Windows 10: Office 2016 - Latest update - Black Theme now Gone

Discus and support Office 2016 - Latest update - Black Theme now Gone in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; Hey guys, new to the forum. Running Windows 10 Pro Version 1703 BUILD 15063.540 and the newest build of Office 2016 Pro version 1707 Build 8236.2058. I... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by jimbo45, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Wynona Win User

Office 2016 - Latest update - Black Theme now Gone

I'm on the Insider Preview of Office 365 ProPlus 8326.2070, which is the conservative version; there are others who are further out there on the cutting edge.

I have Colorful, Dark Gray, Black and White. I've checked them all and they work. For myself, I use colorful.

Dumb question, but have you checked for updates lately?

Wynona, Aug 8, 2017
  2. lx07 Win User

They aren't using 365 though - that was their point.

3. Wynona Win User
    Oops! I misread. That stinks! Gonna go back and read to see where I went wrong.

Wynona, Aug 8, 2017
  4. Wynona Win User

OK, I see where I messed up:

Office 2016 - Latest update - Black Theme now Gone [​IMG]
    Originally Posted by Fifth313ment

Hey guys, new to the forum. Running Windows 10 Pro Version 1703 BUILD 15063.540 and the newest build of Office 2016 Pro version 1707 Build 8236.2058. I did the above and changed the reg key to 4 and locked it to read only. Now I'm stuck on colorful, even if I change the theme in the app. I think M$ removed the black theme from non-365 builds. Does anyone have any ideas or more information as I'm bumping this thread from back in April it seems, lol. It's crazy as we pay for Office and then cant use certain features as we're not dumb enough to spend $100 per year for life and instead buy the retail version, lol? Thanks again...

The bolded red statement "newest build" makes me think the OP is speaking to Office 365 2016 Preview. I missed the second statement that clarifies (more or less) that he obviously has the standalone version of Office.

Wynona, Aug 8, 2017
  5. swarfega Win User
    My office just updated. I am on Pro Plus version 1707 build 8326.2070. Still no black. You'd think they'd add the option to honour if its white/black system theme.

swarfega, Aug 8, 2017
  6. Wynona Win User
    Let me see if Screenpresso got this:

Wow, finally got one to "take"!

This is from my Office ProPlus Version 1707 (Build 8326.2070 Click to Run) I've tried all options and each one has worked just fine.

I don't understand why others aren't getting the options I'm getting.

Wynona, Aug 9, 2017
  7. Dude Win User
    What channel is your Office ProPlus Version 1707 (Build 8326.2070 Click to Run)

8. Wynona Win User

Channel? I don't understand, but I'd think that if we both have the same exact version, we should have the same options?

Wynona, Aug 9, 2017
  9. Dude Win User
    I mean the retail version, not O365 shows this, and black theme is not available

10. Wynona Win User
    I hate to appear so dumb, Doug, but what you're showing me is the "standalone" retail version? It's not a subscription?

I'm an Office 365 Insider, which is why I have a version so far ahead, I think. Swarfega is probably an Office Insider too, since our versions match.

Wynona, Aug 9, 2017
  11. flybynite Win User
    This requires a bit of know-how, and is only available for the 64-bit edition, but you CAN enable the Black Theme.

flybynite, Aug 9, 2017
  12. Wynona Win User
    Aha! Now I see! I have been installing Office 365 2016 64 bit from the get-go because I have a 64 bit Windows 10 computer. I had never even thought that there would be a real difference between 32 bit and 64 bit.

Wynona, Aug 9, 2017
  13. flybynite Win User

Basically I only use two files for each Office Program I want black. Note: This does NOT work for Access, so don't even try. I change the target in each office program shortcut (Word, Excel, etc.) to point to a .vbs file. I use this for aesthetic reasons because I do NOT like the flash of a command window every time I open an office program, and the .vbs file makes the command window transparent. Please remember if you use these, and you need two for each program, that you must adjust the paths for your PC.

