Windows 10: OEM License after HD ZeroFill?

Discus and support OEM License after HD ZeroFill? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello Everyone, I am selling my Dell laptop to a friend and I wanted to be sure that none of my files will be accessible to him, for this, I chose... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by hugorafael, Aug 23, 2017.

1. OEM License after HD ZeroFill?

Hello Everyone,

I am selling my Dell laptop to a friend and I wanted to be sure that none of my files will be accessible to him, for this, I chose to do a zerofill to my hard disk.

The reason I'm posting here is that I am afraid that this will wipe the license information in my computer and he will not have a win10 license anymore. My computer has 9 partitions, two of which are named "Recovery and OEM". If I zerofill everything but these two, will it work?

What other method should I use? My laptop came with OEM 8.1

Thank You

:)

hugorafael, Aug 23, 2017

2. Activating Windows 10 after changing hardware

You did indeed have an OEM license and when you moved the HD to a new machine it needs a new license. You are attempting to use the generic place holder key from the previous computer.

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Aug 23, 2017
  3. Install process to follow in case I have to reinstall Windows 10 Pro

Two considerations.

First since win 10 came pre-installed that means it is OEM. OEM is tied to the hardware. If you change the motherboard you will need a new license. You can change HD, video, etc without needing a new license.

Once the system is activated as "Pro" you can clean install and it will check with the online activation servers verify your credentials and complete the installation (as Pro).

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Aug 23, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

OEM License after HD ZeroFill?

Don't worry about it. The same version of Windows 10 (home or pro) will activate itself after a clean install. It will either use the Windows 8 product key in BIOS or UEFI placed there by the manufacturer, or retrieve the digital license from Microsoft Activation servers stored there based on the unique hardware ID of the computer which was uploaded and stored when it was upgraded to Windows 10.

NavyLCDR, Aug 23, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    Welcome to TenForums @hugorafael

For a Windows 8 PC the product key should be embedded in the bios. You can check that with ShowKeyPlus.

TenForums - ShowKeyPlus

6. Thank you for your response!

So I ran ShowKeyPlus and saved a key backup file, now I should be OK wiping this hard drive new as long as I use this same key?

It showed as "OEM Edition: Win 8 RTM CoreSingleLanguage OEM*BiggrinM"

hugorafael, Aug 23, 2017
  7. Thank you!

But one of the 9 partitions in my HD is called "EFI System Partition" this will be wiped too, is that any problem?

I saved my key using @Brees tip

hugorafael, Aug 23, 2017
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

No problem. Windows will recreate it when reinstalled.

NavyLCDR, Aug 23, 2017
  9. cereberus Win User
    Be sure you download the windows 10 Home single language version.

cereberus, Aug 23, 2017
  10. Bree New Member
    Currently the install iso or USB made by the Media Creation Tool includes four editions: Pro, Home, Home (Single language) and Education. Setup will either install the edition appropriate to the key, if it can find it in your bios, or give you the choice if it can't. You can use DISM to check what's in your install media.

See Full Details about a Windows 10 ISO file

11. Thanks both of you for your replies

hugorafael, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. OEM License after HD ZeroFill? - Similar Threads - OEM License ZeroFill

2. Licensing OEM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Licensing OEM: Hey guys. I have a question and needed your support. I bought 40 computers with Windows 10 OEM from my company and I need to update Windows 10 to Windows 11, is it legal to update the operating system version so that there are no legal problems with MSFT? Thank you for your...
  3. Licensing OEM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Licensing OEM: Hey guys. I have a question and needed your support. I bought 40 computers with Windows 10 OEM from my company and I need to update Windows 10 to Windows 11, is it legal to update the operating system version so that there are no legal problems with MSFT? Thank you for your...
  4. Licensing OEM

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. OEM Licensing Program

OEM Licensing Program: Good day.I am building my own laptops/desktops/all in ones under an independent label.So I am looking for a link or further information of how to enroll in the OEM program so I can install the OS upon building the system.RegardsRoger...
  6. Query on OEM license

Query on OEM license: In 2019, I purchased a desktop computer with pre-installed Windows 10 Home likely OEM license. But product key was not provided by the retailer at the time of purchase. Recently, due to motherboard issue, it was replaced and OS was reinstalled. Now to activate the OS, I do...
  7. OEM License

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    OEM License: I bought an OEM win 10 for my new self built pc, I wish to know in order to keep my OEM win 10 valid which parts cannot change ? Can i change cpu, rams, graphics card and sound card ? If i am not wrong only the motherboard cannot change ? 169777
  8. OEM License

in Windows 10 Support
    OEM License: I bought an OEM win 10 for my new self built pc, I wish to know in order to keep my OEM win 10 valid which parts cannot change ? Can i change cpu, rams, graphics card and sound card ? If i am not wrong only the motherboard cannot change ? 169777
  9. OEM License

OEM License: Hi, I bought a windows 7 Home Edition retail version long time ago. I got upgraded for free to windows 10 when it came out. Now, I bought a new computer and I was able to transfer my license from my old computer to the new one. I found an OEM pro version for sale on...
  10. OEM license

OEM license: I have bought an OEM version of windows 10 which I bought at one of the authotized microsoft seller. The question is, is an OEM license legal to buy and install on my PC? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/oem-license/6735fdd5-b0ca-4e93-944f-f5a1f3c9caed