Windows 10: Office 2016 Confusion Click to install and stand alone versions

Discus and support Office 2016 Confusion Click to install and stand alone versions in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; Hi there Windows update seems to get Office Updates into a total twist. Apparently 2 ways of installing Office -- either the "Click to Install"... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by jimbo45, Mar 20, 2016.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Office 2016 Confusion Click to install and stand alone versions

Hi there
    Windows update seems to get Office Updates into a total twist.

Apparently 2 ways of installing Office -- either the "Click to Install" from Ms directly or install from the MSDN iso.

If you install from the "Click to install" then updates come via clicking Update in the account settings.

If you install from the MSDN iso then updates come from standard Windows updates (enable update for other products from Ms).

However even with the click to install version you still see some updates coming via Windows update - and sometimes these fail.

Why Ms has two different update mechanisms for essentially the same product seems totally BONKERS and confusing to the user.

Note also if you have say the MSDN Office iso installed and now you want to add PROJECT 2016 then install fails with "Cannot install Click to Install Office products with Other versions -- so it would seem the only way is to uninstall the MSDN version and install the whole kybosh via the Click to install method.

A Real Pain if you need to install this stuff on a load of PC's as each one then needs a download (approx. 3GB each time ) - I'm using a VL version BTW.

The MSDN Iso is easy to install locally on a number of PC's.

Please FIX this mess Ms.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Mar 20, 2016
  2. Userbosco Win User

What happened to file and application icons after Windows 10 "upgrade"???

Office 10 and a stand alone version of Visio 2003, but it's not unique to Office files or executables.

Userbosco, Mar 20, 2016
  3. TeddyKT Win User
    Copy/Paste between Office 2016 apps broken

Dehavelyn,

Thank you for your reply. First off, this is Microsoft Office 2016 Home and Business; a complete Office suite. It is NOT an app store app. The troubleshooter you are pushing, I believe, is for apps from the app store. Office 2016 is not available in
    the app store. It is available from the Microsoft Store or companies like Newegg, BestBuy etc. It is a stand alone suite installed on a PC or Mac.

I was on the phone yesterday for about 2 hours with the Microsoft Office help desk. They were able to reproduce the issue and believes the problem is related to the last update pushed for "Office 2016". The problem was escalated and and engineer will be
    calling me today to look at the problem in depth.

Thanks

TeddyKT, Mar 20, 2016
  4. pcgeek11 Win User

I found this to also be true. Took me a few to get it sorted out.

pcgeek11, Mar 20, 2016
Thema:

1. Office 2016 Confusion Click to install and stand alone versions - Similar Threads - Office 2016 Confusion

2. 22H2 offline stand-alone upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    22H2 offline stand-alone upgrade: How can I manually upgrade a Windows 10 machine from version 20H2 to 22H2 without connecting it to the internet? It's completely stand alone. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/22h2-offline-stand-alone-upgrade/9fb5855f-e8b8-4108-998e-e2a9728827d9
  3. 22H2 offline stand-alone upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    22H2 offline stand-alone upgrade: How can I manually upgrade a Windows 10 machine from version 20H2 to 22H2 without connecting it to the internet? It's completely stand alone. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/22h2-offline-stand-alone-upgrade/9fb5855f-e8b8-4108-998e-e2a9728827d9
  4. Stand alone games not launching...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stand alone games not launching...: EVE online and Elder Scrolls online aren't launching properly. All my games in Steam have no issues. For some reason games outside of Steam and Microsoft games there is a glitch. The games try and load .... then nothing. It's weird. I just updated my motherboard recently and...
  5. Stand alone games not launching...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Stand alone games not launching...: EVE online and Elder Scrolls online aren't launching properly. All my games in Steam have no issues. For some reason games outside of Steam and Microsoft games there is a glitch. The games try and load .... then nothing. It's weird. I just updated my motherboard recently and...
  6. win 11 stand alone OEM?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    win 11 stand alone OEM?: Is windows 11 only an upgrade from win 8 or 10? with all the problems I read on win 11 upgrade I don't want to upgrade to 11. I build my own computers, my question is will win 11 be available as an OEM so I can do a stand alone full install on a new computer build?...
  7. win 11 stand alone OEM?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    win 11 stand alone OEM?: Is windows 11 only an upgrade from win 8 or 10? with all the problems I read on win 11 upgrade I don't want to upgrade to 11. I build my own computers, my question is will win 11 be available as an OEM so I can do a stand alone full install on a new computer build?...
  8. Info on Installing Office 2019 Stand Alone

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Info on Installing Office 2019 Stand Alone: I am looking for detailed installation information for MS Office Home & Student 2019, text or video, that will preview the entire installation process. What I am looking in this info for is: Does the stand alone product install old-school, without the need to enter a...
  9. H.264 stand alone DVR

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    H.264 stand alone DVR: I cannot view my home security system (h.264) in microsoft edge i have set all my ports forwarding in my router and they are open and my router is not blocking those Any suggestions Charlie...
  10. Microsoft Excel stand alone disk.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Microsoft Excel stand alone disk.: Can I purchase a Microsoft Excel stand alone disk for my DELL Desk Top computer? And, if I can, where do I purchase it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-excel-stand-alone-disk/097fac70-11ef-4894-af03-ff0d504a3595"