First the cmd file
    Code: regedit.exe /S C:\Customizations\OfficeBlackTheme\blacktheme.reg "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\WINWORD.EXE" regedit.exe /S C:\Customizations\OfficeBlackTheme\blacktheme.reg[/quote] and now the .vbs file Code: Dim WinScriptHost Set WinScriptHost = CreateObject("WScript.Shell") WinScriptHost.Run Chr(34) & "C:\Customizations\OfficeBlackTheme\word.cmd" & Chr(34), 0 Set WinScriptHost = Nothing[/quote] Oh, I forgot the registry file Code: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common] "UI Theme"=dword:00000004 "PendingUITheme"=-[/quote]

flybynite, Aug 9, 2017
  14. Dude Win User
    This will only work when opening the program first. I always open the files I have saved(One Drive) so Im still looking for a way to do this.

15. England Win User
    This worked for me! Dark theme still remain after the application starts
    and now the .vbs file Code: Dim WinScriptHost Set WinScriptHost = CreateObject("WScript.Shell") WinScriptHost.Run Chr(34) & "C:\Customizations\OfficeBlackTheme\word.cmd" & Chr(34), 0 Set WinScriptHost = Nothing[/quote] Oh, I forgot the registry file Code: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common] "UI Theme"=dword:00000004 "PendingUITheme"=-[/quote] [/quote] Where do I have to put these file?

England, Aug 17, 2017
Thema:

1. Office 2016 - Latest update - Black Theme now Gone - Similar Threads - Office 2016 Latest

2. office pro 2016 orvewriten by 365 after latest update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    office pro 2016 orvewriten by 365 after latest update: the recent windows update has messed up my office pro 2016 my apps say it is what is installed and i have run both the quick fix and the on line fix but my word, ppt and excel still want to open with 365 and make me register it. i dont want 365 or i would not have paid for...
  3. Microsoft Office 2016 subsciption that came with my device now gone

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Microsoft Office 2016 subsciption that came with my device now gone: I factory reset my device yesterday and while installing programs again I found out that my Microsoft office subscription that came with the device is no more. I checked my account online and saw two laptop same model in my devices list while I own just one. I think while I...
  4. Latest update appears to have killed Office 2016

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Latest update appears to have killed Office 2016: I have Win10 and Office to update automatically. Since the latest, I cannot run Word or Excel. I get an error message saying "Something has gone wrong" and to retry. If that doesn't work to try repairing from Control Panel. Attempting this, gives me another error message,...
  5. Office 2016 latest update BLACK Theme

Office 2016 latest update BLACK Theme: Hi there YMMV but I'm not so sure about this one --it has a certain charm and probably will be liked by younger users on these boards -- however it's worth a look. After latest Office 2016 update there's the BLACK Theme . I don't have Office 365 but I'd imagine same...
  6. Office 2016 - Enable Black theme and keep it from disappearing

Office 2016 - Enable Black theme and keep it from disappearing: Hi there If you like the BLACK theme and have Office 2016 (not Office 365) you have to do two things 1) change the UI Theme key to 4 as shown in the diagram. 2) IMPORTANT - change the common folder for your user to READ ONLY !! otherwise it reverts back again to your...
  7. OFFICE 2016 not showing version after latest update

OFFICE 2016 not showing version after latest update: Hi there How do I find now what version / build level my Office 2016 PRO is at now it used to show the version if you went to "Office account" -- now version nr is missing. Cheers jimbo 82076
  8. Office 2016 Preview—update 2 now available

in Windows 10 News
    Office 2016 Preview—update 2 now available: When we launched the Office 2016 Preview in early May, we said that we would share regular updates on new features as they became available. Here’s a quick update on what we’ve delivered in the last month. New charts in Excel—There has been a lot of enthusiasm for the new...
  9. Screenshots from latest Office 2016 build reveals new colorful theme

in Windows 10 News
    Screenshots from latest Office 2016 build reveals new colorful theme: [img] The Office 2016 Consumer Tech Preview is well under way and today we're looking at some leaked screenshots from a new build. Just in case you weren't tired of leaks already, there aren't any Earth-shattering changes in 16.0.3823.1005, but there is a new theme...
  10. Change Theme of Office 2016 for Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Theme of Office 2016 for Windows: How to: Change Theme of Office 2016 for Windows How to Change Theme of Office 2016 for Windows [img] Information You can change the look and feel of all your Office programs by changing the Office Theme. In Office 2016 you can choose from Colorful, Black, Dark Gray,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Office 2016 Black theme missing