Windows 10: Office 2003 in Windows 10

Discus and support Office 2003 in Windows 10 in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; OK, I realize this is old software, and Microsoft no longer supports it, but it mainly still works well. Equally importantly for me, it is more user... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by global, Apr 25, 2016.

1. global Win User

Office 2003 in Windows 10

OK, I realize this is old software, and Microsoft no longer supports it, but it mainly still works well. Equally importantly for me, it is more user friendly than current versions and still does the job.

In fact, through forums like this, Office 2003 users and helpful experts and contributors have been able to employ workarounds or fixes which have vastly extended the life of this fine software.

For me, Word 2003, Excel 2003 and Outlook 2003 work fine with Windows 10 without Compatiblity Mode, with a few exceptions. Can anybody help with these?:

1. Under Open, Save or Save As, the folder My Recent Documents is always blank. Maybe this is because Word, etc. is looking for a folder containing recent docs which is no longer active under Win 10. Is there any way to point Word, etc. to this new Win 10 folder or any other fix so Recent Documents will populate? What folder are Recent Docs located in Win 10 and is this different from Win 8 and previous under which this function worked fine for Office 2003.

2. Similarly, is there any way for Word, etc. to be programmed to use the Win 10 File Explorer format for Open, Save and Save As, ie, with the Quick Access etc. icons along the left side? Right now, Word, etc. uses a very old style of File Explorer without Quick Access, etc.

3. The Autocomplete function (for auto-completing email addresses in the TO box of new or replied message) in Outlook 2003 is unusable in Win 10 when you have chosen that you want to use Word 2003 as your email editor. The program stalls or sometimes crashes when trying to use autocomplete. This mysteriously arose in Win 8 and now 10. If you use the native Outlook 2003 email editor, then Autocomplete functions normally, but there are many features of using Word 2003 as email editor not available on the Outlook 2003 email editor. Any suggestions to solve this so we can still use Word 2003 as email editor in Outlook 2003 with Autocomplete working under Win 10?

Any input on 1 2 or 3? REGEDITS are ok or anything else that an intermediate user/techie can accomplish.

Many thanks for your responses.

:)

global, Apr 25, 2016

2. If you install windows 10 will it still work with Microsoft office 7?

Which versions of Microsoft Office work on Windows 10?

The following versions of Microsoft Office with the latest Service Packs have been confirmed to be compatible with Windows 10:

Older versions of Office such as Office 2003 and Office XP are not certified compatible with Windows 10 but might work using compatibility mode.

Office 2003 should work, since a Microsoft employee, Gabe Aul who works in the Operating system group showed Word 95 running on Windows 10 64 bit.

Andre Da Costa, Apr 25, 2016
  3. RonBarker Win User
    If you install windows 10 will it still work with Microsoft office 7?

ZigZag

Have you any idea what effect Windows 10 will have on Office 2003. I have Office 2003 and 2013 on my computer. I need Office 2003 because I have Paperport and it is not compatible with Office 2013.

Cheers

RonBarker, Apr 25, 2016
  4. cereberus Win User

In short, answer is really no.

Really you should bite the bullet and upgrade to aa new version - so much slicker now.

cereberus, Apr 25, 2016
  5. I would argue that it isn't more user-friendly. I used to work in a 30 person company full of non tech savvy people. They fought the change from 2003 to 2007 because if the ribbon interface. After a few weeks, they all agreed it was much easier. Options weren't buried in menus anymore, but required less clicks.

Simply put, don't assume different is worse, or that a small learning curve means it is less user friendly.

DeaconFrost, Apr 26, 2016
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there.

Have you thought about running Office 2003 in a VM -- W7 or even XP. By using Host Only networking you don't have to connect the VM to the internet and you can open / write to files on the HOST with Windows explorer(from the VM). Ensure you have the disks / directories enabled as shared though.

Use vmplayer / vbox for free vm software.

Note - upgrading isn't always a matter of overcoming "User Resistance" -- sometimes for small businesses the upgrades can cost a LOT for very little reward - particularly if the users don't tend to use all the bells and whistles in Office.

I'm sure your users aren't creating spreadsheets like this for example !!!! although it will actually work in EXCEL 2003 !!!

Office 2003 in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 26, 2016
  7. For an individual, Office 2010 can be had for a very cheap cost...legal and cheap.

DeaconFrost, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Office 2003 in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Office 2003

2. Babylon dictionary is not working on office 2003

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Babylon dictionary is not working on office 2003: Yesterday it worked. Today it is not working It works 3 or 4 days then it stops getting words translated on the document I just use right click on any word then a small list will appear and in its bottom there is a choice to use Babylon just I click translate using babylon...
  3. Babylon dictionary is not working on office 2003

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Babylon dictionary is not working on office 2003: Yesterday it worked. Today it is not working It works 3 or 4 days then it stops getting words translated on the document I just use right click on any word then a small list will appear and in its bottom there is a choice to use Babylon just I click translate using babylon...
  4. Babylon dictionary is not working on office 2003

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. my office 2003 will no longer install with it's valid key from the cd. any way to fix?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my office 2003 will no longer install with it's valid key from the cd. any way to fix?: Computer hard drive failed. Replaced drive and started reloading software from my original disks. Office 2003 install will not accept the key. Is Microsoft somehow blocking the install?...
  6. my office 2003 will no longer install with it's valid key from the cd. any way to fix?

my office 2003 will no longer install with it's valid key from the cd. any way to fix?: Computer hard drive failed. Replaced drive and started reloading software from my original disks. Office 2003 install will not accept the key. Is Microsoft somehow blocking the install?...
  7. Office 2003 updates needed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Office 2003 updates needed: Hello All,I'm running an old database my Company bought in 2000 for $10K. I am last using it now as a Consultant part time. Too Many years of sales info and product to move to new database for a part time job.It was running fine in Windows 10 on Access 2003. But when one of...
  8. Office 2003 updates needed

Office 2003 updates needed: Hello All,I'm running an old database my Company bought in 2000 for $10K. I am last using it now as a Consultant part time. Too Many years of sales info and product to move to new database for a part time job.It was running fine in Windows 10 on Access 2003. But when one of...
  9. Office 2003 updates needed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  10. how do i stop receiving updates for Office 2003

how do i stop receiving updates for Office 2003: when i use - settings - windows updates i always recieve and update for Microsoft Word 2003 which blocks other updates from being updated.The response i get is Update for Office 2003 KB907417 Download error - 0x80096004 How can I stop the updates for Windows Updates Office...