launches the Win + that key shortcut and restart PC it works normally again. The advanced startup functions are completely useless in this case....
  9. Odd Windows Activation Problem

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Odd Windows Activation Problem: Hi! I have an odd activation problem. I built a back up windows 10 machine about a year ago. At that time when I bought the parts, I bought a copy of Windows 10 Home. Windows was activated no problem, then the machine has been off line and idle since just after it was...
  10. Odd key translation problem on Windows 10 tablet?

in Windows 10 Support
    Odd key translation problem on Windows 10 tablet?: I bought a Chuwi Hi10 Pro Windows 10 tablet with the idea of working on a mobile version of a database program that I've developed for my desktop computers using Embarcadero RAD Studio Delphi. I also have Ultra VNC installed so I can work on the tablet from my desktop. I've...