Windows 10: OEM re-reinstallation not activating

Discus and support OEM re-reinstallation not activating in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I had my OEM Windows 7 (upgraded to 10 Home) installation on my HDD and I was preparing to transfer it to my new SSD. I downloaded the ISO using the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by pugseason, Jan 30, 2016.

1. pugseason Win User

OEM re-reinstallation not activating

I had my OEM Windows 7 (upgraded to 10 Home) installation on my HDD and I was preparing to transfer it to my new SSD. I downloaded the ISO using the media creation tool (I think the selected edition was Windows 10). Burned it to USB, installed it, worked perfectly, activated fine. Next day though, I had my own reasons to reinstall that installation (using the same USB), but when I reinstalled again it installed the Pro version :S I don't know why, it didn't give me any option for it when installing.. but it wouldn't activate once installed. Ran the tool again to download "Windows 10 Home Single Language" because it said Home and I wanted to be sure, and it installed just that version... but it isn't activating like it should. I don't know if it needs to be exactly "Windows 10 Home", but there are so many inconsistencies here it's driving me crazy.

Error code 0x803F7001 "Activation failed because this device doesn't have a valid digital entitlement or product key."

I upgraded to Windows 10 from 7 and my product key is very different from W10 keys. If I click "change product key" it doesn't let me enter 0's and tells me they're an invalid character. My key is also shorter.

I need some help here cause I don't want to have to buy a whole new copy of windows. Should I contact support directly or might there be a fix?

:)

pugseason, Jan 30, 2016
  2. Tryx3 Win User

Replacing the Motherboard/CPU and the Hard Drive

afchlam,

You do not save your OEM Pro licence. The record of it being activated with Windows 10 Pro is saved on Microsoft's activation servers. You can reinstall and it will re-activate online.

Denis

Tryx3, Jan 30, 2016
  3. New PC and Windows 10

Thanks for the advice.

Don't these OEM installations come with bloat ware?

John Brock, Jan 30, 2016
  4. pugseason Win User

SOLVED! Of course as soon as I post it.. trust me I've been working on this for days... I downloaded the "Windows 10" edition once more and when I ran it from my bootable USB it actually gave me the option of Home or Pro before installing. NO idea why it wouldn't give me those options before, and NO idea why "Windows 10 Home Single Language" doesn't take "Windows 10 Home" keys.

pugseason, Jan 30, 2016
Thema:

1. OEM re-reinstallation not activating - Similar Threads - OEM reinstallation activating

2. Windows11 Pro OEM wont be re-activated

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows11 Pro OEM wont be re-activated: Our organization bought 6 identical laptops including WIN10 Pro OEM. Win10 licences were activated by the selling company.All laptops had to run same client-software, so I built 1 device and duplicated SSD outside of the laptop and plugged back in the SSD. All windows-clients...
  3. Windows11 Pro OEM wont be re-activated

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows11 Pro OEM wont be re-activated: Our organization bought 6 identical laptops including WIN10 Pro OEM. Win10 licences were activated by the selling company.All laptops had to run same client-software, so I built 1 device and duplicated SSD outside of the laptop and plugged back in the SSD. All windows-clients...
  4. Reinstalling Windows with an OEM License

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Reinstalling Windows with an OEM License: A friend wants to switch from a hard drive to an SSD on her HP laptop, which of these three would be feasible with carrying over her OEM license? It's Windows 10 Home. Installing Windows to the SSD fresh, activating with the OEM license/key (preferred). Copying over the...
  5. re-activate OEM license?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    re-activate OEM license?: I bought a new retail PC with a Windows 10 Home Licensc OEM. Then I bought a Windows Professional License separately and installed the license key, thus updating the PC to Windows Professional. If I would now remove the Professional license from the PC in order to install it...
  6. Windows OEM activation

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows OEM activation: If i have a PC with windows 7 activated on it OEM Is it legal to upgrade to windows 10 and activate it using that OEM from windows 7 ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-oem-activation/6d520fea-f354-4d9f-b9df-6904bdba92da
  7. Re-activating Windows after reinstallation

Re-activating Windows after reinstallation: hello, I've reinstalled windows on my laptop, and now it is in 'not activated' windows status. This is kinda old laptop, I've bought ~7 years ago in official retailer shop with pre-installed windows. I can see my device on account page, but can't access the old windows key to...
  8. Reinstallation oem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reinstallation oem: I wonder if it is possible to reinstall a harddrive in a computer as many times as I like with the oem dvd sort of windows 10. When a I got a computer from my parents for a few years ago there was a following dvd media that was supossed to be used only for reinstallation in...
  9. re-activation after reinstall (windows 10 pro)

re-activation after reinstall (windows 10 pro): Hi, My mum gave me her Laptop which she had from new. She had upgraded free to windows 10 from 8.1. when I got the laptop I re-installed windows 10 (PRO) and have never been able to activate. I believe she'd had Home version. I do not have a product key but when she gave it...
  10. Cannot activate reinstalled Windows with OEM key

Cannot activate reinstalled Windows with OEM key: I've reinstalled my Windows 10 Home edition because it was Chinese and I wanted English. Turned out my key was a single-language Chinese key so I've downloaded the Chinese installer to reinstall the original system and activate it so that I can at least have a working...