Windows 10: Oddly named large file in recycle bin, safe to delete?

Discus and support Oddly named large file in recycle bin, safe to delete? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello. I was recently trying to to free up some space on my computer using a program, WizTree, to find the largest files on the computer. I noticed a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by kungfushark, May 31, 2016.

1. Oddly named large file in recycle bin, safe to delete?

Hello. I was recently trying to to free up some space on my computer using a program, WizTree, to find the largest files on the computer. I noticed a file (path is below), that was taking up a significant amount of space. Does this file serve a particular purpose, or is it safe to delete? Thank you for any possible help.

File path:
    C:\$RECYCLE.BIN\S-1-5-21-902421406-1498751020-2984849007-1007\.���002a0000000557400b5a8b81d53b1b45

(On my screen, the question marks are squares)

:)

kungfushark, May 31, 2016

2. How do I restore files from the recycle bin of a system image? (windows 7 backup)

that's what happens to files in the recycle bin

they get renamed when placed into the recycle bin

otherwise it would be impossible to delete any file or folder with the same name of one already in the recycle bin

when accessing an online recycle bin through the recycle bin folder in explorer you don't see the actual folder

but a pseudo folder and a background process that reads the database file of the changed names to display the original file names

when you access an offline recycle bin by manually navigating the folders,

none of the original file / folder names will be seen

you need to find that database file in the offline recycle bin

open it and search for the original file name to find the recycle bin name corresponding to the original file name

Locutus deBorg, May 31, 2016
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Deleted item not appearing in Recycle Bin

Hi Terri, if you deleted a video file that was too large for the Recycle Bin and confirmed the deletion, then sorry, there will be no way to retrieve that file, since it would have bypassed the Recycle Bin . . .

DaveM121, May 31, 2016
  4. Oddly named large file in recycle bin, safe to delete?

Look at Recycle Bin proper, not the folder structure

If the original location was a TEMP folder - go ahead and empty RecycleBin

It's probably part of an install pkg, hard to tell with just a numerical file name.

Slartybart, May 31, 2016
  5. The odd part is that the file is not showing in the actual recycle bin. When I empty the recycle bin, the file stays. That is what made me think it may have been an important file.

kungfushark, Jun 1, 2016
  6. Ok, good information ...

The easiest thing to do is to delete the entire $Recycle.Bin folder.
    Use Shift+delete to bypass sending it to the recycle bin

It gets recreated automatically (at boot, or the next time you delete an object)

My guess is that the file overran the Recycle.bin size and it's stuck in limbo.

Slartybart, Jun 1, 2016
  7. Ok, tried, but it says that the file is open in another program. I also tried restarting Windows Explorer from Task Manager, then deleting the folder, but to no avail.

kungfushark, Jun 1, 2016
  8. fdegrove Win User

Oddly named large file in recycle bin, safe to delete?

Hi,

Try redoing the same operation when rebooted in safe mode.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Jun 1, 2016
  9. If what fdegrove suggested does not get you there, then boot into recovery
    Command Prompt at Boot - Open in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Your drive letter might have changed
    in the command prompt window enter

diskpart
    lis vol
    exit
    That will tell you the drive letters

cd to the driveLetter that has the errant file in $Recyle.bin

attrib -s -h $Recycle.bin

rmdir /s /q $Recycle.bin

Restart your machine in normal mode

Slartybart, Jun 1, 2016
  10. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

If you don't mind I think a typo slipped in. Happens to me all the time. *Wink

list vol

Best, *Wink

fdegrove, Jun 1, 2016
  11. I don't mind at all - glad you caught what very well could have been a typo. I do make them all the time *Wink

Just for reference though, most diskpart commands and objects can be abbreviated to the 1st 3 characters
    det(ail) dis(k), lis(t) par(tition), cre(ate) vol(ume) ...

Commands that are not unique to 3 characters, such as att(ributes) and att(ach), must use more characters.

Bill

Slartybart, Jun 1, 2016
  12. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Thanks for sharing this. I obviously had no idea some of these commands could be abbreviated. *Redface
    Should have: *Zip

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Oddly named large file in recycle bin, safe to delete?

1. Oddly named large file in recycle bin, safe to delete? - Similar Threads - Oddly named large

2. Odd items in my Recycle Bin

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Odd items in my Recycle Bin: Firstly, apologies if this isn't the right place to ask about this.I'd just noticed my Recycle Bin icon was full, and so I went to look when I saw these in there. I know I didn't delete any of them, and the top one seems to have something to do with my configuration settings....
  3. Odd items in my Recycle Bin

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Odd items in my Recycle Bin: Firstly, apologies if this isn't the right place to ask about this.I'd just noticed my Recycle Bin icon was full, and so I went to look when I saw these in there. I know I didn't delete any of them, and the top one seems to have something to do with my configuration settings....
  4. Recycle bin automatically deleting files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recycle bin automatically deleting files: Running Windows 8.1 - How do I stop the Recycle Bin from automatically deleting the items in case I want to restore a deleted file? The deleted files used to stay in the Recycle Bin until I deleted them. Now, a deleted file doesn't even make it to the Recycle Bin, it just...
  5. Recycle bin automatically deleting files

Recycle bin automatically deleting files: Running Windows 8.1 - How do I stop the Recycle Bin from automatically deleting the items in case I want to restore a deleted file? The deleted files used to stay in the Recycle Bin until I deleted them. Now, a deleted file doesn't even make it to the Recycle Bin, it just...
  6. Deleting files too large for recycling bin not freeing up space

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Deleting files too large for recycling bin not freeing up space: When I delete files too large for the recycling bin it just disappears and it doesn’t free up space, after deleting I can’t find the files anywhere submitted by /u/Vireviper [link] [comments]...
  7. Deleted files from recycle bin

Deleted files from recycle bin: Somehow, I did not do it, emptied the recycle bin with files I wanted to recover later. Is there a way to get those files back? I use the Recuva from CCleaner and it can't find them. Says I have a Harddisk Volume2 that's unable to determine file system type...don't know what...
  8. DELETE ALL FILES IN RECYCLE BIN, OR DELETE RECYCLE BIN ITSELF

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    DELETE ALL FILES IN RECYCLE BIN, OR DELETE RECYCLE BIN ITSELF: HOW CAN I DELETE ALL FILES IN RECYCLE BIN, OR DELETE "recycle bin" ITSELF? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/delete-all-files-in-recycle-bin-or-delete-recycle/eb83336a-44d1-47be-b51a-808eb6cbfc16
  9. Deleted Recycle Bin files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Deleted Recycle Bin files: I deleted some files from the recycle bin permanently a few months ago and I now realized that I need them. I’ve downloaded a few apps to recover these files but they all retrieved random stuff that weren’t my files. What are the best free online applications that will help...
  10. recycle bin and deleting certain files

recycle bin and deleting certain files: I like to keep my deleted files for a month or so before I delete entirely. Since I've had W10, I've found the Recycle Bin does not work properly. I've worked around it but I'm sick of it and would like the damn thing to work as it should. At the beginning of every month,...